canada's realty the tough one

rahulk9

Star Member
Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
What did you expect? Red carpet on arrival? Instant job on $80'000 per year? The key word for every immigrant is preparation. Read, read and read about Canada. Preferably go there for a visit to see how it is. Ask those who have been and done it. There is no place on earth where everything is 100% perfect.

We have no relatives here, but found it very easy to integrate and are now an established part of Vancouver. So every medal has two sides. Just don't give up.
Agree with you. A newly landed immigrant is as new to Canada as Canada is to him. It is the responsibility of the immigrant to prepare and learn as much as possible about the country. I have seen many examples where people are in a hurry to land there with the attitude of "Will see and manage". That is not the way to go.

smcan2014

Oct 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
06-01-2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Wow that's a big amount.
To replenish what you would lose, even for a initial 6 month job search period, would take a long time.

For example if it takes 6 months to find a job it will it be straight +-25,000 out of your savings.
Then say after 6 months you find a 80K job which is equivalent to 6.6K a month before taxes or 4.95K after taxes(approx).
Your monthly expenses after you have started working will most probably go up by at least 15% ( commute, lunch, dresses, eating out more frequently, etc). So if your expenses were 4.16K per month it will be now 4.6K a month.
This leaves you with a saving of around $400 a month. At this rate it will take you at least 62.5 months to recover the 25,000 that you lost in the first 6 months. Also don't forget the monthly expense of your kids education. This is very important and very expensive for some people.
Don't forget there will be occasional huge expenses like your car breaking down, kid's birthday parties, home country visits, parents coming over etc and these burn a big hole into your pocket.

Things would be slightly better if you can find a job sooner but even then it would not drastically change the monthly savings figure of around $500.
Also, did you guys think of retirement? whatever you save is what you will have at retirement. Also, don't forget that the buying power of any currency depreciates year over year. So what 10 dollars can buy today will not be the same 30-40 years on.
You need a way higher paying job and your spouse needs to work as well to live a good life before and after retirement.

vinisha09 said:
50,000 CAD is FOR ONE YEAR for living in major cities like Toronto,Montreal etc for a family of 5 - husband, wife and 3 children.
This figure quoted is for living a pleasant and enjoyable life without any job for both husband and wife

walidcanada

Star Member
Jul 17, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smcan2014 said:
Wow that's a big amount.
To replenish what you would lose, even for a initial 6 month job search period, would take a long time.

For example if it takes 6 months to find a job it will it be straight +-25,000 out of your savings.
Then say after 6 months you find a 80K job which is equivalent to 6.6K a month before taxes or 4.95K after taxes(approx).
Your monthly expenses after you have started working will most probably go up by at least 15% ( commute, lunch, dresses, eating out more frequently, etc). So if your expenses were 4.16K per month it will be now 4.6K a month.
This leaves you with a saving of around $400 a month. At this rate it will take you at least 62.5 months to recover the 25,000 that you lost in the first 6 months. Also don't forget the monthly expense of your kids education. This is very important and very expensive for some people.
Don't forget there will be occasional huge expenses like your car breaking down, kid's birthday parties, home country visits, parents coming over etc and these burn a big hole into your pocket.

Things would be slightly better if you can find a job sooner but even then it would not drastically change the monthly savings figure of around $500.
Also, did you guys think of retirement? whatever you save is what you will have at retirement. Also, don't forget that the buying power of any currency depreciates year over year. So what 10 dollars can buy today will not be the same 30-40 years on.
You need a way higher paying job and your spouse needs to work as well to live a good life before and after retirement.
Thank you for this post.

Despite the expnses you have mentioned, people would immigrate for other reasons, not only for savings.

For instance myself, I would like to give my kids a qualitly of education, health coverage and for sure FREEDOM and equity of life, respect...etc

I have a home in my country and small project which I can earn good amount.So, Im not worried about saving.

I look forward to landing soon :-*

vinisha09

Oct 26, 2014
walidcanada said:
Thank you for this post.

Despite the expnses you have mentioned, people would immigrate for other reasons, not only for savings.

For instance myself, I would like to give my kids a qualitly of education, health coverage and for sure FREEDOM and equity of life, respect...etc

I have a home in my country and small project which I can earn good amount.So, Im not worried about saving.

yes, agreed
its not only money - there are many other things that drive people to settle in CANADA.

rahulk9

Star Member
Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
walidcanada said:
Thank you for this post.

Totally agree with you. If i make it to Canada, I will be happy to have at least a corruption free system. Overall immigration to Canada is for a better life.

smcan2014

Oct 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
06-01-2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sure humans will always be treated as humans in Canada and not just like mere commodities that many other countries do. But to have a good life, good health insurance and to provide good education you need money. In your case it might be different but people at times forget apart from the federal taxes they also have to incur medical costs and other taxes from their pay checks that leaves peanuts as take home salary. 80,000 dollars a year would leave you nothing or next to nothing t take home.

walidcanada said:
Thank you for this post.

smcan2014

Oct 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
06-01-2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Unfortunately better life comes with better money or better salary. They are tied together and can't be disentangled. A person living on the streets of Canada is in Canada but does not have a very good life. A person working in gas station lives paycheck to paycheck and does not have a good life either or for that matter a single income family making around 80K will have a better life than the last two groups of people but will still not have a very good life either. Just my 2 cents on the possible lifestyle in Canada .......

rahulk9 said:
Totally agree with you. If i make it Canada, I will be happy to have at least a corruption free system. Overall immigration to Canada is for a better life.

walidcanada

Star Member
Jul 17, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smcan2014 said:
Sure humans will always be treated as humans in Canada and not just like mere commodities that many other countries do. But to have a good life, good health insurance and to provide good education you need money. In your case it might be different but people at times forget apart from the federal taxes they also have to incur medical costs and other taxes from their pay checks that leaves peanuts as take home salary. 80,000 dollars a year would leave you nothing or next to nothing t take home.
GOD will praise everyone works hard and towards a goal.

80,000 should not be a goal for us. My limit is the sky bro and sure for others too who have suffered to make it to Canada.

Im very sure who will study the move well, will ace it.

Cheers,
W.

smcan2014

Oct 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
06-01-2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Did you check on the salary ranges for your occupation and what percentile of people are in the top bracket? Also, factor in the living expenses of the people who are in the top bracket. for example you may get 120k in Vancouver but living expenses (housing, transportation, grocery etc) might be sky high in that city.
Also, I said 80k because that seemed like the dream salary, based on the 2nd or 3rd post, for newcomers to Canada.
walidcanada said:
GOD will praise everyone works hard and towards a goal.

80,000 should not be a goal for us. My limit is the sky bro and sure for others too who habe suffered to make it to Canada.

Im very sure who will study the move well, will ace it.

Cheers,
W.

walidcanada

Star Member
Jul 17, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smcan2014 said:
Did you check on the salary ranges for your occupation and what percentile of people are in the top bracket? Also, factor in the living expenses of the people who are in the top bracket. for example you may get 120k in Vancouver but living expenses (housing, transportation, grocery etc) might be sky high in that city.
Also, I said 80k because that seemed like the dream salary, based on the 2nd or 3rd post, for newcomers to Canada.
Yes I did. but my plan is based on the worst case scenario.

Im planning to study and then look for a job. My wife also will be on the same boat.

We will invest in our kids, ourselves then will look for jobs..

Again, I dont have any savings issue. I will come to canada for better life.

You are totaly right. ppl should plan it well but again not to the extend they should quit the challenge.

rahulk9

Star Member
Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smcan2014 said:
Unfortunately better life comes with better money or better salary. They are tied together and can't be disentangled. A person living on the streets of Canada is in Canada but does not have a very good life. A person working in gas station lives paycheck to paycheck and does not have a good life either or for that matter a single income family making around 80K will have a better life than the last two groups of people but will still not have a very good life either. Just my 2 cents on the possible lifestyle in Canada .......
See it is up to you what you make out of your life. For a salary above 80K you have to build a career. It will start from your education credentials and your talent. A person living on street or working at a gas station is doing it at his own will. A dropout cannot expect a 80K+ salary just because he is living in Canada.

boldon

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8 June 2010
Doc's Request.
20 October 2010
AOR Received.
January 2011
IELTS Request
included in application
File Transfer...
not applicable
Med's Request
13 February 2014
Med's Done....
19 March 2014
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
3 May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
2 June 2014 (yahoo!)
LANDED..........
mid October 2014
i saw this old article while trawling the net - just a bit of perspective i guess

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/19/canada-immigration-foreign-skilled-workers_n_2293003.html

smcan2014

Oct 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
06-01-2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
True, but it is not easy as it sounds especially if you have children. If you are single and not married its a different story. I just keep reminding myself of something that I have learnt from experience is that by keeping your eyes blindfolded, not thinking practically, not thinking about future consequences and escaping reality you never avoid the perils but actually get sucked into it. However, good luck to me and everybody.

But please don't say that you guys don't care about savings. That reflects immaturity. Remember, if you did not have savings you would not have been able to apply to the FSW program in the first place.

rahulk9 said:
See it is up to you what you make out of your life. For a salary above 80K you have to build a career. It will start from your education credentials and your talent. A person living on street or working at a gas station is doing it at his own will. A dropout cannot expect a 80K+ salary just because he is living in Canada.

rahulk9

Star Member
Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
boldon said:
i saw this old article while trawling the net - just a bit of perspective i guess

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/19/canada-immigration-foreign-skilled-workers_n_2293003.html
It is clearly mentioned that concerned person had very low score in language department. It is important to brush up your English or French speaking skills. You will never be successful if you can't communicate your ideas no matter how high level degrees you hold. This is one main reason why new immigrants don't get jobs.

smcan2014

Oct 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
06-01-2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Language should never be that big a roadblock that you have to remain unemployed for your life. I have seen several lingualy challenged persons who are very successful in life.

rahulk9 said:
It is clearly mentioned that concerned person had very low score in language department. It is important to brush up your English or French speaking skills. You will never be successful if you can't communicate your ideas no matter how high level degrees you hold. This is one main reason why new immigrants don't get jobs.