+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

winklet

Nov 25, 2021
Advice Needed!
What would you suggest for someone just now ready to send off a child's passport application?
It seems like mailing to Gatineau office is the fastest option? Or should I drop at a Service Canada Processing Centre?
We don't have travel tickets yet, hoping to travel Dec 20 if we can get this passport sorted in time.

I'm in Vancouver but only way to get a walk in spot for Passport office is to show up at 6-7am which I can't do with my kids in tow (just got call back today and soonest appointment is Jan 6). I'm debating whether to courier to Gatineau or drop at Service Canada office on Broadway. Any idea which would be faster?

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
I was filling in my passport form and I had to put my past address and the present one. My current address will be from 2020-11 to 2020-11, and I need to print it out today because I have to mail this to my gaurantor to sign, who lives in BC and is leaving the country soon. So by the time I submit this application it will be december, and will be want the present address changed to 2020-11 to 2021-12? I don't think I can leave it blank for now and then fill it with a pen later. Can I?

sumg

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Aug-2014
Nomination.....
08-Dec-2014
Med's Request
17-Mar-2015
Med's Done....
23-Mar-2015; Meds Received: 31-Mar-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Thank you, may I know why not Mississauga (377 Burnhamthorpe Rd E) or Hamilton? Both are passport offices but not Service Canada offices. And Oakville is not a Passport office, it's a service canada office, I need express pick up service, therefore, it's not available there, so, need to be submitted 'Passport Offices' only. What about Whitby? May I know where did you submit in-person? Please share the experience? Thank you
For express pickup you need to submit appl in Mississauga or Hamilton. You need an appointment for these offices. Not sure if Whitby js a passport service center.

I submitted my application in Oakville as walk in,
Since I did not need express service.

Reactions: M_Bd

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
well everybody, today was the day! I finally got my passport! so here's my timeline for anyone applying by mail from the US...

10/23/2021: Mailed off app to my guarantor in Canada.
10/28/2021: Guarantor mailed off my app to Passport Canada via Canada Post Xpresspost.
10/29/2021: App was delivered to Passport Canada Gatineau office.
11/03/2021: CC was charged.
11/11/2021: Submitted an online status request. [this was never answered]
11/12/2021: Phoned Passport Canada. Agent said it was too early to obtain the status. Agent said it could take 3 months to get a passport.
11/17/2021: Phoned Passport Canada. Obtained my file number and they said they needed my physical work address and this was delaying the processing of my application. I gave them the information and they said this would start the clock for my application; i.e. 20 business days or new due date of 12/15/2021.
11/19/2021: Phoned Passport Canada to check my status again to ensure that everything was on track for completion. They said that no new information would be needed and the agent processing the app would call if there were any other questions or concerns.
11/24/2021: Phoned Passport Canada to check my status. My passport was approved and sent for printing. They said I could call in a week to check on the tracking numbers.
11/25/2021: My passport and proof of citizenship were sent to me via Canada Post / FedEx to my US address.
11/26/2021: Phoned Passport Canada for my tracking numbers and received them.
11/29/2021: Received my passport and proof of citizenship.

total time: 20 business days after they received my app in their mail room.
total phone calls: 5 calls to Passport Canada

lessons learned:

1. Be sure to phone as soon as it has been 10 business days since your app was delivered to their mail room for a status report. You will learn about any missing information that you can correct. And if it is info you have to fax it will take around 5 business days for it to show up in the system... so good to be ahead on this and early; as I've seen with a family member who applied at the same time and is still dealing with this issue.
2. Phone 5 business days after each time you have corrected something to ensure that there is nothing else and that the item you corrected has been resolved.
3. Despite their promises of phoning you to ask about missing info or clarification they don't seem to do that and your app will be delayed unnecessarily; as has been my experience.
4. Phoning at the moment they open is fantastic because you get right through to someone immediately; i.e. at 7:30am Eastern time.
5. My app probably would have been finished and my passport have been delivered to me by 14 days if I had not had that initial physical work address issue that I did not know about for 9 business days after they charged my CC and never called about.
6. Agents will give you some pretty bad information about timeframes. As you can see, if I had listened to them and waited a week I never would have gotten tracking numbers and with my proof of citizenship in the packet I wanted to know where it was at all times; paranoid I guess. *smile* Also if I had listened to them initially, the first agent told me it could take 3 months for a passport. They all said an agent would phone if they had questions or issues and they never did, even when they saw there was an issue when they charged my CC. So, follow your instincts and phone them more than you think you should to find out what you need to know sooner rather than later.

I hope all this helps you all have smooth experiences! Overall it went pretty smooth, just that one hiccup for me and a lot more phoning to stay on top of it than I had planned, but it all worked out and I finally have my infallible proof of citizenship and am so grateful! Oh and as far as I am aware, none of my references nor my guarantor were contacted.

Last edited:

rhi

Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Aug-15
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
Nomination.....
06-July-15
AOR Received.
09-Nov-15
IELTS Request
Submitted with Package
File Transfer...
30-Nov-15
Med's Request
02-Feb-16
Med's Done....
5-Feb-16, ECAS updated 25-feb- 16
Passport Req..
DM on 3 mar 16 & PPR on 7 th march 16
VISA ISSUED...
15th Mar 16
LANDED..........
Very Soon
well everybody, today was the day! I finally got my passport! so here's my timeline for anyone applying by mail from the US...

10/28/2021: Guarantor mailed off my app to Passport Canada via Canada Post Xpresspost.
11/12/2021: Phoned Passport Canada. Agent said it was too early to obtain the status. Agent said it could take 3 months to get a passport.
11/17/2021: Phoned Passport Canada. Obtained my file number and they said they needed my physical work address and this was delaying the processing of my application. I gave them the information and they said this would start the clock for my application; i.e. 20 business days or new due date of 12/15/2021.
11/19/2021: Phoned Passport Canada to check my status again to ensure that everything was on track for completion. They said that no new information would be needed and the agent processing the app would call if there were any other questions or concerns.
11/24/2021: Phoned Passport Canada to check my status. My passport was approved and sent for printing. They said I could call in a week to check on the tracking numbers.
11/25/2021: My passport and proof of citizenship were sent to me via Canada Post / FedEx to my US address.

lessons learned:

1. Be sure to phone as soon as it has been 10 business days since your app was delivered to their mail room for a status report. You will learn about any missing information that you can correct. And if it is info you have to fax it will take around 5 business days for it to show up in the system... so good to be ahead on this and early; as I've seen with a family member who applied at the same time and is still dealing with this issue.
2. Phone 5 business days after each time you have corrected something to ensure that there is nothing else and that the item you corrected has been resolved.
3. Despite their promises of phoning you to ask about missing info or clarification they don't seem to do that and your app will be delayed unnecessarily; as has been my experience.
4. Phoning at the moment they open is fantastic because you get right through to someone immediately; i.e. at 7:30am Eastern time.
5. My app probably would have been finished and my passport have been delivered to me by 14 days if I had not had that initial physical work address issue that I did not know about for 9 business days after they charged my CC and never called about.
6. Agents will give you some pretty bad information about timeframes. As you can see, if I had listened to them and waited a week I never would have gotten tracking numbers and with my proof of citizenship in the packet I wanted to know where it was at all times; paranoid I guess. *smile* Also if I had listened to them initially, the first agent told me it could take 3 months for a passport. They all said an agent would phone if they had questions or issues and they never did, even when they saw there was an issue when they charged my CC. So, follow your instincts and phone them more than you think you should to find out what you need to know sooner rather than later.

I hope all this helps you all have smooth experiences! Overall it went pretty smooth, just that one hiccup for me and a lot more phoning to stay on top of it than I had planned, but it all worked out and I finally have my infallible proof of citizenship and am so grateful! Oh and as far as I am aware, none of my references nor my guarantor were contacted.
Congratulations and thanks for the full detail… would u share their contact no. For call plz

Reactions: princecharles77

M_Bd

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2014
Doc's Request.
21-04-2016
Nomination.....
09-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
21-04-2016
Med's Done....
24-04-2016
Interview........
Waived, Alhumdulillah
Passport Req..
03-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
16-09-2016
For express pickup you need to submit appl in Mississauga or Hamilton. You need an appointment for these offices. Not sure if Whitby js a passport service center.

I submitted my application in Oakville as walk in,
Since I did not need express service.
Thanks

M_Bd

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2014
Doc's Request.
21-04-2016
Nomination.....
09-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
21-04-2016
Med's Done....
24-04-2016
Interview........
Waived, Alhumdulillah
Passport Req..
03-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
16-09-2016
Are you travelling soon and already have a flight ticket?
Yes, I do have ticket, not in 2 days but end of December

Ellasky

Star Member
Jul 28, 2019

lessons learned:

Congratulations!!!

Reactions: princecharles77

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Yes, I do have ticket, not in 2 days but end of December
In that case you can go on passport canada website and request for an in person appointment also mention you have flight ticket. They will call you within 2 business days to book an appointment and you get to select whichever location is closest or convenient for you. This way you dont waste your time going to an office to see if they accept to let you in or not as many of them act differently and might suddenly change their process.

Reactions: M_Bd

viperD

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
01-11-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
03/11/2013
LANDED..........
Soon
Today is exactly one month since they received my application. Called them yesterday and they said it is still under process!!! CC charged on 20 Nov. Is it normal?

Reactions: Khans96