+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Anyox

Oct 15, 2020
My application was received Oct 21st and it remains In Process regardless of how many times I call to check on the status. My next anticipated travel is Dec 18th and now I'm getting nervous that it won't be here on time. I could apply for expedited processing, but it seems lame to me that I have to pay an extra $45 per passport (my kids as well) to make something move faster when I mailed it in well ahead of time. Wishing there could be some update, but all I can do is call and be told to be patient. Sigh.

strikeharsh

Apr 6, 2018
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Update:

I filled out on the service on 11-20 and got a call on 11-24 for urgent in person appointment at Scarborough passport office. Got a date 12-07 which is today. Went there, total wait time before seeing a passport officer is 2 hours and it’s done.

applied for express pick up and available to pick up 12-13 about a week later.

many people walked in have been turned away because the workload is over capacity and suggested to come by end of the month.

i would recommend anyone to book time ahead and if you have super urgent reason to rush the passport. I also see they take walk-in for urgent reason but you still have to line up which is a pain

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
Hi guys,
I’m filling in the passport application form and am not clear if PR should be included under Section 3 - Previous Canadian Travel Document ?? Should I answer yes or no?
Thanks

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Hi guys,
I’m filling in the passport application form and am not clear if PR should be included under Section 3 - Previous Canadian Travel Document ?? Should I answer yes or no?
Thanks
Answer is No. That section is for those who had a canadian passport before so answer No as its your first time applying.

Reactions: Anjushka

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
This is my Timeline guys!!

App sent: Dec 3 2021
App recv’d: Dec 6 2021
CC charged: Dec 9 2021

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
Hi,
I am taking my oath on the January 4th and have a flight to the UK on February the 1st. How can I make this work? Is it doable? My travel is non essential. It’s for a cosmetic doctor appointment. I’m from Calgary. If I pay the extra fee for urgent processing, would I get my passport earlier? Do they check if the reason for travel is essential or not? Thanks!

Reactions: varlam

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am taking my oath on the January 4th and have a flight to the UK on February the 1st. How can I make this work? Is it doable? My travel is non essential. It’s for a cosmetic doctor appointment. I’m from Calgary. If I pay the extra fee for urgent processing, would I get my passport earlier? Do they check if the reason for travel is essential or not? Thanks!
Please don't double post. As said in your other thread, it's not just about the passport.

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
Hi,
UP! Yeah of course I post here as well if I don’t get enough help.
Any help is appreciated guys. When I apply for urgent processing for passport, do they ask about my reason for travelling? If it’s non essential does it matter? Thanks

Anyox

Oct 15, 2020
UP! Yeah of course I post here as well if I don’t get enough help.
Any help is appreciated guys. When I apply for urgent processing for passport, do they ask about my reason for travelling? If it’s non essential does it matter? Thanks
I can understand the apprehension, but a read through this thread will quickly show you that the mail-in passport application is currently SLOW GOING and not your preferred route.

My experience suggests that you'll get your certificate about 7-10 days after the oath. If I were in your position, you're running low on days so it would make sense to me to book your appointment for urgent passport processing at your local passport office around Jan 20th. No idea how far out the Calgary office is booking out so it may be worth a call in the coming days to schedule. The Richmond BC office was recently booking about 2 weeks ahead for in person appointments.

In the event that you are unable to get your passport on time, there is a form for special authorization. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

In the event that you're a dual US citizen, I recently went through with my valid US passport and a photocopy of my citizenship certificate while DRIVING across the border due to my original being stuck in the passport processing limbo.

If this doesn't answer your question, I suggest you find another thread for the urgent processing times. Best of luck!!!

CassMoney

Dec 13, 2021
Hi everyone,

Found this forum to be a great help figuring out my own situation, so posting my timelines here as well.

I had a travel date of January 10 and called for an appointment on Nov 20. I was told as my trip was still within standard processing time that they were not giving out appointments and I was told to apply by mail. Applying from Toronto.

*Tip - Include your city of work for place of employment (full address), an agent called me to confirm the full address as I guess I forgot to include "Toronto, ON" in my application. She also confirmed that I would have my passport on Dec 23rd at the latest.

- Application Sent: Nov 23rd, 2021
- Application Delivered: Nov 24th, 2021 (Gatineau)
- CC Charged: Dec 2, 2021
- Call from Agent : Dec 7th, 2021
- Passport Printed:
- Passport Tracking Details received:
- Passport Received:
- Citizenship Certificate tracking details received:
- Citizenship Certificate Received:

Will update when I have more!

Marcw687

Jan 10, 2016
I applied in person at service canada on November 9th, last week on December 7th I requested status of my passport, but got nothing by December 9th (means they havent started on it?), then i called to request for Urgent service (I need to travel by this saturday, already paid $5500 for flight+hotel), and paid extra money. they said to go pick it up on Dec 16 in person, and thats what I'm planning to do

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......
Hi,
It doesn’t matter the reason for the flight, just show a booking. Also, If you show an urgent flight booking, you will not need to pay the extra fee for express pick-up.