+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my wife (with PR & both parents deceased) sponsor her sister if we have a baby?

woodennickle

May 26, 2017
Hello everyone,

Can my Korean wife sponsor her sister to come to Canada? Both of her parents passed away when she was young, so her sister was her guardian.

People have told me no, because she has a spouse already in Canada, me. I'm Canadian. This doesn't seem to match what I have read about Parent and Grandparent Family Class however.

I then heard if we have a baby, then it is possible because the baby needs a next of kin if no grandparents. We will have a baby next year.

Any insight here?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hello everyone,

Can my Korean wife sponsor her sister to come to Canada? Both of her parents passed away when she was young, so her sister was her guardian.

People have told me no, because she has a spouse already in Canada, me. I'm Canadian. This doesn't seem to match what I have read about Parent and Grandparent Family Class however.

I then heard if we have a baby, then it is possible because the baby needs a next of kin if no grandparents. We will have a baby next year.

Any insight here?
How is parent and grandparent sponsorship related to sponsoring a sister? You're probably talking about the lonely canadian rule which doesnt apply here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Any insight here?
How old is her sister now?

woodennickle

May 26, 2017
How is parent and grandparent sponsorship related to sponsoring a sister? You're probably talking about the lonely canadian rule which doesnt apply here.
Because I understand if we have a baby, the baby would need a grandparent here. And because her parents passed when my wife was young, her guardian was her sister. In this case I heard that her sister could take the place of a parent or grandparent. Her only family left is her sister and brother in Korea. Is it not possible to sponsor her sister in any way?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Any insight here?
Looked at your old posts. Sounds like the sister is an adult (i.e. well above 18 years old). If that's the case, she cannot be sponsored.

I'm not sure how your question relates in any way to the parent / grandparent family class sponsorship program. The sister doesn't qualify to be sponsored under either of these. She is not a parent or grandparent to your wife. She is a sibling. Siblings do not qualify for independent sponsorship under the parent / grandparent program.

The only way she could possibly qualify to be sponsored is under the lonely Canadian rule which would require your wife to be single (which she isn't) and have no children.

Sister will have to qualify for PR on her own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Because I understand if we have a baby, the baby would need a grandparent here. And because her parents passed when my wife was young, her guardian was her sister. In this case I heard that her sister could take the place of a parent or grandparent. Her only family left is her sister and brother in Korea. Is it not possible to sponsor her sister in any way?
No - there is nothing in immigration law that states your baby needs a grandparent here. No - the sister cannot take the place of a grandparent.

Again no, sponsorship of your wife's sister is not possible.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
No, there is no such program which allows sisters or brothers to replace grandparents. She has to qualify on her own.