+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB Query

Apr 13, 2020
I applied only for EI. I did not apply for both. But it was declared in the government sites that all the EI applied after 15th march would automatically be converted to CEBR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied only for EI. I did not apply for both. But it was declared in the government sites that all the EI applied after 15th march would automatically be converted to CEBR.
Just checking as some are applying for both. Unfortunately you have to try calling again.

Vlaire

Apr 18, 2020
Hello,
I am a part-time employee. I meet all the requirements for CERB except getting laid off my work, I am still working but I am losing drastic amount of hours due to the virus and I am not earning as much as I did before, what should I do?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,
I am a part-time employee. I meet all the requirements for CERB except getting laid off my work, I am still working but I am losing drastic amount of hours due to the virus and I am not earning as much as I did before, what should I do?
Nothing , you don’t qualify
Some provinces offer there own support , I’d investigate that

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
You may qualify with the changes made in a few days ago. All depends on how much you are still earning and whether it is above 1K.

troconis

Feb 21, 2019
You may qualify with the changes made in a few days ago. All depends on how much you are still earning and whether it is above 1K.
Hi there, I have that problem as well... let's say I've made $1065.00, am I eligible for CERB or just because of those $65 I'm not eligible?

Three O's

Jul 23, 2019
Hello am a refugee claimant I came to Canada Jan2020 and I got a training for a job after Tendays of training we were ask to stay home and I was sent email to apply for EI but never apply. I tried to look for something else and I got another job training in second week of this training I received a check and we were told someone was having coronavirus in the building so they want us work from home . I became scared and I keep going because I am afraid I decided to stop and want to apply for the CERB . Presently am feeling sick so I want to stay home and stop all work.. Pls I need advice Thanks Guys

Vicky1993

Apr 28, 2018
Hello am a refugee claimant I came to Canada Jan2020 and I got a training for a job after Tendays of training we were ask to stay home and I was sent email to apply for EI but never apply. I tried to look for something else and I got another job training in second week of this training I received a check and we were told someone was having coronavirus in the building so they want us work from home . I became scared and I keep going because I am afraid I decided to stop and want to apply for the CERB . Presently am feeling sick so I want to stay home and stop all work.. Pls I need advice Thanks Guys
The system does not work as you think.You are not eligible neither for EI neither for CERB.If you do a basic research you will realize to be eligible for EI you should have worked a long time to have the hours to be eligible.As you stated you came to Canada at January 2020 as make you ineligible for EI.Now as for CERB you have to have the last 12 months or the 2019 that is not in your case wages 5000 dollars or more to be able to receive the Cerb monthly payments.I assume you haven't made 5000 dollars with only these weeks of work so even if you are laid off as you are not as you were offered remotely work from home you are not eligible.It is really important you should be laid off, you cannot choose to stay home if you are offered to work remotely.If you decide to apply for CERB, later on you will have to repay it back.You should meet all the requirements and in this case you don't.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The only thing you may qualify for is welfare which you may be already receiving. You definitely don’t qualify for EI. If you apply for CERB you will have to pay it back unless you qualified for it which it doesn’t sound like you do. CERB is not for anyone who just wants to stay at home. Unless you know you have been exposed to someone with covid and don’t have a fever you are likely making yourself feel sick.

IntStudent29

May 1, 2020
Hello!

I am an international student. By all criteria I am eligible for CERB and I have already received my first payment of 2000 for the first period.

My question is can I apply in the second period for 2000$ again or should I wait for the third period? Because I used to earn only about 1000$ a month at my work. If I apply in the second period - it means I am getting 2000$ though I earned just 1000$ a month. But if I take 2000$ in the third period - it means I will extend his payment for two months just if I am receiving 1000$ a month.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!

I am an international student. By all criteria I am eligible for CERB and I have already received my first payment of 2000 for the first period.

My question is can I apply in the second period for 2000$ again or should I wait for the third period? Because I used to earn only about 1000$ a month at my work. If I apply in the second period - it means I am getting 2000$ though I earned just 1000$ a month. But if I take 2000$ in the third period - it means I will extend his payment for two months just if I am receiving 1000$ a month.

Thank you!
Just want to acknowledge you for having the morals to debate whether you should apply for CERB for this period. Most wouldn’t even consider not applying. This is the one big flaw in the CERB program, you are entitled to more than you made while working.

Reactions: IntStudent29

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

Thank you!
You can apply even if CERB is more than you were earning.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application/questions.html

If I would have been entitled to less than the $500 per week under EI, will I get the $500?

Yes. You will receive $500 per week, regardless of what you may have been eligible to receive through Employment Insurance.

Reactions: IntStudent29

nitin2katoch

Jul 24, 2016
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-04-2017
AOR Received.
08-03/2017
Med's Done....
19-08-2017
Hello folks, I am a Canadian resident since one and a half years. I decided to visit my family in January and prepare for my exam. I left my job and would have joined again once I came back . I booked my return in March. In between the lockdown started and I was stuck as international travel was halted.

I read on many places that whether I was eligible for CERB. And some mentioned that Canadians stranded oversees could apply, although there were mixed opinions. Considering my expenses like life insurances, mobile bills, mutual funds payments etc, I applied for CERB. I got my payment 3 days ago. But what is bothering me now is did I make the correct decision. There have been talks that people who posted fraudulent claims could end up paying back 3 times the amount. And still stuck overseas, this is making me paranoid. Could someone suggest the appropriate steps that I should take please.

Regards
Nitin Katoch