+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
I sent a normal update request, and not a complaint. 17 days and still the system doesn't show a document was sent to an already open file? It seems they treat all received mails as new mails, which take 3 weeks to open. Did you write on the envelop something to indicate it's not a new mail?
I wrote a file number on the envelope.

Reactions: CaBeaver

smitsmart

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23-05-2017
Med's Done....
30-06-2017
LANDED..........
21-10-2017
My CC got charged last night. Hope to get the passport soon. What is the timelines after the CC charge?

AnkiQC

Dec 28, 2021
Does anyone know if I can apply for passport in person at service Canada? I am not planning to travel this year. Thank you.
You can, I did it last week. The upside is they verify the forms and documentation right there with you (they made me make some corrections/additions) and they also make the copies and return your originals right there and then. That's a plus for me. I hated the idea of sending my certificates by mail and wondering when (if?) I'd ever get them back :D

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Question - Do the online status request actually work ? I am not getting any response for my requests. How many days it takes usually ?

gcamp

Mar 22, 2022
My CC got charged last night. Hope to get the passport soon. What is the timelines after the CC charge?
Mine was charged on March 10th. I phoned Tuesday (22nd) to get an update on the status and was told that it could still be up to 2 weeks to receive it. I still haven’t gotten it. My application was received Feb 10th.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
You can, I did it last week. The upside is they verify the forms and documentation right there with you (they made me make some corrections/additions) and they also make the copies and return your originals right there and then. That's a plus for me. I hated the idea of sending my certificates by mail and wondering when (if?) I'd ever get them back :D
What kind of corrections/additions? I wonder if similar things in a mailed application could delay its processing!

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Mine was charged on March 10th. I phoned Tuesday (22nd) to get an update on the status and was told that it could still be up to 2 weeks to receive it. I still haven’t gotten it. My application was received Feb 10th.
Oh boy. That’s very discouraging and hard to digest the fact the processing times are longer day by day :( . I lost hope on the whole in-mail application thing. We send the most important document that directly impacts our livelihood but no transparency in the process.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
When did you apply? I would say 2 weeks if CC charged after 3 weeks from delivery, but according to recent report, passport Canada is experiencing a high volume of applications these days. I am not sure if they will find an efficient way to handle the load. So far, the indication is they are not very efficient. For example, if you want to call, you need to wait 1.5-3 hours to talk to an agent, and update requests are basically not being answered.

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
Please if anyone can answer my questions below

can your father in law be your guarantor ?
and for the 2 references can i give my friend and his wifes name ?

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Please if anyone can answer my questions below

can your father in law be your guarantor ?
and for the 2 references can i give my friend and his wifes name ?
1) Yes your father in law can be your guarantor as long as he’s a Canadian and know you for at least 2 years.

2) Yes your friend and his wife can be your references. There are no restrictions but try to get references from two different households. If not, it’s OK.

Reactions: sting_hard

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Did they say at least if it was approved? Some people got it in 3 calendar weeks. I am not sure why it takes much longer for others. Maybe they run another background check for some and send applications to secondary verification with IRCC?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Oh boy. That’s very discouraging and hard to digest the fact the processing times are longer day by day :( . I lost hope on the whole in-mail application thing. We send the most important document that directly impacts our livelihood but no transparency in the process.
The inefficiency and lack of transparency is across the board. I thought once we are citizens, thing will be different. Boy, was I wrong. In a recent report they say it takes 17 business days for in-mail applications, but that's entirely not true. It takes at least 25 business days if not more. Unless, these 17 days are not meant for us, new Canadians.

• Sad
Reactions: PumpkinJack

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Did they say at least if it was approved? Some people got it in 3 calendar weeks. I am not sure why it takes much longer for others. Maybe they run another background check for some and send applications to secondary verification with IRCC?
Yeah I read they are doing some checks with IRCC to validate your eligibility. The barcode in your citizenship certificate should be sufficient to verify and that’s what they scan if you apply in the Passport Canada office before Covid.

What I suspect is that, it depends if you mentioned any nearby date as the date of travel in your application. If you put ‘Unknown’ , your application could be put on low priority to be processed whenever.

Reactions: sk000 and CaBeaver

gcamp

Mar 22, 2022
Is was told it was in production meaning it’s off to be printed.

Reactions: CaBeaver