+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBSA and ircc information sharing

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hello I want to know is our exit entry information is shared between IRCC and CBSA continually .

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AFAIK, entry/exit data is only shared if you grant IRCC the right to access CBSA data. Having said that, there are many reports from people that have ordered their travel history from CBSA directly and found that it is incomplete; mostly regarding exit records.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello I want to know is our exit entry information is shared between IRCC and CBSA continually .
I think it's fair to say, no, it's not shared 'continually.' IRCC can access / gain access to under certain circumstances, but under privacy regs, it is not automatically shared, and even then, only when 'needed.' There are procedures.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Does it matter? If IRCC wants to get your exist entry from CBSA and aske you to grant the right, can you NOT grant them?

You need to assume that they can find out and do not misrepresent/hide anything in your application.

Reactions: Ponga

frange

May 25, 2018
I think it's fair to say, no, it's not shared 'continually.' IRCC can access / gain access to under certain circumstances, but under privacy regs, it is not automatically shared, and even then, only when 'needed.' There are procedures.
In signing forms IMM 0008 , IMM 1344, both sponsor and PA , for processing purposes, give the permission to IRCC to share OR require information with/from any government or provincial agency.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In signing forms IMM 0008 , IMM 1344, both sponsor and PA , for processing purposes, give the permission to IRCC to share OR require information with/from any government or provincial agency.
My answer was limited to the narrow question "do they share this info continously." (From the way I interpreted that question)

I do agree, I think it's fair to say that if the government needs that information, from one deprartment to another, they can surely get it. Just not 'continuously.'

Reactions: frange

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Thanks every one for the response. My question was tied to the previous question I asked in another thread . While asking about the time limit for the sponsor of Outland application visit outside Canada , someone told me that as soon as cbsa officer scan my PR card my exit/entry info will be sent to ircc. So staying outside Canada beyond 3 weeks will put the sponsorship application at risk . I am planning to go outside Canada for 4 weeks while my wife’s sponsorship is in progress

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks every one for the response. My question was tied to the previous question I asked in another thread . While asking about the time limit for the sponsor of Outland application visit outside Canada , someone told me that as soon as cbsa officer scan my PR card my exit/entry info will be sent to ircc. So staying outside Canada beyond 3 weeks will put the sponsorship application at risk . I am planning to go outside Canada for 4 weeks while my wife’s sponsorship is in progress
CBSA officers do NOT scan a PR card when exiting Canada. You must use your foreign passport to enter another country. The CBSA officer may/may not actually scan your PR when you return.

Also, where did you see that CBSA voluntarily sends this information to IRCC?

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
CBSA officers do NOT scan a PR card when exiting Canada. You must use your foreign passport to enter another country. The CBSA officer may/may not actually scan your PR when you return.

Also, where did you see that CBSA voluntarily sends this information to IRCC?
Someone told me on Facebook group. He claims to work in a law firm

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Someone told me on Facebook group. He claims to work in a law firm
Ah...if it's on FB it has to be true.:rolleyes:
Did he say `where' he works in that law firm? Does it rhyme with `Hail Broom'? LOL!

It is true that IRCC can see information in CBSA's systems, but from what has been reported by members in other forums here...only if they have a need to know, so not automatic. Besides...the real reason for your question was just answered in your other thread. Enjoy your trip!

• Haha

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
someone told me that as soon as cbsa officer scan my PR card my exit/entry info will be sent to ircc. So staying outside Canada beyond 3 weeks will put the sponsorship application at risk . I am planning to go outside Canada for 4 weeks while my wife’s sponsorship is in progress
There is no specific timeline that is allowed ('short trips' are okay for PR sponsors).

It is not clear how or how strictly IRCC enforces this. In at least some cases, they may check if the PR sponsor seems to be outside Canada.

For the purposes of what you are concerned about, best to assume that yes, they do have access to the in-out records when they need. Again, my belief is that four weeks is probably fine.*

Note: exit records seem to be compiled/collected from airline manifests and through Ministry of Transport, possibly / presumably back to CBSA, but none of this preciseliy known (yet).

* Even for those outside more than four weeks, enforcement does not appear to be strict (some away longer don't have problems), but one of the issues is that it may be quite difficult for a PR sponsor to know that there is a problem - apart from having even worse inexplicable delays than normal processing. Some outright refusals do happen on this basis, but also sometimes just ... delays.