+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we get married in Mexico then go to Canada?

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
we dont have that much stuff and remember, im the canadian one!!! well we may try to do that with them not knowing we are married... hopefully that doesnt have a negative impact on our application if they say why did we not inform them we were married oh well we can say we didn't know we had to.

if we applied outland how could i have any proof im going back.... if we dont know when he'll get the PR how could we already have an apartment or already have a job.... we'll find an apt like a month or 2 before we go over the internet...how long would it take outland?

or we could just get married in canada but mexico just seems so much nicer plus we have already researched all what we need to do it there. what is the difference, what would we need to do it in canada?

ok that should be all the questions for today.

I

iarblue

Well if you apply outland to prove your going to re establish yourself in Canada,the best thing to do is get a letter from who ever you are going to stay with up here while you are setting up in Canada,a friend ,realitives.Then you can resaearch some apts.online and ask if they could email,or fax you some aps,you dont need to fill them in it just shows your researching,same as jobs apply online and copy the resume to show you have applied to jobs up here,even if they dont employ you it shows your trying.
Now getting married outland is good,Start your PR ap now just as if you were married,get it all ready a few days after your marriage send it to mississauga.
Then when your ready head to the Canadian border,when you get their tell immigration your spouse wants to stay with you while His PR is in progress.Tehn show him the paperwork for the PR before he asks.
So for example i would go to the booth he is going to say what is your citizenship,tell them your Canadian and your spouse is what ever he is.(US) Then he is going to say what is the nature of your Stay you tell him You are Canadian and your spouse id american and you are doing the PR process and it is in Mississauga(hand him the documents then).He may not take them or he may...Then say we understand that the visit visa is only good for as long as he gives it to you.Max 6 months,and tell him you are aware if the PR process is not close to being done before the expire of his visa visit that you understand he willl have to extend or leave.
Then he will make his decision to send you on your way or send you inside .If you have to go inside tell them the exact same thing.
Now the big thing is,make sure you know where your going who you will be staying with,Friend,family,etc.Make sure you have their full address with you and a phone number sometimes immigration likes to call to verify.
Then they will tell you.If you can go or your spouse has to stay in the US if that happens then you can make your decision what you want to do then.Hopefully this wont happen.

I

iarblue

You can apply for his visitors visa and then apply for your PR.The only thing you are going to be worried about is the visa.He has to prove when he is applying that he has ties to Mexico that would bring him back there after his visit.Even though you may apply for an extension they still need the assurance that he would leave if the extension was refused.

miljay

Dec 17, 2009
I married my Mexican husband last April in Mexico. He is just now at the end of the Immigration process. We were advised by Canada Immigration not to have him come visit while being sponsored as he would likely be turned away, and they probably wouldn't even give him the tourist visa. But you never know, i wish you luck and just hang in there!

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well he doesnt have any ties that would bring him back to mexico... now i feel like he wont get the visa.... ughhh..... maybe we will have to do it outland instead.... but i dont know how to prove im going to canada....can anyone tell me how long it would take outland from the time they recieve the application *usually*????

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It takes an average of 6 to 14 months for a spousal sponsorsip to be processed in Mexico City, plus a month or two for the sponsorship approval, etc., in Canada.

girlfromthenorthcountry said:
well we may try to do that with them not knowing we are married... hopefully that doesnt have a negative impact on our application if they say why did we not inform them we were married oh well we can say we didn't know we had to.
Don't expect the explanation "we didn't know we had to" to ever work with Immigration. For something minor, they might accept it, but there are a lot of Canadians whose spouse and/or children are unable to come to Canada, ever, because they weren't included on the original sponsorship forms or weren't declared on lnading. Later, when the Canadian tries to get them in, saying "but I didn't know I had to tell Immigration" they are always refused, and the appeal virtually never succeeds.

ashleighash

Star Member
May 16, 2010
Costa Rica
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatamala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's so complicated to weed out the BAD seeds that do not want to go through all the trials and tribulations of getting your Loved one into such a wonderful and amazing country !! Dont worry, your work will be well worth it !!

superman4utoo

Mar 29, 2011
Hm Hello Im Mexican My Girlfriend From Canada, How Can She Marry Me In Mexico And The How Can She Bring Me To Canada??? We Both Wana Go Live In Canada, But I Cant Go To Canada, Cus Im Living Here
In The Usa, What Im Pallning To Do Is Going Back To Mexico Then When She Comes To mexico To Marry Me
There, But Idk How Or What to Do For Me To Be Able To Go To Live To Canada With Her.

She Visit me Sometimes Here in The USa But Now We Wana get Marry And Live In Canada Pls Help Me!!! :(

AlieW

Star Member
Aug 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv. Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2011
Doc's Request.
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
14-02-2011
File Transfer...
08-02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
girlfromthenorthcountry said:
but i dont know how to prove im going to canada....
Honestly - don't stress about this part - i think it's the least of your worries. We are applying outland and I'm currently living with my partner in his country while we wait for his PR.

On the IMM form they have a 'list' of evidence of your intent to return - given the uncertenty of the time line for the partners PR the list is challenging - however there is an 'Others' section. I don't know what your status is in Mexico but I would include the following as proof of intent to return.

Active Canadian Bank Accounts
Letter from parent or friend stating they know you are coming back and that you can stay with them/they will support you while you get started
Evidence of Savings
Evidence that you are searching for a job (correspondence with potential empolyers as well as accounts in job forums)
Proof your are looking for an apt/house
If you have an RRSP or tax free savings account - proof of that
A letter outlining your plan to return to Canada.
If you are interested in going back to school then applications or correspondence regarding that.

If you dig around on these forum there are several threads devoted specifically to this topic - people have some good ideas.

However - if you are admitted to Mexico as a vistor/tourist - then it would follow that you are 'living' in Canada and just visiting your spouse - so you may not have to provide proof of intent to return.
A more senior member may be able to clarify this - i think on the form it says that you need to fill this in only if you are living exclusivly outisde of Canada (however i don't know how 'exclusivly' is defined)