+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada prepared to welcome an 'unlimited number' of Ukrainians fleeing war, minister says

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Canada Immigration Minister Sean Fraser announced Thursday the federal government has created 2 new pathways for Ukrainians fleeing their war-torn country to come to Canada — part of a plan to accept an "unlimited number" of people who want to leave.

To start, Fraser said his department has created a new visa category that will allow a limitless number of Ukrainians to come to Canada to live, work or study here for up to two years.

People accepted under the Canada Ukraine Authorization For Emergency Travel program will have an open work or study permit and employers will be free to hire as many Ukrainians as they want.

Fraser said the federal government is waiving most of the typical visa requirements but applicants will still need to supply biometrics and undergo a background screening process before leaving for Canada. The application process will open in two weeks' time.

Fraser said the department is prepared for a possible influx of Ukrainians and there are biometric kits and personnel ready to assist would-be applicants at diplomatic posts in Warsaw, Vienna and Bucharest and at 30 other locations throughout Europe. Canada is also waiving application fees for all Ukrainians who want to avail themselves of this program.

Fraser also announced the government is introducing an "expedited path" to permanent residency for Ukrainians with family in Canada. The minister said a "wider circle of family members" will be able to sponsor Ukrainians who want to come to Canada on a more permanent basis.

Some critics, including NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, have called on the government to drop the visa requirement altogether to allow all Ukrainians to travel to Canada unencumbered.

Asked about the possibility of visa-free travel for Ukrainians, Fraser said that sort of change would require 12 to 14 weeks of work to implement because the department's IT systems would need "certain renovations" and airlines would have to change their normal processes. He said the situation is urgent and there's no time for a three-month delay.

Fraser also said it's prudent to conduct background checks on all applicants to weed out any Russian collaborators. He said a blanket visa waiver would mean some people could "slip through the cracks," including people aligned with Russia who have attacked Ukrainian forces in the breakaway regions of the Donbas.

The Ukrainian Canadian Congress said the new pathways will help some of the nearly one million people who've already fled the country.

"Canada, together with all civilized nations, is mobilizing in support of efforts to help these innocent people. Our community is grateful," the group's president, Alexandra Chyczij, said in a media statement.

"Russia is trying to destroy Ukrainian cities and towns from the air. These are crimes against humanity that are causing a humanitarian catastrophe not seen in Europe since World War II."

Jun 7, 2020
Did anyone here apply for Canadian Visa's for ukrainians from european countries?

I submitted an application for my sister that escaped from war in Ukraine to Romania, and wondering if anyone could share their timelines to get a better grasp on the length of the expedited process promised to ukrainians.

We received an invitation for biometrics the following day after submitting the application, but the process seemed to slow down after we provided thebiometrics :-(

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Did anyone here apply for Canadian Visa's for ukrainians from european countries?

I submitted an application for my sister that escaped from war in Ukraine to Romania, and wondering if anyone could share their timelines to get a better grasp on the length of the expedited process promised to ukrainians.

We received an invitation for biometrics the following day after submitting the application, but the process seemed to slow down after we provided thebiometrics :-(
Yes, my wife was just approved after about 10 days a Temporary Visitor Visa from Ukraine. This approval comes after 2.5 years of Refusal Spousal Sponsorship Application (Immigration Canada calling my wife a LIAR and a FRAUD trying to come into Canada at her interview in Kyiv Visa Office) and 1 previous TRV rejection a year ago.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020
Yes, my wife was just approved after about 10 days a Temporary Visitor Visa from Ukraine. This approval comes after 2.5 years of Refusal Spousal Sponsorship Application (Immigration Canada calling my wife a LIAR and a FRAUD trying to come into Canada at her interview in Kyiv Visa Office) and 1 previous TRV rejection a year ago.
Sorry to hear about your struggle and happy that it was approved after all. Was the last one submitted outside Ukraine?
I'm with my sister in Romania and we\re stuck waiting for passport request :-(

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Sorry to hear about your struggle and happy that it was approved after all. Was the last one submitted outside Ukraine?
I'm with my sister in Romania and we\re stuck waiting for passport request :-(
My wife is submitting passport to Romania VAC by courier this week.
We applied out of Ukraine by next day she was in Bulgaria already, but the PPR comes by email so it doesn't matter where you are.

As I understood from Romania Vfs website, they do not accept passport drop-off in person, only courier. Also, it is very frustrating that their contact dept. (customer service) is off line, so cannot even inquire about any questions related to passport submission, etc. Its really absurd system.

Are you waiting for decision on her TRV? Is she a Ukrainian national?

Huntingwhale

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
Any word on how/if/when this new program (Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel ) is starting up? IRCC has been completely silent on the issue since their press release 2 weeks ago and no new information anywhere other than mid-March. Is it supposed to be a new online portal where applications are submitted online? My wife and I have 2 UA refugees staying with us, one of whom is her cousin. My wife recently got her COPR and I am her sponsor. We want to see if it's feasible to bring her cousin to Canada with this new program. Would be good to know of any additional information.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Any word on how/if/when this new program (Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel ) is starting up? IRCC has been completely silent on the issue since their press release 2 weeks ago and no new information anywhere other than mid-March. Is it supposed to be a new online portal where applications are submitted online? My wife and I have 2 UA refugees staying with us, one of whom is her cousin. My wife recently got her COPR and I am her sponsor. We want to see if it's feasible to bring her cousin to Canada with this new program. Would be good to know of any additional information.
No news yet. There are rumours the full details may come out today. However no idea how accurate those rumours are.

Reactions: Huntingwhale

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Thanks. Heard the same thing too. Will just have to keep waiting.
Its already 11am and still radio silence from the government. I have a bad feeling this is some kind of filibustering. Since 2 weeks there have been zero updates or clues about this plan, no even a leak...perhaps there is nothing to leak...
Same old government empty promises. Still have hope as the day isn't done yet. Lets see....half the country is waiting for an announcement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its already 11am and still radio silence from the government. I have a bad feeling this is some kind of filibustering. Since 2 weeks there have been zero updates or clues about this plan, no even a leak...perhaps there is nothing to leak...
Same old government empty promises. Still have hope as the day isn't done yet. Lets see....half the country is waiting for an announcement.
This is a very complex and large situation. Canada is likely negotiating with the EU about how many Ukranoan citizens they are willing to commit to having in Canada. IRCC has huge backlogs and can't even deal with the Afghan refugees so determining what resources can be allocated is also an issue. When it comes to refugee situations Canada also often targets certain vulnerable populations so which population has to be decided. Saw that we have already accepted some pediatric cancer patients. As I have previously indicated it looks like Canada would prefer to approve travel for those who have a support network in Canada already especially because the settlement agencies are still struggling with many Afghan families in hotels or arriving without support networks. Those with funds, who have desired skills may also be prioritized. It also seems as though they would prefer that Ukranian citizens get a WP and apply for PR after 1 year of work versus applying for asylum. The asylum system could easily be overwhelmed if every Ukranian applied through the existing asylum programs. For many it may be better to get a WP and apply for PR that way if that would like to remain in Canada. It may seem like a slow response but this is a very recent situation. These are expensive and complex decisions so it is understandable that it has taken some time. Many with existing TRVs have already travelled so that is likely thousands.

When it comes to IRCC or VFS not having a direct line to contact about passport processing assume this is to prevent a huge volume of calls checking about when people can drop off passports, phoning daily for an update on processing, etc. The majoriry of calls would be unecessary and it would take up a tremendous amount of resources around the world.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
This is a very complex and large situation. Canada is likely negotiating with the EU about how many Ukranoan citizens they are willing to commit to having in Canada. IRCC has huge backlogs and can't even deal with the Afghan refugees so determining what resources can be allocated is also an issue. When it comes to refugee situations Canada also often targets certain vulnerable populations so which population has to be decided. Saw that we have already accepted some pediatric cancer patients. As I have previously indicated it looks like Canada would prefer to approve travel for those who have a support network in Canada already especially because the settlement agencies are still struggling with many Afghan families in hotels or arriving without support networks. Those with funds, who have desired skills may also be prioritized. It also seems as though they would prefer that Ukranian citizens get a WP and apply for PR after 1 year of work versus applying for asylum. The asylum system could easily be overwhelmed if every Ukranian applied through the existing asylum programs. For many it may be better to get a WP and apply for PR that way if that would like to remain in Canada. It may seem like a slow response but this is a very recent situation. These are expensive and complex decisions so it is understandable that it has taken some time. Many with existing TRVs have already travelled so that is likely thousands.

When it comes to IRCC or VFS not having a direct line to contact about passport processing assume this is to prevent a huge volume of calls checking about when people can drop off passports, phoning daily for an update on processing, etc. The majoriry of calls would be unecessary and it would take up a tremendous amount of resources around the world.
Sure I agree, but then the gov should make their true intentions public, and not make it look like all Ukrainian refugees are welcome and promise this March 17th opening of the new stream if nothing is going to happen, right? Not use such misleading wording as "unlimited number" of refugees. Ok, like I said maybe I'm jumping the gun and there will is an imminent announcement, lets see...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure I agree, but then the gov should make their true intentions public, and not make it look like all Ukrainian refugees are welcome and promise this March 17th opening of the new stream if nothing is going to happen, right? Not use such misleading wording as "unlimited number" of refugees. Ok, like I said maybe I'm jumping the gun and there will is an imminent announcement, lets see...
In all political announcements there is always nuance and often exaggeration. It's unfortunate because if you aren't politically aware you may take political announcements at face value. Canada was never going to accept unlimited refugees from Ukraine. History is probably the best indicator of possible numbers. Would imagine that 40k like Afghanistan is a more realistic target. I have seen many on the news expecting a lot more than is likely going to be provided like free flights, cuts to property taxes if you are housing a Ukranian citizen, access to provincial healthcare on arrival and access to all benefits like free or highly subsidized medication on arrival from the province, child benefit, free postsecondary education, welfare on arrival but with additional resettlement funds, etc. Like in many other refugee situations a portion of financial support often falls on private groups, family, etc.until people can start earning an income. I assume the government is trying to primarily accept people who can become self-sufficient quickly and a certain number of Ukranians who will be accepted based on vulnerability who are likely to be dependent on the government for financial support longterm. For many Canada will not be a good resettlement option due to distance
from Ukraine and expense. Although the situation in Ukraine is atrocious conditions in other parts of the world are very similar so Canada can't provide substantial benefits to only one group of refugees. Think people have to temper their expectations when it comes to the inmigration programs for Ukranian refugees. Although I appreciate that many are waiting for more details about this program I also understand how complex putting together these emergency programs are and hopefully the government only announces the plan when they have already ironed out all the details, done their projections on how many Canada can absorb and how fast Canada can process travel document requests, WP applications, asylum applications, etc. You also want to prevent a large number of people applying if the application fees are waived if they don't have firm plans to relocate to Canada and have figured out things like whether they can pay for travel to Canada, whether they have temporary housing when they arrive in Canada, whether they speak English or French and will be able to find work easily, etc. Most shelters are full and covid has made providing shelter more difficult. We'll all need to wait and see what happens. it is such a fluid situation and Canada is being pressured to commit to accepting a large number of refugees to try and relieve pressure on European countries especially Eastern Europe and countries bordering Ukraine. Of course rhe government is also dealing with many serious international and domestic iasues at the same time and IRCC is so backlogged and this will create ad1fitiinal backlogs and challenges.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.