CERB Query

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello folks, I am a Canadian resident since one and a half years. I decided to visit my family in January and prepare for my exam. I left my job and would have joined again once I came back . I booked my return in March. In between the lockdown started and I was stuck as international travel was halted.

I read on many places that whether I was eligible for CERB. And some mentioned that Canadians stranded oversees could apply, although there were mixed opinions. Considering my expenses like life insurances, mobile bills, mutual funds payments etc, I applied for CERB. I got my payment 3 days ago. But what is bothering me now is did I make the correct decision. There have been talks that people who posted fraudulent claims could end up paying back 3 times the amount. And still stuck overseas, this is making me paranoid. Could someone suggest the appropriate steps that I should take please.

Regards
Nitin Katoch
You don't qualify. You left your job by choice, not due to COVID-19.

Reactions: jddd

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello folks, I am a Canadian resident since one and a half years. I decided to visit my family in January and prepare for my exam. I left my job and would have joined again once I came back . I booked my return in March. In between the lockdown started and I was stuck as international travel was halted.

I read on many places that whether I was eligible for CERB. And some mentioned that Canadians stranded oversees could apply, although there were mixed opinions. Considering my expenses like life insurances, mobile bills, mutual funds payments etc, I applied for CERB. I got my payment 3 days ago. But what is bothering me now is did I make the correct decision. There have been talks that people who posted fraudulent claims could end up paying back 3 times the amount. And still stuck overseas, this is making me paranoid. Could someone suggest the appropriate steps that I should take please.

Regards
Nitin Katoch
Agree with canuck_in_uk, you quit your job. You are not eligible. There is a way to pay back CERB now so suggest you do that before they start clawing back ineligible claims.

nitin2katoch

Jul 24, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-04-2017
AOR Received.
08-03/2017
Med's Done....
19-08-2017
Can you suggest how can I give the money back.

OmarSarfraz

Jul 25, 2014
Hi Everyone,
I have been a self-employed consultant with my company registered in Ontario. I have earned over $5k in the last 6 months and moved to Canada 7 months back. I have applied for spousal sponsorship. But due to covid-19 my consultancy work has been impacted and I have no work since 2 months. Do I qualify for CERB? (Please note I do have some savings for 2-3 months, and my spousal sponsorship is in process)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I have been a self-employed consultant with my company registered in Ontario. I have earned over $5k in the last 6 months and moved to Canada 7 months back. I have applied for spousal sponsorship. But due to covid-19 my consultancy work has been impacted and I have no work since 2 months. Do I qualify for CERB? (Please note I do have some savings for 2-3 months, and my spousal sponsorship is in process)
Yes you qualify as long as you haven't been working on a project during that time.

HeroHarman

Jan 26, 2016
Hello,

I have quit my job in first week of March 2020 thinking that I will be able to start one another job in April 2020 after few weeks of break. But due to COVID-19, I wasn't able to get and start that job in April 2020.

Am I eligible for any CERB eligibility period? I haven't been able to find any job yet in my engineering field.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I have quit my job in first week of March 2020 thinking that I will be able to start one another job in April 2020 after few weeks of break. But due to COVID-19, I wasn't able to get and start that job in April 2020.

Am I eligible for any CERB eligibility period? I haven't been able to find any job yet in my engineering field.
No you don’t qualify because you quit your job. If you had a signed contract for your job in April you may be able to claim from the start date in April.

HeroHarman

Jan 26, 2016
No you don’t qualify because you quit your job. If you had a signed contract for your job in April you may be able to claim from the start date in April.
Oh ok. Thanks. The job of April 2020 was just a verbal discussion. Nothing signed or started.

HeroHarman

Jan 26, 2016
So you didn’t lose a job due to covid so don’t qualify for CERB. Unfortunately you quit your job at the worst time.
I guess the person who can't find a job due to COVID-19 and not working is NOT the same as the person who lost his/her job due to COVID-19 and not working.

:(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I guess the person who can't find a job due to COVID-19 and not working is NOT the same as the person who lost his/her job due to COVID-19 and not working.

:(
The big issue is that you quit your last job. As you said bad timing. Would look at the details for the new support program. Have not looked at them yet and not sure if the final version has been confirmed.