CELPIP Re-evaluation

js_1979

Aug 21, 2018
Just wanted to share my re-evaluation status:
Received re-evaluation score for speaking after exactly 2 weeks:
Before:R9L9W8S6
After:R9L9W8S7
I am on the same boat. Got L8R11W7S6..
I was expecting 10 in W and 8 in speaking.

Celpip Descriptor for reading says:

You are able to construct sentences with simple syntax and some moderately complex syntax.
  • In most familiar contexts, you are able to express your intended meaning through commonly used vocabulary.
  • You are able to express feelings, likes, dislikes, preferences and some of your attitudes towards commonplace objects and circumstances.
  • You are familiar with common social conventions and you are sometimes able to adjust your register to suit the social circumstances.
  • You are able to provide simple advice and also use persuasion. You can support your point of view with simple reasons.
  • You are able to express opinions and support with some simple reasons.
  • You are able to provide short descriptions of familiar situations and contexts and relate some basic information about unfamiliar situations or experiences.
  • You are able to provide narratives about personal experiences in familiar situations.

Is this a template for 6 score?

Anyways, I have submitted for re-evaluation today. Hoping for the best.

Last edited:

richow85

Sep 5, 2018
Don't take it from me. Take it from Skye. CELPIP is a joke!. Don't waste you time and money. Take the IELTS. Even if it means waiting a year to get a date, it's totally worth the wait. IELTs measures your real abilities. CELPIP Measures NOTHING!.
A little background about myself. English is the official language of my country. I have scored upwards of 93rd Percentile on the GRE Verbal, which is 1000 times harder than IELTS or CELPIP (that was even before I started PhD and did a lot more writing). English has never been a problem all my life. In fact, I would argue that my English is better than my math for an Engineering PhD Student. I only took CELPIP because I couldn't find a date soon enough. My first IELTS Test : L7.5 R8.5 S8.5,W7.5 (had some hearing trouble on the listening). I needed an 8 on the listening to get CLB 9. My CELPIP score was L11R12W8S9. How does some one who can read and understand almost perfectly as demonstrated by a score of 11 and 12 on listening and reading only have a writing ability of 8?. Doesn't make any sense. I have seen IELTS score of a few of my friends with similar abilities and you can tell that there is a consistency in all 4 abilities. I wish I had read these forums before signing up for the CELPIP. I have posted a link to performance statistics for the two test for your edification. Just take a look yourself and you will understand what I am getting at. See how the averages for each ability is ridiculously close to each other in the general training test for the IELTs? Yet look at the CELPIP statistics and it tells you the whole story. The numbers are all over the place. Also look at the standard deviations and see how far most people are from a CLB 9 on the CELPIP. How often do you come across someone who reads at level 12 and writes at level 8 (4 whole points down the spectrum)? If Paragon is going to determine one's facility or aptitude with the English language based on a single number, shouldn't it be an average of the scores for each ability? Unless your goal of course is to rip off poor potential immigrants who don't have a choice but to take such exams. I almost feel one does not have any chance at all of scoring a band 9 if one is a non-native speaker or maybe writes for the Wall Street Journal.
Like I said, I wish I had all these statistics before I took the CELPIP test. You are privy to it now. Don't make the mistake I made. TAKE THE IELTS!!!

By the way, I requested a re-evaluation of my Writing. I quite frankly don't think it will change based on the foregoing discussion but will keep you posted all the same.

https://www.ielts.org/en-us/teaching-and-research/test-taker-performance
https://www.paragontesting.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Paragon-Research-Reports-CELPIP-Test-2017-Report-1.pdf

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
I also want to share my bad experience with CELPIP, after a first attempt with scores R12L11S10W8 I had decided to retake the CELPIP exam for a second time trying to improve my writing. Well results got in today and whey were R12L12S7W8. So that means my listening improved by 1 and my speaking dropped by 3. And well oh yeah, my writing stayed the same. I would really really like to know how my speaking abilities went down by three (3) points within a month. I would really like to ask this question to some of these great Paragon score evaluators. This test makes no sense, please don't waste your money. I'm going to do IELTS.

fmomen01

Sep 5, 2018
I would encourage anyone to apply for a re-evaluation of they don't feel comfortable with their scores. I'm a native English speaker
Celpip Scores before evaluation
L - 11
S- 8
W- 11
R - 12
After reevaluation
L - 11
S- 11
W- 11
R- 12
Plus I received a refund of the $55 evaluation fee
Hey Tracelyn,

I'm a native speaker too and just got done with the test today. Honestly, I was extremely sleep deprived and had to run to the testing center because my cab got stuck in traffic. Signing in was also a nightmare. The rest of the exam seemed to go fine but at the end I was so depleted, my brain felt fried and I word vomited. I couldn't read the instructions clearly since my eyes had become so dry...anyhow, my question is did you just apply for the reevaluation or did you send them an email/letter as well? Also, gurrrrrl, how did you get a whole refund?!?

Anyone else face a similar situation?

fmomen01

Sep 5, 2018
Don't take it from me. Take it from Skye. CELPIP is a joke!. Don't waste you time and money. Take the IELTS. Even if it means waiting a year to get a date, it's totally worth the wait. IELTs measures your real abilities. CELPIP Measures NOTHING!.
A little background about myself. English is the official language of my country. I have scored upwards of 93rd Percentile on the GRE Verbal, which is 1000 times harder than IELTS or CELPIP (that was even before I started PhD and did a lot more writing). English has never been a problem all my life. In fact, I would argue that my English is better than my math for an Engineering PhD Student. I only took CELPIP because I couldn't find a date soon enough. My first IELTS Test : L7.5 R8.5 S8.5,W7.5 (had some hearing trouble on the listening). I needed an 8 on the listening to get CLB 9. My CELPIP score was L11R12W8S9. How does some one who can read and understand almost perfectly as demonstrated by a score of 11 and 12 on listening and reading only have a writing ability of 8?. Doesn't make any sense. I have seen IELTS score of a few of my friends with similar abilities and you can tell that there is a consistency in all 4 abilities. I wish I had read these forums before signing up for the CELPIP. I have posted a link to performance statistics for the two test for your edification. Just take a look yourself and you will understand what I am getting at. See how the averages for each ability is ridiculously close to each other in the general training test for the IELTs? Yet look at the CELPIP statistics and it tells you the whole story. The numbers are all over the place. Also look at the standard deviations and see how far most people are from a CLB 9 on the CELPIP. How often do you come across someone who reads at level 12 and writes at level 8 (4 whole points down the spectrum)? If Paragon is going to determine one's facility or aptitude with the English language based on a single number, shouldn't it be an average of the scores for each ability? Unless your goal of course is to rip off poor potential immigrants who don't have a choice but to take such exams. I almost feel one does not have any chance at all of scoring a band 9 if one is a non-native speaker or maybe writes for the Wall Street Journal.
Like I said, I wish I had all these statistics before I took the CELPIP test. You are privy to it now. Don't make the mistake I made. TAKE THE IELTS!!!

By the way, I requested a re-evaluation of my Writing. I quite frankly don't think it will change based on the foregoing discussion but will keep you posted all the same.

https://www.ielts.org/en-us/teaching-and-research/test-taker-performance
https://www.paragontesting.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Paragon-Research-Reports-CELPIP-Test-2017-Report-1.pdf[/QUOT
Hi all,

I took Celpip Nov 4th, I got the following results
L 9
R 12
W 7
S 7

I applied for re-evaluation for W and S and the changed for:
W 8
S 9

I got my refund for the re-evaluation since my scores changed.

The 8 in W is still not enough for me so I took the test again last saturday (Dec 9th), waiting for the results, I hope I can get a minimum of 9 in all of them.
What was your new score, if you don't mind me asking?

richow85

Sep 5, 2018
My RE-EVALUATION came back. My writing got bumped to a 9. New score 11,12,9,9. I have no beef with Paragon. I think they made a mistake and were not afraid to correct it. Thanks to you all folks and good luck!

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
Also my re evaluation came back... They bumped my speaking from 7 to 9 and writing from 8 to 9!
I do still believe this is a ridiculous test as it doesn't make too much sense that the scores have been changed by so much (3 points in total!), but at least, done with it!

carlamco

Aug 7, 2017
I had a one point increase in my re-evaluation because i felt like i did better than the level i received. Its worth the shot..$55 vs $300 retaking? ur pick. Its probably a 3 week wait for re-evaluation..thats how long it took mine. You do have great results overall so they may increase it considering other bands..ive heard they do that. Best of luck and keep us posted. If your CRS score is above current trend then why bother re-taking?
I hope you are right because I got L(10), R(9), however for W and S I got (7) on both and I am sure that my writing was pretty great and my speaking worth at least 8/9. That's insane! I requested the Re-evaluation today, let's wait and keep the faith!

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
It's so strange how they evaluate Speaking, something is seriously wrong with it.

I think it could be because of the pauses. When I watched some videos about it, they were speaking like a robot without pauses except between sentences. Plus, no noises such as uhh, umm etc. What do you guys think?

fmomen01

Sep 5, 2018
Update: L12; R12; W11; S12

I think I got a high speaking score because I sound American, by and large. So, no reevaluation needed this time I guess.

For me, I got like zero sleep the night before and felt upchuck sick, and the test center was extremely underprepared and felt too inexperienced to hold the test. I am shocked that I performed as well as I did but I consider myself quite lucky as I performed pretty poorly on the two free sample tests.

During the speaking section, I was a mess. I definitely screwed up the purpose and content on two of the exercises. I used tons of "uhhs" and "umms" and "errs" but I am a super fast speaker and English is not only my first language but because I grew up stateside when I was a kid, I have a very "American" North East accent--more so than my brother, and he was actually born in the US!

I am surprised at the 11 in the writing section because I have actually tutored for both the GRE and GMAT verbal sections, had plenty of time to review and was confident in my performance solely in this section.

I would also highly recommend those who don's sound "North American" to take the IELTS because I do feel like there is a bias towards those who sound North American. There was a girl sitting beside me who performed really well during the speaking but did so in a monotone, robotic voice with zero expression and had a slight Indian accent. I hope she got the same score I did...but tbh, I can see why she might not have because expression is very normal while speaking and inflection is something that is very culture specific as well. Not growing up in the culture makes it a bit harder I reckon to mimic those things.