+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Explained

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
So Salman how are you able to withdraw from this US dollar account and convert to Canadian dollars? And if you've still not done it, what will you do in the future insha Allah when required?

I am asking this question because one of my acquaintances migrated to Canada from the UAE. He was an HSBC customer here and decided to bank with HSBC in Canada as well (I think you can export your credit history). At that time, he was not planning to move immediately and so the bank advisor told him to open a US dollar account as he could easily transfer US dollars from the UAE. Unfortunately I could not ask him about how he converted the money to Canadian dollars.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
So Salman how are you able to withdraw from this US dollar account and convert to Canadian dollars? And if you've still not done it, what will you do in the future insha Allah when required?

Left for Salman.Although, I guess from bank itself or from any exchange house if wanna save few cents.

I am asking this question because one of my acquaintances migrated to Canada from the UAE. He was an HSBC customer here and decided to bank with HSBC in Canada as well (I think you can export your credit history). At that time, he was not planning to move immediately and so the bank advisor told him to open a US dollar account as he could easily transfer US dollars from the UAE. Unfortunately I could not ask him about how he converted the money to Canadian dollars.

Credit history are never exported.It is unique to each country & not to bank. You have to make one by using credit card provided by local banks be its just of $1,000 limit . HSBC really sucks in UAE & if he is still banking with HSBC then it means he is High networth Individual. HSBC generally speaking is bank for millionaires .

Opening a bank account is damn easy so it should not has to be a big task that you have to think much about it. Its less hassle free & easier than doing a grocery in Canada for new immigrants.

YOu can open US dollar account in any local bank . Infact you SHOULD open in local bank so that you can withdraw US dollar from any branch easliy rather than looking to find where HSBC is.

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Transferred to London from Islamabad
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-1-15 PP received on 21-1-15

You can convert online, by phone, or at the bank. The problem is you will never get the international exchange rate. As i told you it will be 4 cents less than xe.com.
I am running a parallel account of CAD where my pay stub comes in and daily expenditure is done. I have TD all inclusive banking plan.

Previous credit history is of no use here. All banks ask for Canadian credit history.

escapehere

Mar 17, 2015
jaleelpp said:
Dear Salman,

Regarding banking, I have read the following a few years back written by a reputable member on Canadavisa:

"As I had discussed earlier [on a separate thread], plz be on the know that we can 'open' a Canadian Bank's a/c -right from here... in Dubai.

I know many International Banks also have this facility, like HSBC, RBS, StanChart etc. But, those banks are better 'avoided'. Why? 'Coz, due to their enormous charges, low interest rates & poor presence in Canada.

I suggest, go for 'SCOTIABANK'. Why?
1. Huge presence in Canada. [with ATMs even in small towns]

Regards/Jaleel
Just a FYI.... a "huge presence" depends on where you live. ScotiaBank don't have a big presence in Quebec, for example. If you settle in Montreal, you'll have a much easier time finding Bank of Montreal branches (surprise huh?).

Almost all the big banks have "Welcome to Canada" packages for new immigrants with similar features which are usually free for the first year. Pick a bank that is near your home or work, that is easy to get to. After a year, once you are settled, you can re-evaluate your banking needs and choose a bank that best fits your need.

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
Salman you mentioned that you got the money that you spent at Humber college back. Can you provide more details about it? Do other colleges and universities in Ontario offer the same?

Nrsing3152

May 21, 2014
]
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salmanahm said:

You can convert online, by phone, or at the bank. The problem is you will never get the international exchange rate. As i told you it will be 4 cents less than xe.com.
I am running a parallel account of CAD where my pay stub comes in and daily expenditure is done. I have TD all inclusive banking plan.

Previous credit history is of no use here. All banks ask for Canadian credit history.
Hi
your posts are very informative and based on the facts......
so +1 for you buddy...
I reside in malton but deciding to move to calgary for better options.....
Could you please help me about it means "is calgary a good option than GTA" ??

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
mystique9999 said:
Salman you mentioned that you got the money that you spent at Humber college back. Can you provide more details about it? Do other colleges and universities in Ontario offer the same?
That's only for bursaries. Bridging programs offer bursaries for new immigrants. That depends upon ur household income. If ur income is less there is form for reimbursement which is to be filled online. First of all u have to pay the fee then u will get ur student account number and password. From there u can fill a form for bursaries.
Regards
Sslman

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nrsing3152 said:
Hi
your posts are very informative and based on the facts......
so +1 for you buddy...
I reside in malton but deciding to move to calgary for better options.....
Could you please help me about it means "is calgary a good option than GTA" ??
If u have a ready option there then don't wait. If u don't then start sending resumes online. Check how many replies u get. What I have heard on radio and other ppl that western provinces are not in a good shape due to falling oil prices

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
You mentioned that you took some certifications as follows:

WHIMIS
OHSA
First aid
CPR

Can you please clarify how you took these certs and how much did they cost? Can they be earned online?

And how are you planning to get Allen Bradley PLC certification?

Newbie2016

Feb 15, 2016
Hi Everyone

This question may have been answered before, but wanted to know if bank statements are considered as acceptable proof of funds on landing?

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
mystique9999 said:
You mentioned that you took some certifications as follows:

WHIMIS
OHSA
First aid
CPR

Can you please clarify how you took these certs and how much did they cost? Can they be earned online?

And how are you planning to get Allen Bradley PLC certification?
Don't waste money for WHIMIS and OHSA. Its employer responsibility. But if you work with a small business owner than he will not pay you for these certifications. I got both of these from Bell.
First aid and CPR costs $250 with security guard training.
Fall arrest training costs $200
Boom lift and scissor lift costs $500.
Visit Allen Bradley rockwell automation website for two types of training. Programmer and troubleshooting. I opted for programmer training.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
100% no , if its from 3rd World Country

Possible yes , if its from 1st world country

Newbie2016 said:
Hi Everyone

This question may have been answered before, but wanted to know if bank statements are considered as acceptable proof of funds on landing?

th1nk1n

Jan 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2015
LANDED..........
01-06-2016
Hi, Great post !

Very informative and helpful..

My questions:
1. How helpful is it to do certifications beforehand from your home country ? (even good ones like PMP/ITIL)
2. Does it matter to do Excel/ word/ MS office certifications from your home country for temp jobs in Canada ?
3. If one doesn't have job xp in Canada then what is the way to get a good job in any business field ( meaning: what is considered then by the employers ?)
4: If there is a dearth of jobs in Canada due to oil crisis, would it affect other services as well and would it be prudent to shift to a big city or small town?