+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can self employment be counted as work experience under FSW

benja

Mar 10, 2017
I'm in a similar situation. I wanted to ask if you have any new information or progress in your application?

rahulbajaj

Mar 7, 2017
No problem at all. I wish you all the best. Just one more note; it is important to be able to show that the money received at the bank was for the services as sales manager. CIC agents should clearly be able to link the two. Otherwise they may not be convinced. For example, let's say Company A made a wire transfer to your husband's bank account for his services. It would be ideal to have a reference letter from Company A. This way CIC agents looking into your file will see that Company A sent money + Company A gave a reference letter. Then they won't have any questions in their mind. And of course these transactions should be ongoing for the amount of time you claimed points for while creating your EE profile, and should be proven by a detailed bank statement.

Being a self-employed person myself, last year, my application was rejected due to this issue I mention above. I had 9 reference letters from my clients, and all of them declared since when and for how many hours I had been working for them, and how much they paid me in return for my services. But because I haven't submitted bank statements detailing every transaction for the last 6 years I claimed to be working, CIC rejected my application. They did not find client declaration convincing enough. This is something you should be very careful about.
---
Hi haznac, i am in similar situation. can you pl let me know:
1.did you reapply and if yes, what additional documents you submitted
2.what was the outcome of your 2nd application. pl share your experience

My situation is -
1.I am self employed Chartered Accountant
2.got reference letters from 8 clients describing my services and fee paid. Fee mentioned is as per bank statements and i will enclose copies of same.
3.i do not bill based on number of hours, its all on assignment basis. so my client have mentioned just the period of my services and not the number of hours i worked. hope this will not be an issue
4.some of my clients pay me in my personal account and some in business account. My business is a private limited company and i will be able to enclose Articles, tax returns, bank statements, lease agreement of business premises and invoice i sent to my clients.

Do you or other experienced members have any suggestions pl? Thank you very much

Sep 29, 2017
Hi all,

I have a query on employement documents to be submitted.
Let me explain my situation to you in more detail. I am a businessman. I have two companies on my name one partner (where other partners are my wife, my brother, and my brothers wife) and other company is my proprietory concern. Its manufacturing and trading of a furniture. I mean i have a retail store and a factory.
Its on papers since may 2015. I have all the papers like company pan ( of both partnership and proprietorship company), filed returns since last two years, GST documents, GST and ITR of both the concerns, and gumastha. But i dont have monthly salary credit in my bank account. Before may2015 also i was into business but it was on my brothers name. And since it was our own business i did'nt draw any monthly salary by cheque. You know how family business run in india.
So to sum up, i finished my PGMBA in 2009 and since then i have my own business. Its just that 2009 to 2015 on my brothers name and 2015 to till date, a partnership company and my proprietory concern, on my name as well. Line of business is same just company names have changed.
My question to experts or friends who have had a similar situation is how should i present my employment documents? Do they ask for ITRV or they also also for computation of income? And would they consider my employement for 3+ years and grant me points on this? Bcos with 3+ year employement my score reaches 416. I got CLB 9 so no chances of increasing score now. And with this score there are probable chances of getting an ITA.. please advise me on how do i present my employement documents? And what NOC code is advisable.
Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Hi all,
I have a query on employement documents to be submitted. I am a businessman. I have two companies on my name one partner (where other partners are my wife, my brother, and my brothers wife) and other company is my proprietory concern. Its manufacturing and trading of a furniture. I mean i have a retail store and a factory. Its on papers since may 2015. I have all the papers like company pan ( of both partnership and proprietorship company), filed returns since last two years, GST documents, GST and ITR of both the concerns, and gumastha. But i dont have monthly salary credit in my bank account. Before may2015 also i was into business but it was on my brothers name. And since it was our own business i did'nt draw any monthly salary by cheque. You know how family business run in india. So to sum up, i finished my PGeMBA in 2009 and since then i have my own business. Its just that 2009 to 2015 on my brothers name and 2015 to till date, a partnership company and my proprietory concern, on my name as well. Line of business is same just company names have changed. My question to experts is how should i present my employment documents? Do they ask for ITRV or they also also for computation of income? And would they consider my employement for 3+ years and grant me points on this? Bcos with 3+ year employement my score reaches 416. I got CLB 9 so no chances of increasing score now. And with this score there are probable chances of getting an ITA.. please experts advise me on how do i present my employement documents? And what NOC code is advisable. thanks in anticipation.
First off a kind suggestion, please start using paragraphs. Regarding whether your employment (self or not) will be considered as relevant experience according to CIC is solely upto them. No one here or anywhere can speak for CIC. But I believe you have all the relevant documents with you for the specific employment period. If you feel your case might be a bit complex, then connecting with an Immigration Lawyer might be the path ahead for you. Good luck.

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Hi, I have a language center and I am considered self employed for the EE application. How will a student of mine prove that I worked 10 hours a day 6 days a week for the business. Most students have lessons 2 or 3 hours a day. Another problem is that it is very difficult to convince the students to make payments in the bank as they are small payments and it is a burden. Can I take references from the teachers I employed, they have contracts and insurances paid.Can I also take references from the accounting company that does my bookings? Thank you a lot

ramoush

Oct 2, 2017
Hi,

I ran a small company for 2.5 years, I can provide financial audit, bank statement, client contracts, a sample of contractors invoices (because we had hundreds of them so I don't think having all of them is necessary given the financial audit?)

the client contracts clearly show the responsibility held by our company, but our contract sizes were on average $150k some of them were $500k - and we worked with so many clients, some of them are very large. Obtaining client references is going to be really really hard and will take forever, to get all these companies to submit the references as they will have to check with their finance teams and executives, etc.

Is client references an absolute must?

rad_mak

Star Member
Jul 11, 2017
Hi,

Can one freelance in case somebody doesn't get work after moving to Canada? Is freelancing legal if after showing job experiences you move with PR?

Emma234

Sep 13, 2017
Hi All

Please i need your help

was just reviewing the forms and saw i ticked one of my crucial work experiences as self employed

i worked for this company as contractor and got paid through invoices.

i attached all invoices and complete hr letter from the company confirming my duties, daily rate of pay, dates, name, job title etc

is there going to be a problem? company is well known in uk

please help. i ticked self employed but never had my own company. i dont have articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership. i never registered as business

i only submitted invoices for the period of employment which is 1.5 years and complete hr letter

thanks

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
This thread has given me hope. I was of the impression that since I did not have much experience working for an employer during the past 10 years, I wasn't eligible to apply for the Express Entry. Given that I have been self employed, I could show my experience of working in my business.

However this case might be a little more complex than I think it would be. I have been running a takeaway restaurant for the past few years and do everything from cooking to selling myself. I haven't employed anyone and I don't pay myself. I have been putting in about at least 60 hours a week in the business. All things are bought and sold from the business account with some cash involved too.

Now if I get a letter from about three clients saying that they have bought food from my takeaway business and attach the receipts for the transactions, will it suffice? The rest can be shown in bank statements, council rates and inspections from the health department. I am applying for the restaurant manager noc code 0631. Does it seem this will suffice?

Also another thing I was wondering what happens in the following example:

Someone worked part time for one year which gives him 6 months of full time experience. If the same person worked double time (60 hours each week), for two years, would that give him two years experience or 4 years since it is double time? Stupid question but it is important for me.
Someone please advise.