+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - Work Experience Calculation

ygyogendra

Mar 14, 2021
H Team,
Currently I am working in Canada on work permit and I have arround 20 months of experience. I am working 40 hours/weekly. So my total worked hours are 3120 hours. Can CIC would be consider it as 2 years of experience. As it would be equal to 2 years working hours (1560X2).
1560 Working hours required for 1 year expereince.

Please provide me more information on it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
H Team,
Currently I am working in Canada on work permit and I have arround 20 months of experience. I am working 40 hours/weekly. So my total worked hours are 3120 hours. Can CIC would be consider it as 2 years of experience. As it would be equal to 2 years working hours (1560X2).

No - it won't count as 2 years.

You need to work 24 full months where you have at least 30 hours of work experience in each week to count it as 2 years of work experience.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
H Team,

No, you can only count the first 30 hours you worked each week.

Based on the information you provided, 3120 @ 40 hours per week would correspond to having worked 78 weeks. 78 weeks is merely 1.5 years.

For IRCC purposed you have only accrued 78 weeks*30h/week= 2340 hours. Your are short 780 hours. To complete 780 hours you will need to work full-time for at least another 0.5 years (or 26 weeks, roughly 6 months).

Once you complete this additional 26 weeks of FT work, you will have completed the equivalent to 2 years of FT experience (78 weeks you have now + 26 weeks you need to work= 104 weeks).

Remember that each year is equivalent to 52 weeks (that is why 1560 hours gives you one year of FT experience, 52 weeks in 1 year * 30 hours or more/week --> 52*30=1560 hours)

Hope this helped you understand.

ygyogendra

Mar 14, 2021
No, you can only count the first 30 hours you worked each week.

Based on the information you provided, 3120 @ 40 hours per week would correspond to having worked 78 weeks. 78 weeks is merely 1.5 years.

For IRCC purposed you have only accrued 78 weeks*30h/week= 2340 hours. Your are short 780 hours. To complete 780 hours you will need to work full-time for at least another 0.5 years (or 26 weeks, roughly 6 months).

Once you complete this additional 26 weeks of FT work, you will have completed the equivalent to 2 years of FT experience (78 weeks you have now + 26 weeks you need to work= 104 weeks).

Remember that each year is equivalent to 52 weeks (that is why 1560 hours gives you one year of FT experience, 52 weeks in 1 year * 30 hours or more/week --> 52*30=1560 hours)

Hope this helped you understand.
Thanks for yourside information Wolfpmd. But still I am trying to understand.. it mean, CIC would conisder only my 30hrs/week only. and remaining 10hrs/week, I can not accumulate for my work experience purpose. It would not give me any additional advantages for my work experirence ?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks for yourside information Wolfpmd. But still I am trying to understand.. it mean, CIC would conisder only my 30hrs/week only. and remaining 10hrs/week, I can not accumulate for my work experience purpose. It would not give me any additional advantages for my work experirence ?
Yes, you can count up-to 30 hours per week. Any additional hours worked each week are not counted towards your accrued experience.

saifssj6

Jul 9, 2019
Hello team,

I had some questions to clarify:
1.) My work permit expires in September, my 1 year is completed in end of June., should I apply for PR, then bridge work permit, or should I apply for extension and then for PR, after I get my extension?(I have 8mnths reduced on my work permit because of passport expiry date, so if I apply for extension, I can get the remainder of the months on my work permit)
2.) Can I apply for PR, and extension of my work permit at the same time, and bridge work permit, while my extension and/or application is in process?
3.) I worked at a Montreal company for 5 weeks(but had an Ontario address), then got fired,. I took a letter from HR, which includes my name, designation, the time I was there and my salary, is that enough?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
1) You can apply for PR and decide if you want to apply for BOWP or extend your current work permit. The benefit of extending your current wp is that its not tied to your PR application, its mutually exclusive. Whereas for BOWP, if you're PR application is rejected, your BOWP is in progress and your current WP has expired, you won't have a valid status in Canada.
2) Not sure if you can apply for both BOWP and work permit extension at the same time as they're both WP.
3) Did you claim points for it? If yes, it must be in IRCC's required format and must contain all required information. If not, then you don't need it.

Reactions: saifssj6

saifssj6

Jul 9, 2019
1.) That's awesome!! So I can apply for an extension and also apply for PR separately!!
2.) Thanks your previous answer clarifies that
3.) I am sorry I did not understand that question regarding points?
The reason I was thinking of including points is because while working at my present company, I had an accident and was off for 6 weeks, and the previous answers said that I do have to work an extra 6 weeks to make up for the lost time. So I thought including my previous work experience could help? any idea?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
1.) That's awesome!! So I can apply for an extension and also apply for PR separately!!
2.) Thanks your previous answer clarifies that
3.) I am sorry I did not understand that question regarding points?
The reason I was thinking of including points is because while working at my present company, I had an accident and was off for 6 weeks, and the previous answers said that I do have to work an extra 6 weeks to make up for the lost time. So I thought including my previous work experience could help? any idea?
I see, so you need those 6 weeks from previous company to complete your 1 year of Canadian work experience. So you want to claim points for it. Then you need reference letters that has ALL of IRCC’s requirements.

On a side note, can you just wait to accumulate 6 more weeks of experience in your current role to complete a full year? Assuming you’re still employed in Canada?

saifssj6

Jul 9, 2019
I see, so you need those 6 weeks from previous company to complete your 1 year of Canadian work experience. So you want to claim points for it. Then you need reference letters that has ALL of IRCC’s requirements.

On a side note, can you just wait to accumulate 6 more weeks of experience in your current role to complete a full year? Assuming you’re still employed in Canada?
Thanks for your quick response!!, wish I could get you a cup of coffee!! yes I am still employed, I just wanted to submit my application as early as possible.
By the way If I were to apply for the extension in may, (my work permit expires in September), the extension would applied from the day of my expiry date right? or from the day I receive my work permit?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thanks for your quick response!!, wish I could get you a cup of coffee!! yes I am still employed, I just wanted to submit my application as early as possible.
By the way If I were to apply for the extension in may, (my work permit expires in September), the extension would applied from the day of my expiry date right? or from the day I receive my work permit?
It would be more simple if you just submit one reference letter for 1 year of work, but that’s just me.

I don’t follow your question on wp extension. Are you asking about the expiration of your extended work permit, if you get approved? I have no idea, sorry.

saifssj6

Jul 9, 2019
uld be more simple if you just submit one reference letter for 1 year of work, but that’s just me.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, when will the date of the extend work permit start? right after my old WP expires or the date I receive it?
I think your advice is spot on, especially since its only 6 weeks, I will consider it

To make my application look stronger, do you think it would be wise to add my previous work experiences(retail, etc.) after I graduated? It took me a while to get this job and I want to make it look better

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Sorry, I should have been more clear, when will the date of the extend work permit start? right after my old WP expires or the date I receive it?
I think your advice is spot on, especially since its only 6 weeks, I will consider it

To make my application look stronger, do you think it would be wise to add my previous work experiences(retail, etc.) after I graduated? It took me a while to get this job and I want to make it look better
New WP starts when you get approved. So could be before or after September depending on how fast IRCC reviews it.

The strongest evidence you can provide is the work reference letters (+T4 and NOA) and that you selected the right NOC. If IRCC is happy with that, you don’t need anything else to support your work experience. If you declare previous work experience under the work history section, you’ll be asked to provide work reference letters for those. When you get your ITA, a personal history section would open up, declare any activities in the past 10 years including work experience you didn’t claim points in that section.

saifssj6

Jul 9, 2019
thank you soo much!!,
1.)Just remembered, If I apply for PR, and also the extension, If my existing pr expires, will I still be able to work without issues?* assuming my extension WP is still being processed.
2.) I had an accident and was off for 6 weeks last year, and then had to go for quarantine for another 2 weeks later that year. Should I ask HR to mention the reason for the gaps if they don't mention it? or can I just add a separate letter explaining the gaps?