CERB Query

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello folks, I am a Canadian resident since one and a half years. I decided to visit my family in January and prepare for my exam. I left my job and would have joined again once I came back . I booked my return in March. In between the lockdown started and I was stuck as international travel was halted.

I read on many places that whether I was eligible for CERB. And some mentioned that Canadians stranded oversees could apply, although there were mixed opinions. Considering my expenses like life insurances, mobile bills, mutual funds payments etc, I applied for CERB. I got my payment 3 days ago. But what is bothering me now is did I make the correct decision. There have been talks that people who posted fraudulent claims could end up paying back 3 times the amount. And still stuck overseas, this is making me paranoid. Could someone suggest the appropriate steps that I should take please.

Regards
Nitin Katoch
You don't qualify. You left your job by choice, not due to COVID-19.

Reactions: jddd

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello folks, I am a Canadian resident since one and a half years. I decided to visit my family in January and prepare for my exam. I left my job and would have joined again once I came back . I booked my return in March. In between the lockdown started and I was stuck as international travel was halted.

I read on many places that whether I was eligible for CERB. And some mentioned that Canadians stranded oversees could apply, although there were mixed opinions. Considering my expenses like life insurances, mobile bills, mutual funds payments etc, I applied for CERB. I got my payment 3 days ago. But what is bothering me now is did I make the correct decision. There have been talks that people who posted fraudulent claims could end up paying back 3 times the amount. And still stuck overseas, this is making me paranoid. Could someone suggest the appropriate steps that I should take please.

Regards
Nitin Katoch
Agree with canuck_in_uk, you quit your job. You are not eligible. There is a way to pay back CERB now so suggest you do that before they start clawing back ineligible claims.

nitin2katoch

Jul 24, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-04-2017
AOR Received.
08-03/2017
Med's Done....
19-08-2017
Can you suggest how can I give the money back.

OmarSarfraz

Jul 25, 2014
Hi Everyone,
I have been a self-employed consultant with my company registered in Ontario. I have earned over $5k in the last 6 months and moved to Canada 7 months back. I have applied for spousal sponsorship. But due to covid-19 my consultancy work has been impacted and I have no work since 2 months. Do I qualify for CERB? (Please note I do have some savings for 2-3 months, and my spousal sponsorship is in process)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I have been a self-employed consultant with my company registered in Ontario. I have earned over $5k in the last 6 months and moved to Canada 7 months back. I have applied for spousal sponsorship. But due to covid-19 my consultancy work has been impacted and I have no work since 2 months. Do I qualify for CERB? (Please note I do have some savings for 2-3 months, and my spousal sponsorship is in process)
Yes you qualify as long as you haven't been working on a project during that time.