+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

bakshivishal

May 6, 2014
For the photos that we mail, do we need to have photo studio info as well as guarantor's entire statement/signature on the back of the same photo? I was wondering how all of that would fit in.

Thanks,
Vishal

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
Decided to call today after I'd received an email that they cannot find my application. The agent could not find my application either. After a long verification process, he found that they entered my year of birth in their database incorrectly. The show goes on...

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
Sent passport application from British Columbia by fedex ground December 21st. Was expected to arrive by the 28th. It made it to Ottawa but has shown exception on file for the last three days. I called FedEx and was told no envelope deliveries until all packages from the holiday are delivered. And fedex is closed from December 31st thru January 3rd. Now it shows no delivery date as it’s pending.
Hoping it gets there soon after fedex reopens on January 4th.

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
yes, I had the same question. I just called them to confirm
@mintmint
Hello check this link and the references section

References and guarantors for Canadian travel document applications - Canada.ca

Who can’t be a reference
Your reference can’t be

• your guarantor
  • a family member, such as a
    • spouse or common-law partner
      • Whether you’re the opposite or same sex, you’re considered common-law partners if you’ve lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least 1 year, but you aren’t legally married.
      • However, if a marriage or common-law relationship has ended, your former spouse or partner can serve as a reference.
    • parent, step-parent, foster parent, or a parent’s spouse or common-law partner
    • mother-in-law or father-in-law
    • child (biological, adopted, foster, or stepchild), or your child’s spouse or common-law partner
    • son-in-law or daughter-in-law
    • sibling (brother, half-brother or stepbrother, or sister, half-sister or stepsister), or your sibling’s spouse or common-law partner
    • brother-in-law or sister-in-law
    • grandparent (biological, adopted, step or foster grandparent), or your grandparent’s spouse or common-law partner
    • grandmother-in-law or grandfather-in-law
    • grandchild (biological, adopted, step or foster grandchild), or your grandchild’s spouse or common-law partner
    • grandson-in-law or granddaughter-in-law
    • anyone else who’s related to you or your spouse or common-law partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, adoption or guardianship andlives at the same address as you
      • For example, if your aunt, uncle or cousin lives with you, they can’t be a reference.

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
Received my passport today!!!!
Sent Dec 3rd via Xpresspost
Recv’d Dec 6th Gatineau
Credit card charged Dec 9th

My journey is finally over!!!!
wow nice that was fast.
i will send my application by mail 2morow as they closed the walk in and appointment only for urgent travel and they need proof.
i was afraid from Canada post as i will send the original certificate, i will send it as express with tracking and also i will add insurance on it, multiple bad experience with Canada post

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
I also mailed in my application.

received by PP office on Dec 07,
Credit card charged on Dec 11th.

And when I called their helpline today, I was told that “yes application has been received but that’s about it, no further action on the application”.

The agent told me that applications are taking up to 3 months from the date when they were received.

anyone with similar timelines, what’s your experience?

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
I also mailed in my application.

received by PP office on Dec 07,

And when I called their helpline today, I was told that “yes application has been received but that’s about it, no further action on the application”.

The agent told me that applications are taking up to 3 months from the date when they were received.

Yes they will tell this to get rid of the callers and calls itnwill not take this much there is another one who had the same answer 3 months to get passport but his application was done in less than a month do not trust what they tell you. man taking 3 months to do a passport is an embarrassment for them i can apply for s passport in my home country and receive it faster there is no reason for the application to take this time

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
Yes they will tell this to get rid of the callers and calls itnwill not take this much there is another one who had the same answer 3 months to get passport but his application was done in less than a month do not trust what they tell you. man taking 3 months to do a passport is an embarrassment for them i can apply for s passport in my home country and receive it faster there is no reason for the application to take this time
That’s true. It seriously doesn’t make sense. When I told the agent that website says 20 working days, she said, “ohh website may not be updated but our passport office is so not close to that”.

This being a mail-in application, I wanted to know if they have everything that they need or if any additional documentation/information is needed but she didn’t have any of those updates.

She told me that Officer hasn’t even started with our applications and then she advised me to just keep calling every few weeks :))

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
That’s true. It seriously doesn’t make sense. When I told the agent that website says 20 working days, she said, “ohh website may not be updated but our passport office is so not close to that”.

This being a mail-in application, I wanted to know if they have everything that they need or if any additional documentation/information is needed but she didn’t have any of those updates.

She told me that Officer hasn’t even started with our applications and then she advised me to just keep calling every few weeks :))
yes keep calling every 5 days to check on it

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
received by PP office on Dec 07.

I got a similar timeline.

Appl. delivered on Dec 9th (mailed from the US).
Card charged on Dec 14th.

I sent a status request online two weeks after the application was delivered. Received an email that they cannot find my application in their system. Immediately called them after that. The agent said that they entered incorrectly my year of birth that's why they couldn't find my application.
The agent also said that I would be hearing something from them by Jan 12. If not, I should call again...

Reactions: Kornet

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
When applying for canadian passport as a family (2 adults, 1 minor):
1. Can I mail the applications together in one envelope (including our citizenship certificates), or does each person's application have to be mailed separately?
2. Must we all have the same Guarantor and references?
3. Does the Guarantor have to attest on the same passport photo that was signed by the photographer, or can he attest on the 2nd passport photo?