Dec 15, 2018
Got my passport!!!

App Sent: February 12
Web request sent: March 3
Web request reply: March 8 saying application received
CC: Charged March 9
Tracking Notification: March 21
Delivered: March 23
Congrats. Did they call the guarantor/references? And was your certificate delivered in the same envelope with the passport?

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I had to call and put a request in. Honestly mine was so straightforward yet took forever. Its so frustrating. I am so sick of everywhere using covid as an excuse
What do you mean you "had to .. put a request in" for the tracking info? Do you mean you asked them to send you the tracking info when the documents are sent out, and they did that (that would be surprising they to me), or they included the tracking details in an update email to a request you made earlier?

Sobea

Nov 30, 2019
Does anyone know if I can apply for passport in person at service Canada? I am not planning to travel this year. Thank you.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Does anyone know if I can apply for passport in person at service Canada? I am not planning to travel this year. Thank you.
I think you can, but your application would take as long as if you mailed it, and the passport would be mailed back to you unless you pay extra fees to pick it up from the office. On the plus side, you would go home with your citizenship certificate.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Question: do I need the citizenship certificate every time I apply for a passport renewal after I get my first passport?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadians-experience-lengthy-wait-times-for-passports-due-to-surge-in-demand-1.5831976

According to Employment and Social Development Canada, processing time for a passport is five business days for those applying in person and 17 business days for those applying by mail.
Not even close. Unless these are for renewals and not first time passports, because those MUST go through more rigorous scrutiny to make sure they are Canadians, despite the fact they provided their original citizenship certificate with the application, the official proof they are Canadians.

angelt

Mar 23, 2022
I had to call and put a request in. Honestly mine was so straightforward yet took forever. Its so frustrating. I am so sick of everywhere using covid as an excuse
Hi, Sent my renewal passport applic in expresspost Feb 15, received in Mississauga Feb 17. Have heard nothing, no response to email request. Called today at 2:30 pacific time, 378 people ahead of me, when down to 98 call got disconnected (at 4:00 p.m.). Called back right away, 301 in front of me, now down to 94 in front of me but only open to 8 pm eastern time, so pacific time they are closed. Will they answer my call on hold since 4:00 pm? Frustrating!

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Hi, Sent my renewal passport applic in expresspost Feb 15, received in Mississauga Feb 17. Have heard nothing, no response to email request. Called today at 2:30 pacific time, 378 people ahead of me, when down to 98 call got disconnected (at 4:00 p.m.). Called back right away, 301 in front of me, now down to 94 in front of me but only open to 8 pm eastern time, so pacific time they are closed. Will they answer my call on hold since 4:00 pm? Frustrating!
Sorry to hear that. Your local time zone doesn’t matter. They work on eastern time so you can expect them to attend your call until 8pm ET.

Last edited:

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
You can try in-person. It doesn’t speed up the process and more likely you will get the appointment after a month or two unless it’s an urgent request with proof of travel.

The only advantage of applying in person is that, you need not send your citizenship certificate with your application. They will just scan it and return it to you during your appointment.

yma981

Dec 21, 2010
Visa Office......
Lebanon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
24-02-2012
Med's Done....
05-03-2012
Passport Req..
25-07-2013
is there a spreadsheet for in-person/mail-in passports ?

2020mtl

Mar 23, 2022
Thanks! Got through after almost 3 hours. They said it was in process, gave me my file number, and said they would reach out to the processing office to communicate my travel date. I am just glad they have it and are working on it. Hopefully, I'll get it soon.

Good luck to everyone waiting!