+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada or Australia Migration

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There have been some attacks in Australia that have gotten world attention, but I wouldn't say that Australia is much more racist than Canada can be. There are thugs every place you go. I have found the UK to be very racist in some regards.

As for which country is better, I would say that are as much the same as they are different. I would be happy in either country.

-i-

Mar 4, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks...

I wished to have a comparative idea about application costs for Australia and Canada...
For Canada I know its a total of CAD 1040 (=490+550) for a single principal applicant
Now what're the cost(s) like for Australian application? and are there any installments?

Kindly please share.
Thanks

tamercool

Jun 10, 2009
the cost for Australia 2100 au $ = 1600 us$
my opinion Australia is much better than Canada
easy job , good weather , easy to collect points test , in normal case take about one year to landing
easy to make assessment for your education especially engineers
thanks

rascojenkins

Jul 25, 2008
tamercool said:
the cost for Australia 2100 au $ = 1600 us$
my opinion Australia is much better than Canada
easy job , good weather , easy to collect points test , in normal case take about one year to landing
easy to make assessment for your education especially engineers
thanks
Intresting

moneycat

Jan 30, 2010
I live in Australia and moving to Canada now, so I can share these points very well (I think).

Canada:
1) Cheaper to live
2) More opportunities and more interesting things to do in Canada and also near USA
3) North America in general is a better place for Business Owners especially
4) Cheaper schools
5) Much cheaper food & electronics, clothing..etc
6) Housing price (Vancouver) is more or less same as Sydney (Australia); but Toronto & Montreal are much cheaper than Australia
7) Rental in generally is much cheaper in Canada (around 20% to 30% less)
8) Cars are much cheaper in North America

But the weather is a factor, Canada has longer winter time, although. hardly snow in Vancouver. Australia is freaking hot every year, summers can be as long as 6 months, and it is really hot, this has added to huge costs for utilities.

Australia
1) Job market "seems" to be better than North America now, but it can be a misperception, a lot of jobs do not even exist in Australia especially those relating to IT, Multimedia, Hi-Tech industries. For instance, if you are in network or telecommunications or semiconductors, then it will be hard to find job in Australia, so make sure your skills are relevant to Australiane economy.
2) Cost of living in Australia is a joke, it has been rising every year and is now catching up to Europe. Food is especially expensive here because of fewer competition, high petrol price.
3) Racism is not really an issue in Australia or Canada, back in 1980s and 1990s, it was a big problem. Although, I do not find Australians as "open-minded" as Canadians in terms of accepting other cultures in some rural areas and cities. Generally, it is OK.
4) Not a great place to be a business owner, but a better place to be an "Employee"
5) Do not be fooled that people are laid-back in Australia, living cost is high, so many people have 2 jobs or double-income families; you have to work hard either in Canada or Australia.
6) Utilities bills have skyrocketed over the past few years unfortunately.
7) Very far away from the rest of the world and not many cities to visit in Australia, travel & accomodation costs are very expensive compared to North America. It is close to Asia though if you like to visit Asia regularly (min. 7 hours flight).

I have lived here for over 20 years; the living cost is what has driven many people leaving for overseas, that said, Australia is growing, but at a cost of many benefits; family benefits are not as good as before, fundamentally, it is a small country (population wise), and this means higher cost of living.

Rental cost is very high here, it is normal to see rental A$500/week just for a 2-bedroom apartment in some not-so-good areas.

Interest rate here is also about 3 to 4% higher than Canada, and housing is actually more expensive.

Visit both countries first, go to realestate.com.au to get an idea for property market in Australia.

Both are great countries; I am more in favor of Canada as I like colder weather; and most of my businesses are outside Australia anyway.

Reactions: fièrementcanadien

tran

May 10, 2009
If anyone can't make it to either Canada or Australia, you can try Singapore.
The Singapore government welcome new immigrants from all countries. Singapore has
plenty of job opportunities, good educational system, clean environment(no pollution)
and good security.

charninder

Jul 2, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada is definitely far away better than oz because after all, money is not everything that is why BCguy is right in saying that "there is long line for Canada Immigration". In so many ways Canada is far better, in Canada every resident is Canadian but that is not the case in Oz.

This is only my opinion, Sorry for my open-mindedness.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
moneycat said:
I live in Australia and moving to Canada now, so I can share these points very well (I think).

Canada:
1) Cheaper to live
2) More opportunities and more interesting things to do in Canada and also near USA
3) North America in general is a better place for Business Owners especially
4) Cheaper schools
5) Much cheaper food & electronics, clothing..etc
6) Housing price (Vancouver) is more or less same as Sydney (Australia); but Toronto & Montreal are much cheaper than Australia
7) Rental in generally is much cheaper in Canada (around 20% to 30% less)
8) Cars are much cheaper in North America

But the weather is a factor, Canada has longer winter time, although. hardly snow in Vancouver. Australia is freaking hot every year, summers can be as long as 6 months, and it is really hot, this has added to huge costs for utilities.

Australia
1) Job market "seems" to be better than North America now, but it can be a misperception, a lot of jobs do not even exist in Australia especially those relating to IT, Multimedia, Hi-Tech industries. For instance, if you are in network or telecommunications or semiconductors, then it will be hard to find job in Australia, so make sure your skills are relevant to Australiane economy.
2) Cost of living in Australia is a joke, it has been rising every year and is now catching up to Europe. Food is especially expensive here because of fewer competition, high petrol price.
3) Racism is not really an issue in Australia or Canada, back in 1980s and 1990s, it was a big problem. Although, I do not find Australians as "open-minded" as Canadians in terms of accepting other cultures in some rural areas and cities. Generally, it is OK.
4) Not a great place to be a business owner, but a better place to be an "Employee"
5) Do not be fooled that people are laid-back in Australia, living cost is high, so many people have 2 jobs or double-income families; you have to work hard either in Canada or Australia.
6) Utilities bills have skyrocketed over the past few years unfortunately.
7) Very far away from the rest of the world and not many cities to visit in Australia, travel & accomodation costs are very expensive compared to North America. It is close to Asia though if you like to visit Asia regularly (min. 7 hours flight).

I have lived here for over 20 years; the living cost is what has driven many people leaving for overseas, that said, Australia is growing, but at a cost of many benefits; family benefits are not as good as before, fundamentally, it is a small country (population wise), and this means higher cost of living.

Rental cost is very high here, it is normal to see rental A$500/week just for a 2-bedroom apartment in some not-so-good areas.

Interest rate here is also about 3 to 4% higher than Canada, and housing is actually more expensive.

Visit both countries first, go to realestate.com.au to get an idea for property market in Australia.

Both are great countries; I am more in favor of Canada as I like colder weather; and most of my businesses are outside Australia anyway.
Hi Moneycat,

Just wondering besides the cost of living, why are u moving to canada instead of staying the comfy aussie land, which u have lived for more than 20 yrs? Actually, i was planning to go to Australia to complete my PHD and then move to Canada after that! but hesitating cause the living cost in Australia is pretty high, especially in sydney (since sydney has better PHD programs in my field of study). Which do u think would be a better place to complete my studies and then immigrate? Any advice or ideas? My field of studies is a PHD in finance. And i plan to work as a lecturer in colleges or universities after, or back to the financial sector but since i am already working as a lecturer after more than 10 yrs in the financial sector, i still prefer lecturing, which country, do u think is better for such a job, Canada or Australia?

Thanks if u have an idea.

ashish.uts

Feb 16, 2010
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys..its unfair to compare either of the countries on basis of any peculiar differences. Every coin has two sides!!

I did my Post Graduation studies in Sydney and found it an astonishing place. I never came across any racism. I returned to Delhi 5 years back and now planning to apply for Canada PR.

In my opinion Home is where the Heart is!!!

ruka

Apr 7, 2008
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10/02/2010 (old)
Doc's Request.
16/04/2010 (old)
AOR Received.
11/08/2010 (old)
File Transfer...
20/04/2010 (old)
Hi,

I applied for Oz skills assessment and got through . But after the recent attacks on indian students, I changed my mind and applied for Canada.

I believe, I need peace more than e' thing else and that's why I decided so. After all it's your personal choice.

cheers

ruka

moneycat

Jan 30, 2010
Re: Canada or Australia Migration - Racism Issue in Australia

I see a lot of people are worried about racism issue in Australia, here is what I can suggest as I have lived here for 20+ years (and moving to Canada soon).

Is there racism? Of coure there is, and it is everywhere in the world, it depends on how serious.

How Serious? Cronollua riot demonstrated how terrible racism can be, and it is shameful. I had been racially abused several times, but they were back in the 80s and 90s. Things have changed a lot since then.

Which city? Melbourne has history in racial attacks against Indians, Chinese and others, not really sure why. Sydney, most are related to Arabic community. Brisbane, some white communities are against any immigrants. Adelaide, I moved out because of the racism there, but it is improving.

Do you see it everyday: No, you don't. The society is very harmonious most of time. They are isolated incidents. You experience racism during job interviews sometimes, maybe over the phone, like some Aussie customer would say "give me someone who can speak English" to Indian call centres. But generally, it is peaceful society.

Avoid areas that are known to have racial problems if you intend to live in Australia: Usually these are blue-collar areas; or areas with a lot of pubs; racial problem usually occurs after alcohol. Avoid going to these areas as that's where "locals" hang out. Some pubs do not welcome "foreigners" as they find that's their "local place".

Racial problems in Australia also occur between ethnic communities, so beware of that as well.

Like Canada, Australia is a multi-cultural society, in Sydney, more than 40% of population were born overseas. Over the past 10 years in Sydney, I had only experienced racial abuse once in Sydney, which was much better than in the 80s when we lived in Adelaide.

rahban

Mar 16, 2012
charninder said:
Canada is definitely far away better than oz because after all, money is not everything that is why BCguy is right in saying that "there is long line for Canada Immigration". In so many ways Canada is far better, in Canada every resident is Canadian but that is not the case in Oz.

This is only my opinion, Sorry for my open-mindedness.
I have to agree with the above comment. In June 2011 I moved to Canada from Australia and I am pretty happy with my decision. After completing a masters degree in Australia & obtaining permanent residency there still I was unable to secure an entry level job in my profession despite decent marks & 5+ years of international experience. It took me a while before I realized that the main reason I can not establish a successful career there is due to discriminatory approach of recruitment among employers. You can clearly notice in day to day interactions that OZs do not appreciate 1st your accent and 2nd your efforts to contribute to their economy based on perception that new immigrants steal their jobs (something mentioned to me during an economic debate among professionals). I lived 3 years in OZ and during all that period I tried my best to establish at least a relevant career path but I had no success at all.

After 3 months of landing in Canada I had 3-4 interviews with government agencies and on 1st of Jan 12 secured a part time job with Federal Government. I love the way Canadians (from any race; Asian, white, dark or religion) offer a hand to help you establish successfully in your new home! I can not tell you how nice it is to work in a work environment where you will have colleagues from China, India, Iran, Germany, France, Spain, Maxico, USA & the list goes on.... Basically you appreciate globalization! Now I know that I should have done a comprehensive research before investing on my career in OZ. Trust me if you secure relevant qualifications in Canada you have way higher chances of getting a relevant job despite economic downturns compared to such effort in booming OZ economy.

I also want to mention that you will also find many OZs who are lovely individuals & have big hearts but unfortunately they are outnumbered. I miss some of my OZ friends, BBQs, wines, natural landscape and very low auto insurance premiums.

By the way above is just my experience but we all know that people are different in all ways so you might face totally adverse situation. Maybe I was not a good fit for OZ! so I suggest everywhere you go please commit yourself to integration and work hard for the best!

Wish you all success!