+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing vehicle into Canada from US temporarily as a Permanent Resident

jimidrix5

Jul 23, 2011
Hello,

I received Canadian permanent resident status last year but for the time being am still living in the US until I have things arranged in Canada. I have a question about bringing in my US car temporarily into Canada as a Canadian permanent resident. This car has been listed on my "Goods to Follow" document. However, I would like to bring it into Canada temporarily for a short stay before coming back again and formally importing it. Is this possible, or is the first time that I cross the Canadian border with the US car as a Canadian permanent resident force me to import it at that time?

Thanks very much.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
CBSA agents won't let you drive US plated car without importing if you have PR status in Canada. They allow it only to visitors from US. Workaround for this would be:

At CBSA check-post let agent know that you are returning to USA after finishing landing formalities at CBSA custom office. You are not going past CBSA custom office.

Repeat same inside CBSA office.

After finishing landing formalities, you will get a code to exit CBSA area. After exiting, CBSA agents won't check if you are going straight inside Canada or turning back to USA.

jimidrix5

Jul 23, 2011
CBSA agents won't let you drive US plated car without importing if you have PR status in Canada. They allow it only to visitors from US. Workaround for this would be:

At CBSA check-post let agent know that you are returning to USA after finishing landing formalities at CBSA custom office. You are not going past CBSA custom office.

Repeat same inside CBSA office.

After finishing landing formalities, you will get a code to exit CBSA area. After exiting, CBSA agents won't check if you are going straight inside Canada or turning back to USA.
Thank you,

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can just bring it in temporarily, say a week, and then come back at a later date to do the landing procedures, or must I do it the very first time I cross the border with the car?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hello,

I received Canadian permanent resident status last year but for the time being am still living in the US until I have things arranged in Canada. I have a question about bringing in my US car temporarily into Canada as a Canadian permanent resident. This car has been listed on my "Goods to Follow" document. However, I would like to bring it into Canada temporarily for a short stay before coming back again and formally importing it. Is this possible, or is the first time that I cross the Canadian border with the US car as a Canadian permanent resident force me to import it at that time?

Thanks very much.
That would be difficult.
I listed my car on goods to follow list because I wasn't sure what I'd do with it as it was still financed. I drove it one time to Canada and was asked about my car. I explained that I was returning back to US and wasn't going to be bringing the car after all. The officer was kind enough to let me drive it in but warned me if Police were to find me the car would be impounded because I am a PR. So every time I have to cross over I borrow or rent a car. They've always asked me about the car I'm driving.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
That would be difficult.
I listed my car on goods to follow list because I wasn't sure what I'd do with it as it was still financed. I drove it one time to Canada and was asked about my car. I explained that I was returning back to US and wasn't going to be bringing the car after all. The officer was kind enough to let me drive it in but warned me if Police were to find me the car would be impounded because I am a PR. So every time I have to cross over I borrow or rent a car. They've always asked me about the car I'm driving.
RCMP won't know if you are a visitor or PR. If you get pulled over then you would be asked for License, Registration and Insurance only.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thank you,

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can just bring it in temporarily, say a week, and then come back at a later date to do the landing procedures, or must I do it the very first time I cross the border with the car?
Temporary import is for people moving to Canada temporarily on Student and Temp worker visa. See if #10 in this link allows you to import car temporarily in Canada:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html#_a6

Reactions: jimidrix5

jimidrix5

Jul 23, 2011
Temporary import is for people moving to Canada temporarily on Student and Temp worker visa. See if #10 in this link allows you to import car temporarily in Canada:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html#_a6
Thanks, it looks like #10 describes my situation: a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. So I guess CBSA will consider me as a "non-resident permanent resident" at that time instead of an official settler, thus allowing the temporary use of my vehicle in Canada without importing it?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks, it looks like #10 describes my situation: a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. So I guess CBSA will consider me as a "non-resident permanent resident" at that time instead of an official settler, thus allowing the temporary use of my vehicle in Canada without importing it?
It will be upto agent's discretion, depending on how he/she interprets #10. Perhaps you can email at CBSA-ASFC.CONTACT@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca and ask them this question. Keep print out of email response from CBSA as proof.

sathishc87

May 13, 2018
@jimidrix5 I'm looking for a same information. So were you able to drive your car temporarily into Canada and enter US again?

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Hi Guys,
I'm a bit sad about folks who've been through this process and didn't really share their experiences. Anyways I have some information that I hope will help who are still looking for answers. I have yet to land but plan on doing so sometime this year. I ended up writing an email to the CBSA and received the following response. Looks like we don't need to complete 'import process' at the time of landing provided you must mention to the agent that you don't plan to stay inside Canada indefinitely.

"A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months. Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes."

Last edited:

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Hello,

Anyone had a recent experience of driving personal car inside Canada.
My situation: I already landed by car a month back, stayed in Canada for 3 weeks and drove back to USA in my personal car.At that time the CBP officer said they are allowing me now but next time I will have to import my car.

now, I want to travel to Canada again. This time as well I will be staying for only 3 weeks are return back to USA. Can I take my car?
I will tell them that I’m only visiting.I have stamped COPR.

Any experiences?

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Should not be a problem as long as you tell them you’re visiting. I did the same, they didn’t ask me to import.

stscorcher

Jun 9, 2022
if the car is in my spouse's name, and i will be importing it into Canada from US:

My Question: Can i import the car without my spouse being physically present during the part where i drive the car from USA to Canada? And if so what all documents will i be needing as authorization on this person's behalf?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated !!