+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we get married in Mexico then go to Canada?

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.... I have a question... can we get married in Mexico, get it legalized etc to be recognized in Canada and then go to canada and the applicant on a visitors visa then once we are there apply for sponsorship? but would they give the visa seeing we are married?????

I

iarblue

not likely but its been known to happen go to immigration canada site and vist canada it will tell you the requirements but its not likely

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
then what can we do??? :( we want to get married in mexico....
i guess we have to apply while we are in mexico and show intent on coming to canada once its done?

I

iarblue

Well where are you both from whos from canada whos from mexico or where are you from

hoples

Mar 26, 2010
Visa Office......
mexico city
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
may 6 2010
AOR Received.
july 26 2010
File Transfer...
june 23 2010
i am mexican and my husband is canadien . we tried to do the same . when you are married with canadien citizen . you are not legible to apply fot temporary visa. you have to apply for a resident visa.
we got married in mexico city and applied outside canada three weeks ago.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well you have a few options:

1. Your husband stays in Mexico with you while your application is in process. He will need to submit proof of intent to re-establish himself in Canada e.g. submit plans of where you will live, where he will apply for work etc. A declaration from family members offering you financial support until you get yourselves settled is also good.

2. He returns to Canada and you stay in Mexico.

3. You apply for a tourist visa and return to Canada together. You are definitely eligible for a temporary visa, but you should be aware that you are not likely to be successful in getting one. Tourist visas are often denied when you have a spouse in Canada since with a TR you are expected to leave at the end of your visa. With a spouse in Canada, it will be hard to show that you really intend to return to Mexico.

As far as getting your marriage "legalized", that isn't necessary. If you are legally married in Mexico, you are legally married for CIC's purposes. You don't need to do anything further, though of course you will need to submit a copy of your marriage certificate with your application.

Good luck.

I

iarblue

If you stay in Mexico while your process is being approved he does not need to re establish as long as you dont stay in Mexico for years lol.You can apply for the visitors visa nobody knows if you will get it but the chances are very low.
How long has your husband been in Mexico with you.And if it is not a problem to you apply outland and wait for the process.What is your local embassy as timelines in Mexico are crazy between cities.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iarblue said:
If you stay in Mexico while your process is being approved he does not need to re establish as long as you dont stay in Mexico for years lol.You can apply for the visitors visa nobody knows if you will get it but the chances are very low.
How long has your husband been in Mexico with you.And if it is not a problem to you apply outland and wait for the process.What is your local embassy as timelines in Mexico are crazy between cities.
There is only one visa office in Mexico which is in Mexico City. All visas are processed through that office. The processing time for spousal applicants through Mexico City is 6-14 months. So if your husband is planning to spend the time with you in Mexico you WILL need to submit proof of his plans to re-establish himself in Canada. See question 11 of the Sponsor Questionnaire where you're asked: Are you living in Canada? Yes or No? Then if the answer is no, you're asked to include the date of your return to Canada as well as proof of your intent to re-establish yourself in Canada, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5540E.PDF Your spouse will need to satisfy immigration officials that he intends to return to Canada once you get your PR.

Please note: Your husband can ONLY sponsor you from outside of Canada (i.e. live with you in Mexico) if he is a Canadian citizen. If he is a PR, he must live in Canada while your application is in process. I thought you said that he was a citizen but then I realized that it was hoples who said that their spouse was a citizen.

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am actually the Canadian one... but I thought of something... what if he applies for the temporary visa and gets it BEFORE we get married? Like he applies gets it in August and we get married in September... they wouldn't even know and they would have already given it to him...

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
and why is this so complicated? if it isn't allowed that way then how does everyone else do it inland???? i dont get it. ughhh :(

I

iarblue

Dont matter when you get married just be aware that you have to notify them,when your status changes.while your in process.But if he gets the visitors visa before you marry well then applies as married when he applies.

Mar 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK so what if he applies for the visitor visa and we say the dates we are going to canada is october 13 or something. so they say ok and give him the visitor visa and we are ready to go to canada in october and he has the visa and everything.
then in september we get married... but he already has the visa so they cant take it away can they.
we have to notify someone of that? or can we just go to canada and then apply for the sponsorship inland?

I

iarblue

Well they apply for a visitors visa and get approved.Then come and get married and apply inland.You can do the same.But some come from visa exempt countries and get into visit easier.
But it just depends on all what you do, then,now,after.
Like the couple that wants to get married in Mexico.I would get married apply for the PR take all your proof that you applied outland to buffalo.Then head to the border here with all your proof and ask if you could get a visitors card.
But if your just coming from the US to Canada do the same.But if your applying inland or want to then come to the border tell them you are applying for PR and like i say make sure you let immigration know, you are well aware of the visit laws

I

iarblue

Yes they are very unlikely to take it away as they will not know you maried.So if you are going to apply inland then get married and apply,one month before the visitors visa expires send in for an extension.And i heard you can actually send in the extension with the app and they will automatically extend it.
Then when you apply for PR you are spouses then.So apply accordingly.But you do not need to tell the visa office your married as the app and the extension will tell them so.

I

iarblue

But i wouldnt be so scared of it all.Go to Mexico get married.Then you can either apply for your PR process send it to mississauga and ask to be done outland via buffalo ,if thats the border close to where you will be in canada.
Then head to the border bring all your proof that you applied and like i say just let immigration know you are aware of the visit laws that you need to extend or leave.
What will you be bringing with you to the border all your personal belongings?Thats what gets people sometimes.Cause immigration wants to know why your bringing everything with you.
So i hope this helps more