+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car export issue

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hello all,

We have a unique situation hoping someone could help with. My spouse needs to start her job in Canada on November 23. Her last date in US job is November 6. We are thinking of reaching Canada by road on Nov 8th so that she can start her new job on Nov 23. We are not sure how to export the car as we would be traveling over the weekend. We cannot reach there on Friday (Nov 6) due to work commitment in US and cannot reach Canada on Monday as we won't be on the fence for Nov 23 start date with 14 day quarantine. CBP port we are crossing is open only between 8AM to 4PM on week days.

I am currently on H1b and would be commuting once a month for now after completing the quarantine. I have some questions on how this could be worked out:

- can we just get in to Canada without completing import/export formalities and do it later while come to US for my work? Can we say CBSA that only my spouse is moving at that time and I would move in permanently after some time during which I would export the car? will there be any issues with that?

- is it okay to take the car without exporting after notifying CBP with the ITN number and then export it later after finishing the quarantine process? CBP wants 72 hour notice for doing export.. so I either need to give notice while in US, go to Canada and then come back or I need to give the notice while being in Canada. I am not sure if I can give them the notice to export while being outside US.

thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello all,

We have a unique situation hoping someone could help with. My spouse needs to start her job in Canada on November 23. Her last date in US job is November 6. We are thinking of reaching Canada by road on Nov 8th so that she can start her new job on Nov 23. We are not sure how to export the car as we would be traveling over the weekend. We cannot reach there on Friday (Nov 6) due to work commitment in US and cannot reach Canada on Monday as we won't be on the fence for Nov 23 start date with 14 day quarantine. CBP port we are crossing is open only between 8AM to 4PM on week days.

I am currently on H1b and would be commuting once a month for now after completing the quarantine. I have some questions on how this could be worked out:

- can we just get in to Canada without completing import/export formalities and do it later while come to US for my work? Can we say CBSA that only my spouse is moving at that time and I would move in permanently after some time during which I would export the car? will there be any issues with that?

- is it okay to take the car without exporting after notifying CBP with the ITN number and then export it later after finishing the quarantine process? CBP wants 72 hour notice for doing export.. so I either need to give notice while in US, go to Canada and then come back or I need to give the notice while being in Canada. I am not sure if I can give them the notice to export while being outside US.

thanks.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/importing-vehicle/temporarily-importing-vehicles

Threads to refer:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/car-temporary-import-permanent-import-after-landing-as-pr.535359/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/bringing-vehicle-into-canada-from-us-temporarily-as-a-permanent-resident.536292/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/import-car-from-usa-to-canada-on-a-3-year-work-permit.181194/