+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen and spouse living abroad

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen living abroad with my husband. We are planning to move to Canada in the next few years and we would apply while both living (together) abroad.

We are planning to live in Quebec. I know that if I was living in Quebec when applying, then Quebec would want to review further docs during the application process. However, if I apply while living abroad (but planning to move to Quebec), would we avoid the Quebec part of the application process?

Also, when we got married (10 years ago) we were young and didn't have a super wedding (it was just the 2 of us with 2 witnesses, we didn't have a party with friends and parents). We are a bit concerned about submitting photos of our wedding as they don't show many people (we were dressed well, but not like a bride etc).

Lastly, can you point me in the direction of the document checklist for this type of application (both of us living abroad when applying).

Thanks.

twinmama15

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
My husband, myself and 2 daughters live in Australia. I’m Canadian, husband is Australian, and daughters are dual. We had two witnesses at our wedding, we did not send photos of any type. We sent our marriage certificate, proof we live together, joint bank account, utility bills etc. because you have been married 10 years it’s very easy to prove your relationship. The bigger part of the application is actually proving your intent to permanently move back to Canada.
We did all of our research on areas we would live, schools, gymnastics clubs for the girls, resumes, housing prices, utility companies, vehicle costing, mobile phones etc. We looked up everything imaginable and gave them our life plan.
I cannot answer on the Quebec side of it as we’re moving to Calgary but either way you have to provide proof you will be moving back to Canada permanently. We had no issues, we applied in August 2021 and got the visa in Jan 2022. Best of luck

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/apply.html

Forms here, just start reading through the application and filling out the forms. (If you apply later, you'll have to check that the forms haven't changed - they tend to a couple of times a year).

Most importantly this will let you know what's needed - i.e. go through not so much to fill out (if it's way in future) but to identify what is needed and how to get those things. Pay special attention to the checklist document - this is main way you will identify what you need in terms of documents etc.

Because you've been together so long, you won't need to provide much additional proof. In fact, if married 2+ years, living together, children together, first marriage for both (no divorces), they explicitly say they do not need additional documentation (eg no wedding pictures needed). And at any rate, if 'culturally appropriate', no big deal if small wedding anyway.

As noted: pay special attention to what docs you will need to show intent to return to Canada.

Quebec: if you intend to move to Quebec, you'll need to go that step. Since you'll also need to show stuff like where you plan to live, won't be very practical to not be upfront about it.

If though you decide to settle in Ottawa and after it's approved and you have all your docs, there's no punishment to arrive in Canada and move to Quebec.