+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Catch 22

nkace

Oct 17, 2022
Boston, MA
So you can't get to Canada unless you have a job. You can't get a job unless you live there. How on earth are you supposed to make this actually happen then? So daunting & confusing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So you can't get to Canada unless you have a job. You can't get a job unless you live there. How on earth are you supposed to make this actually happen then? So daunting & confusing.
This statement is incorrect.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Then clue me in....
- It's absolutely possible to get a job offer from outside of Canada. You have to find an employer who is willing to go through the process of hiring a foreing worker which can be difficult depending on your occupation, but it's definitely doable and plenty on this forum have done it without being in Canada. Some people are also moved to Canada by their existing employer on a work permit (i.e. their employer has operations in Canada and moves them to a job in Canada).
- There are plenty of immigration programs that don't require a job offer or work permit (Express Entry, PNP).
- Included in the above are investor immigration programs that don't require a job offer / work permit to qualify (but require significant savings / funds and the willingness to invest these funds in a business in Canada).
- Another option is to come to Canada as a full time international student and study for a few years to qualify for an open work permit.
- I'm sure there's more but I can't be bothered to list it.

If coming to Canada is really a priority for you, you need to dedicate a lot more time to researching your options. If you don't have the time to research, then hire an immigration lawyer. Your statement about needing a job to Canada and not being able to get a job unless you're in Canada is simply incorrect.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Then clue me in....
I looked through your profile and there are couple of things you should know about. I apologize in advance if I will sound like a jerk:
  • Canada is in recession. Like it or hate it but that's the fact. That means that most of the people are being laid off. Operations Manager is not the field that is especially in demand in this country.
  • Canada is not the USA, when it comes to job market. It's extremely limited with way lower wages and higher cost of living.
  • You are used to certain lifestyle at the age of 50+. That means that for many positions you will be competing against new immigrants that are 30-40 years old. Have you ever lived in a room (not a house but room) that you shared with 2-3 people? I have. Not because I wanted to but because it was so expensive that it was the only option for me.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to move to Canada? If it's for retirement, why not Southern Europe or LATAM (if you speak Spanish)?

D

Deleted member 1083629

Then clue me in....
Your best bet is to find a job that can transfer you to Canada. Your second best option is to find an employer that is willing to bring you to Canada through work. Your third option is to do research and see if there is any agreements between the US and Canada like TN visa that can help you.

nkace

Oct 17, 2022
Boston, MA
- It's absolutely possible to get a job offer from outside of Canada. You have to find an employer who is willing to go through the process of hiring a foreing worker which can be difficult depending on your occupation, but it's definitely doable and plenty on this forum have done it without being in Canada. Some people are also moved to Canada by their existing employer on a work permit (i.e. their employer has operations in Canada and moves them to a job in Canada).
- There are plenty of immigration programs that don't require a job offer or work permit (Express Entry, PNP).
- Included in the above are investor immigration programs that don't require a job offer / work permit to qualify (but require significant savings / funds and the willingness to invest these funds in a business in Canada).
- Another option is to come to Canada as a full time international student and study for a few years to qualify for an open work permit.

If coming to Canada is really a priority for you, you need to dedicate a lot more time to researching your options. If you don't have the time to research, then hire an immigration lawyer. Your statement about needing a job to Canada and not being able to get a job unless you're in Canada is simply incorrect.
So you have to work for an international company or megacorp then that would actually allow/pay for that. I do not qualify for express entry. PNP?
Not sure I understand what you mean by invest funds in Canada business.
I have no interest in going back to school or paying for it either.
It's not incorrect, it's just extremely difficult to actually try to get a job or move there.

nkace

Oct 17, 2022
Boston, MA

So immigration lawyer makes the most sense to do then?

nkace

Oct 17, 2022
Boston, MA
I looked through your profile and there are couple of things you should know about. I apologize in advance if I will sound like a jerk:
  • Canada is in recession. Like it or hate it but that's the fact. That means that most of the people are being laid off. Operations Manager is not the field that is especially in demand in this country.
  • Canada is not the USA, when it comes to job market. It's extremely limited with way lower wages and higher cost of living.
  • You are used to certain lifestyle at the age of 50+. That means that for many positions you will be competing against new immigrants that are 30-40 years old. Have you ever lived in a room (not a house but room) that you shared with 2-3 people? I have. Not because I wanted to but because it was so expensive that it was the only option for me.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to move to Canada? If it's for retirement, why not Southern Europe or LATAM (if you speak Spanish)?
Well many countries are dealing w/ inflation/recession. I know it's not in demand hence the issue of not having any special skills like Canada wants. So people aren't paid enough yet the cost of living is really high?
I haven't had roommates since college & would never go back to that.
Europe is an ocean away. What is LATAM?