+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Explained

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
mystique9999 said:
One of my friends opened a US dollar account with HSBC. Do you have any idea if it's better to withdraw such money from an ATM (i.e. the US dollars will be converted to Canadian dollars as per the bank's exchange rate) or withdraw US dollars from the teller and then go get them converted to Canadian dollars at a money exchange house?
Salman bro can you pls respond to my previous post if you can.

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Transferred to London from Islamabad
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-1-15 PP received on 21-1-15
if you get Canadian money from an ATM the exchange rate will be interbank (4 cents less than xe.com) plus bank fees on every transaction. I dont recommend that.
Money exchange here is also very costly. I went to money mart with US $ cash. They offered me international rates but charged $2 administrative fee for $100.
CROOKS
So the solution is get whatever you need from your home country in the right curremcy in the form of demand drafts and cash mixed as I explained earlier.

I have tried many times to get the
mystique9999 said:
Salman bro can you pls respond to my previous post if you can.

amayra

Star Member
May 6, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2014
Nomination.....
04-09-2014
IELTS Request
Already submitted
Med's Request
self : 12-11-2014, spouse & baby : 27-08-2015 Re- medical : 22-10-2015
Med's Done....
22-10-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2015
LANDED..........
23rd march 2016
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/updating-linkedin-will-help-you-get-a-job-before-landing-t391460.0.html

A real booster story by fellow forumite.
If ur in IT there are chances of you getting job before landing. Never loose hope.. ;)

vivekrattan

May 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4TH SEPT 2014
AOR Received.
SLU ON 2nd MARCH 2015
IELTS Request
sent with file
Med's Request
1st oct, 2015
Med's Done....
14th Oct, 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
9th Nov,2015
VISA ISSUED...
20th Nov, 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in April, 2016
hi everyone
As my timeline shows i m planning to land in Toronto in April, can u suggest me which place should i look forward to settle down in Toronto and what about the funds which are to be taken along i.e. in which form? and is there any limit regarding funds on higher side? and do we have to explain our funds to indian side of immigration also?
please help
thanx

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Best place to live is where u have some refrence feom back home. If u dont have a reference than choose a hotel or a guest house like safehomestay.

Regarding funds you can bring a mix of cash and demand drafts of Canadian and US dollars. I brought CAD in cash and USD demand drafts.

please read below.

. My advice to newcomers. In order to avoid double exchange rate and declining value of Canadian dollar anticipate that how much Canadian money you need to settle down. Either you plan to go for certification first or start an odd job to save the settlement funds. Anyway right away you will need about Canadian $13,000~14,000 to buy a car and startup expenditure. Get this in CAD and the remaining settlement funds in USD. To give an idea of Open market and interbank rates of USD and CAD here is a calculation based on today’s rate.
1 USD = 1.316 CAD (xe.com)
TD banks is offering
1USD = 1.286 CAD
So that means if you exchange 1000 USD you will get 1286 CAD instead of 1316. This $30 difference is a huge amount for a new immigrant.
Another Calculation is
Value of USD in April was 1.240 CAD and now it is 1.316. I did a wise decision of not exchanging all the money and you can see that there is a devaluation of CA $76 per each of the US $1000. One of my friend exchanged 20,000 USD into CAD and suffered a loss of 1520CAD in just 6 months. I hope you got my point.

There is no limit of funds on higher side but if you bring in more than $10000 you have to declare it. Similarly at the Indian airports there must be a limit of Cash which i dont know. You can bring international DD of any amount.

quote author=vivekrattan link=topic=370811.msg4923177#msg4923177 date=1453432934]
hi everyone
As my timeline shows i m planning to land in Toronto in April, can u suggest me which place should i look forward to settle down in Toronto and what about the funds which are to be taken along i.e. in which form? and is there any limit regarding funds on higher side? and do we have to explain our funds to indian side of immigration also?
please help
thanx
[/quote]

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi Salmanahm,

Good day. Really thanks a lot and appreciate for all of your information. I would like to get some ideas from you.

I am a Electrical Engineer and working experience 11 years at Singapore. My highest qualification is M.Sc (Electrical Engineering) from one of the university from Washington Accord Lists. As I already done my short landing at Vancouver and I already got my PR cards. I am planning to land permanently around April, 2016.

Currently, I already registered with APEGBC (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC) and they waive all academic exams for P.Eng (Electrical Engineer). I am going to take my Practice Exam (Electrical Engineer) around Sept 2016. But I don't have Canada experience 1 year, I need to work 1 year under P.Eng to become P.Eng.

During this 1 year, I am worry to find job at Vancouver, so I am planning to take Industrial Electrician (NOC-7242) with ITA (Red Seal Certificate) and last week I already sent my challenge application for Electrician Industrial and now waiting to accept by ITA for REDSEAL , Electrician (Industrial).

Please see my questions as per below.

1) Do you think will ITA accept my challenge application for Electrician (Industrial)? as my application for P.Eng is half way now? I saw somebody saying that under P.Eng application with Regulatory body, they will not allow for Red seal?

2) If they accept, How do you prepare for the redseal exam? If you have any previous exam questions or study materials, can you please send it to my email my email: myatthusoe80@gmail.com?

3) If you have study materials, please share with me (my email: myatthusoe80@gmail.com and singapore mobile is +65-96928006) and thanks a lot. I am now studying as per below reference materials from ITA. Do you think correct study materials? As I read from your post, you attended bridging program before red seal exam. For red seal exam is 100 MCQs and 3 hours? Can I bring one A4 paper to write down all the formulas or if cannot, there are too many to memorize it. Please advice. As Calculator cannot bring own one, do you practice with similar calculator?

Required Textbooks: ALL LEVELS
(i) CANADIAN ELECTRICAL CODE HANDBOOK PART 1: AN EXPLANATION OF THE RULES OF THE CE CODE by the Canadian Standards Association
(ii) TECHNICIAN’S GUIDE TO PROGRAMMABLE CONTROLLERS By Richard A. Cox and Terry Borden, Thomson Delmar Learning .......................... ISBN13: 978‐1401890070

Recommended Textbooks: ALL LEVELS
(iii) AC FUNDAMENTALS by Duff and Herman, Delmar Publishers .................................................................................................. ISBN 0‐8273‐6527‐6
(iv) DC FUNDAMENTALS by Loper and Tedson, Delmar Publishers ................................................................................................. ISBN 0‐8273‐6572‐1
(v) ELECTRIC MOTOR REPAIR, 3rd EDITION by Robert Rosenburg and August Hand, Delmar Publishers ............................................... ISBN 0‐0305‐9584‐3
(vi) UGLY'S ELECTRICAL REFERENCES 2005 by George Hart , Burleson Distributing Corp ................................................................... ISBN13: 9780962322976, ISBN10: 0962322970

Thanks alot for your help, all the information and waiting for your reply. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Myat

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi salmanahm,

I think your degree is from one of the uni from Washington Accord, they only waive for Academic Assessment only. According to APEGBC (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC), You still need to take Professional Practice Examination (PPE), Competency Experience Reporting System, Law and Ethics Seminars and 1 year canadian experience . Then your P.Eng (Electrical) is complete. Hope this helpful. Thanks.

Myat

salmanahm said:
I know that 4 indian universities are accredited by Washington accord. If you graduated from one of those you will be exempted from professional practice exam in engineering. Just pay them money and get your engineering license. If not then it depends on what kind of experience you have. Power generation, HV, MV, LV installations, conductor sizing, machine control PLC HMI, welcome to red seal club.

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Hi Myat
My expertise are limited to Ontario. I think that trade certification requirements have nothing to do with Professional Engineering. A lot of engineers hold both licenses and job prospects of hands on professional engineers are better than just licensed engineers.
I have 3 memberships
Ontario College of Trades
Ontario college of certified engineering technicians and technologists
And
Professional engineers of Ontario.

Study material for red seal exam is what apprentices study in 5 years. If you go for everything its a lot lot of study. I recommend only these books
1 CSA code book. 2012 if you plan to write within 2016 otherwise get 2015. Its almost the same but some sections are revised.
2 CSA preparation guide section ABCDEF.
3 You will need simplified code book explanation as well to understand the code if someone else is not there to help you.
I attended the bridging program and the instructors there helped me understand the code. There must have been one in BC. Time for exam is 4 hours 100 MCQ. You not only have to memorize formulae but also the rules or at least section numbers of the rules. They give you codebook in the exam but there is no time to scan it for every question.
I have the study material but it is in hard copies Including 400 question bank. Whatever i have in soft i will share with you.
Regards
Salman

myat said:
Hi Salmanahm,

Good day. Really thanks a lot and appreciate for all of your information. I would like to get some ideas from you.

I am a Electrical Engineer and working experience 11 years at Singapore. My highest qualification is M.Sc (Electrical Engineering) from one of the university from Washington Accord Lists. As I already done my short landing at Vancouver and I already got my PR cards. I am planning to land permanently around April, 2016.

Currently, I already registered with APEGBC (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC) and they waive all academic exams for P.Eng (Electrical Engineer). I am going to take my Practice Exam (Electrical Engineer) around Sept 2016. But I don't have Canada experience 1 year, I need to work 1 year under P.Eng to become P.Eng.

During this 1 year, I am worry to find job at Vancouver, so I am planning to take Industrial Electrician (NOC-7242) with ITA (Red Seal Certificate) and last week I already sent my challenge application for Electrician Industrial and now waiting to accept by ITA for REDSEAL , Electrician (Industrial).

Please see my questions as per below.

1) Do you think will ITA accept my challenge application for Electrician (Industrial)? as my application for P.Eng is half way now? I saw somebody saying that under P.Eng application with Regulatory body, they will not allow for Red seal?

2) If they accept, How do you prepare for the redseal exam? If you have any previous exam questions or study materials, can you please send it to my email my email: myatthusoe80@gmail.com?

3) If you have study materials, please share with me (my email: myatthusoe80@gmail.com and singapore mobile is +65-96928006) and thanks a lot. I am now studying as per below reference materials from ITA. Do you think correct study materials? As I read from your post, you attended bridging program before red seal exam. For red seal exam is 100 MCQs and 3 hours? Can I bring one A4 paper to write down all the formulas or if cannot, there are too many to memorize it. Please advice. As Calculator cannot bring own one, do you practice with similar calculator?

Required Textbooks: ALL LEVELS
(i) CANADIAN ELECTRICAL CODE HANDBOOK PART 1: AN EXPLANATION OF THE RULES OF THE CE CODE by the Canadian Standards Association
(ii) TECHNICIAN’S GUIDE TO PROGRAMMABLE CONTROLLERS By Richard A. Cox and Terry Borden, Thomson Delmar Learning .......................... ISBN13: 978‐1401890070

Recommended Textbooks: ALL LEVELS
(iii) AC FUNDAMENTALS by Duff and Herman, Delmar Publishers .................................................................................................. ISBN 0‐8273‐6527‐6
(iv) DC FUNDAMENTALS by Loper and Tedson, Delmar Publishers ................................................................................................. ISBN 0‐8273‐6572‐1
(v) ELECTRIC MOTOR REPAIR, 3rd EDITION by Robert Rosenburg and August Hand, Delmar Publishers ............................................... ISBN 0‐0305‐9584‐3
(vi) UGLY'S ELECTRICAL REFERENCES 2005 by George Hart , Burleson Distributing Corp ................................................................... ISBN13: 9780962322976, ISBN10: 0962322970

Thanks alot for your help, all the information and waiting for your reply. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Myat

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Actually there is no requirement of Canadian experience for a license in Ontario. Acedemic assessment is the real problem. Its like doing your engineering all over again. With a Washington accord accredited degree you have to be aware of provincial regulations and code of ethics. Thats a simple exam.
Regards
Salman
myat said:
Hi salmanahm,

I think your degree is from one of the uni from Washington Accord, they only waive for Academic Assessment only. According to APEGBC (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC), You still need to take Professional Practice Examination (PPE), Competency Experience Reporting System, Law and Ethics Seminars and 1 year canadian experience . Then your P.Eng (Electrical) is complete. Hope this helpful. Thanks.

Myat

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi salmanham,

Good day. Very well appreciate and thanks a lot for all the information and study materials share with me. Please see some of my questions as per below.

1) in your item (3), you mean somebody need to explain to me ow this code explanation work ? If I study myself, what you mean is may be difficult to understand if I self study?

2) if I no need to memorise all the formulae mean can check from the code book which they provide during exam? And how do you practice for calculator as own calculator can't bring inside.

3)you have hard copies study material including 400 questions bank, you think useful? If yes, may be Can I buy from online ? Any front page photo?

4) do you think it is good enough to take reddest exam, if I only study black A,B,C,D,E,F and 2012 CSA code book? When your time, you only study that materials? By the way, I will take Red seal exam during 2016, so I can use 2012 CSA code book. How long did you prepare for your red seal exam? Really thanks a lot for your study materials.

5) for P.Eng (Electrical) exam, I am going to take for PPE (code and ethics) exam, do you have any previous exam questions and answers as you are already P.Eng from Ontario. Lucky, APEGBC waives all my academic assessment.

Thanks for all of your information and help again.

Best Regards,
Myat

salmanahm said:
Hi Myat
My expertise are limited to Ontario. I think that trade certification requirements have nothing to do with Professional Engineering. A lot of engineers hold both licenses and job prospects of hands on professional engineers are better than just licensed engineers.
I have 3 memberships
Ontario College of Trades
Ontario college of certified engineering technicians and technologists
And
Professional engineers of Ontario.

Study material for red seal exam is what apprentices study in 5 years. If you go for everything its a lot lot of study. I recommend only these books
1 CSA code book. 2012 if you plan to write within 2016 otherwise get 2015. Its almost the same but some sections are revised.
2 CSA preparation guide section ABCDEF.
3 You will need simplified code book explanation as well to understand the code if someone else is not there to help you.
I attended the bridging program and the instructors there helped me understand the code. There must have been one in BC. Time for exam is 4 hours 100 MCQ. You not only have to memorize formulae but also the rules or at least section numbers of the rules. They give you codebook in the exam but there is no time to scan it for every question.
I have the study material but it is in hard copies Including 400 question bank. Whatever i have in soft i will share with you.
Regards
Salman

jaleelpp

Mar 23, 2010
Dear Salman,

Regarding banking, I have read the following a few years back written by a reputable member on Canadavisa:

"As I had discussed earlier [on a separate thread], plz be on the know that we can 'open' a Canadian Bank's a/c -right from here... in Dubai.

I know many International Banks also have this facility, like HSBC, RBS, StanChart etc. But, those banks are better 'avoided'. Why? 'Coz, due to their enormous charges, low interest rates & poor presence in Canada.

I suggest, go for 'SCOTIABANK'. Why?
1. Huge presence in Canada. [with ATMs even in small towns]
2. Zero charges for 1 yr. [Free 1yr a/c].
3. Free Cheque book for a yr.
4. Free remittances for a yr.
5. Free 'Locker' for a yr.
6. Free Credit Card [deposit inked, Limited] for a yr.
7. Has a 'tailored-made' a/c for New Immigrants. [the 'Start Right' program]
8. All info startright.scotiabank.com
9. Only 2 other banks have such presence, TD Bank & CIBC. [but, not in Dubai] "

Do you know anything about this?

Regards/Jaleel

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
i opened bank account in TD, CIBC & RBC.. All provide almost same service... with the exception of CIBC which give one year free account for new immigrants .Others give 6 months

I find it irrelevant as every pay by using card right down to taxi driver, barber, Paan shop etc (Thats in mississauga). As a matter of fact they hate cash because then cashier has to do "WORK" as you never give your card to cashier. All card swapping machines are at customer end.

Only CIBC.May be scotia too..Other six months

Every back charges $15 inward remittance. IF you remite from Dubai to bank account you will be charged AED 60 from Ansari exchange too .My experience

If available

Every bank give $1,000 unsecured credit limit which is not linked to your balance

Noting mind boggling infact nothing tailor about it .All give that

It doesn't matter where the bank is if you are an avid online bank user.

Opening bank account is a pleasant experience in canada. They give you undue respect despite you are not putting a penny in it. Spare one hour for that.

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
in addition to all the answers given by Canada11 I don't recommend opening a bank account from abroad. My lawyers also sent me offer from NBC but i didn't. There is no advantage.

In most of the bank branches in GTA lockers are not available. They will simply excuse.

Interest rates for keeping an amount in Saving account is great. I get an awesome amount of 30 cents monthly for keeping $15000 US in a saving account. The statement fee and other charges are more than the interest.

jaleelpp said:
Dear Salman,

Regarding banking, I have read the following a few years back written by a reputable member on Canadavisa:

"As I had discussed earlier [on a separate thread], plz be on the know that we can 'open' a Canadian Bank's a/c -right from here... in Dubai.

I know many International Banks also have this facility, like HSBC, RBS, StanChart etc. But, those banks are better 'avoided'. Why? 'Coz, due to their enormous charges, low interest rates & poor presence in Canada.

8. All info startright.scotiabank.com

Do you know anything about this?

Regards/Jaleel

managersonline

Champion Member
Oct 18, 2014
salmanahm said:
in addition to all the answers given by Canada11 I don't recommend opening a bank account from abroad. My lawyers also sent me offer from NBC but i didn't. There is no advantage.

In most of the bank branches in GTA lockers are not available. They will simply excuse.

Interest rates for keeping an amount in Saving account is great. I get an awesome amount of 30 cents monthly for keeping $15000 US in a saving account. The statement fee and other charges are more than the interest.
What do you mean 30cents monthly??? Could not understand? 30cents monthly on USD15000 !!!!
Could you shed more light on this number?

salmanahm

Oct 9, 2009
Islamabad Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4131-0911-9216
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
1 Jan 2010
Nomination.....
4th may 2010
AOR Received.
18th Aug 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Here is a copy paste of my bank statement for Nov and Dec 2015. I have 10 grands US in a saving account.

PAY BILL TRANSFER DEPOSIT
THU, DECEMBER 31, 2015
ACCT BAL REBATE $4.95
MONTHLY ACCOUNT FEE -$4.95
INTEREST CREDIT $0.13
MON, DECEMBER 21, 2015
LQ402 TFR-TO 6395574 -$1,100.43
MON, NOVEMBER 30, 2015
ACCT BAL REBATE $4.95
MONTHLY ACCOUNT FEE -$4.95
INTEREST CREDIT $0.13
BORDERLESS PLAN

So if I keep $5000 or more my account fee is rebated.
Interest is 13 cents US monthly.
Probably this explains all the rumors that Canadian banks give huge interest rates for money in bank.
Anyway
I like that and its a good thing that you cant earn by dowery which is not allowed in our religion.
RESP and retirement savings plans are something else.

managersonline said:
What do you mean 30cents monthly??? Could not understand? 30cents monthly on USD15000 !!!!
Could you shed more light on this number?