+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car on goods to follow list

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by Cf45, Dec 31, 2013.

  1. Hi
    My car will be on my goods to follow list. My question is when I first land do I need to show bill of sale or any documents about the car or is this done when I actually import the vechile?

    I am aware of all the steps export from US then import plus te clearance letters etc.
    do I need to produce those at initial landig ?
  2. Bring the title and pull the manufacture date from the inside door sill plate. Recall letter has to get to riv within 30 days of issuance to get form 2 however this is only needed when you are ready to import the car. You will get form 1 when you land. Be sure to contact riv to get an extension of form 1 if you are not importing the car in the next 45 days.

    I just did this exact thing myself today.
  3. Thanks for the response. So the first time I land do I bring anything to do with the car?
    Or do they just give me form 1?
  4. Bring the title and also get the manufacture date from the inside door sill. That is all you will need to get your Form 1, well along with your COPR for landing LOL
  5. Sorry so I should do this and bring the title even though I'm not bringi the car with me yet? What exactly is form 1? Can I bring these papers when I actually import the car or are you suggesting that I have to brighten first when I initially land. Sorry I'm so confused with this landing process
  6. You will need the title in order for the landing officials to generate form 1 for you. They need the information that is on the cars title, even if you are not actually bringing it with you. Fill our a B4 form e which you can d/l from here http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf Fill in any necessary information for items you will be bringing in later as well as your vehicle(s) and such, and bring it ALL with you when you land. Make a duplicate copy of your B4 as CBSA will keep one and give you back one.

    They will go over the B4 with you to ensure you have everything on there you want and then will fill out Form 1 which you will need in order to get Form 2 from RIV when you are ready to acutally import your car.

    When you get home, put your title with your stamped copy of your B4 and Form 1 together. Call RIV, CBSA will provide you with a number and steps to take, and ask them to please extend the validity of your Form 1 to whenever it is you plan to import your car. They will ask you to scan a copy of Form 1 and email it to support@support.riv.ca. When you are roughly 2 months from importing your car, contact your car manufacturer and ask them to generate you a recall clearance letter. They will either email this to you or mail it to you. Either way it should work. About 3 days before you import your car you will then contact RIV again, inform them that you are ready to import the car, give them a copy of your recall clearance letter pay the fee and if needed, send another copy of the Form 1 to them. They will then, about 24 hours later, generate and email you a copy of Form 2, which you will print off, call Canadian Tire and set up an appointment for your federal inspection. Once that is done, if your province requires an inspection you will also get that done, then get plates/insurance and so on and so forth within 45 days of getting Form 2.

    Also, please remember to give the US side at least 72 hours heads up that you intend to export your car as you will need to go to the CBP and have your cars title stamped for export.

    Hope that helped clear it up for you.
    sam.m likes this.
  7. I had a car on follow to list but then I replaced it with newer one in U.S. Can I still bring the new one into Canada in place of what is on the A4. Would they ask for tax on the difference in value or tax it completely being not on the A4. Thanks.
  8. As far as I know, if you do not bring the listed vehicle on the B4 you are then responsible for any taxes/duties on the vehicle as a regular import as it no longer qualifies under your new resident items. You would have to double check this information with CBSA, but I'm 99.9% positive this is going to be the case for you.
  9. Alurra71, when you state "Pull" the manufacture date from the door sill, you're referring to just write it down I assume?
    In our case, my sponsored wife will land via air in Vancouver, then return to the US to tidy things up.
    She will be trailering a 1978 Jeep CJ behind a UHaul, and I will drive her 2005 Toyota 4Runner.
    So, on the B4, she will write the household items, list anything with serial numbers, and declare the serial, make models of the vehicles on the B4. Does she need to show any title then, or just when she brings it up later?
    Also, since the Jeep is more then 15 years old, it doesn't fall under RIV, so is it basic then I assume?
    What do we need to do on the US side for all this first to export it?
    I understand also, the border wants 72 hours notice, fax, of what vehicles are coming, so what do they need faxed to them?
    Thanks, and sorry for being long winded.
  10. Hi

    1. You have to fax the "pink slip" (proof of owner ship) to the border office 72 hours prior to export : http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml. Note the Border office for vehicle exports is not at the Border and usually only works monday to friday 8-4. The list of contacts is here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/wa/3004.xml

    Name: Vehicle Export Office**
    Phone: 360-332-2632
    Operational Hours: 8:00 AM-3:30 PM(Pacific)
    Weekdays (Monday-Friday)
  11. I recently imported my car successfully from the US so here are the steps I followed -

    - email title, registration and insurance to US export office 72 hours prior to your arrival at the border. They reply back in email with confirmation and exact date you can bring your car at the border.
    - call vehicle manufacturer and get recall clearance letter
    - at the border, US agent will just scan your passport and let you go to Canadian border office
    - at Canadian office, agent will look at your B4 to make sure that it is on list and stamp it. You will also get form 1 (or some form that you need later).
    - in Canada, scan the form you received at border and send it to RIV support email along with recall clearance letter. They will give you another form in email. (form 2). You also need to pay about $200 at this time.
    - Take that form along with title and go to RIV authorized inspection office. They will do inspection and complete form 2 and fax it to RIV. You need to pay inspection fees here. (about $150)
    - RIV will send you a sticker of compliance in the mail.
    - Go to vehicle registration authority and register your vehicle and also apply for driver license.

    That's it. Hope this helps.
    sam.m likes this.
  12. Here is what we need, as far as coming into British Columbia goes:
    I just talked to CBP at the border we will cross at. They want minimum 72 hours notice, and a faxed photocopy of the title, that's it.
    They also told me, because they are a 24/7 border operation, we can show up anytime after that.
    I would of course confirm the fax being received, give them a few minutes and go from there, easy.
  13. I will not have the title of the car while landing. Can I still list it in the goods to follow?

  14. I have the exact same situation. I would like to know if you were able to get the new car into Canada?
    Kindly update.
    thank you very much

Share This Page