+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my in-laws sponsor me?

hannahmay

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am currently living in Canada on a student visa, married to a Canadian Citizen, about to apply for Spousal sponsorship. Unfortunately we have run into some money issues, and he may *possibly* have to declare bankruptcy. If so, from my current understanding that stops my husband from being able to sponsor me. His parents have offered to sponsor me instead, but is this possible? If so, through what form?

Thank you for any help given.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
You inlaws will not be able to sponsor you. However, I don't believe your husband declaring bankruptcy will disqualify him as a sponsor. The key thing is that he can't be on welfare.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
keesio said:
You inlaws will not be able to sponsor you. However, I don't believe your husband declaring bankruptcy will disqualify him as a sponsor. The key thing is that he can't be on welfare.
That's not true. You dont qualify to sponsor if you have been in bankruptcy and have not been released yet.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

did not meet the terms of a sponsorship agreement in the past,
did not pay alimony or child support even though a court ordered it,
get government financial help for reasons other than being disabled,
were convicted of
an offence of a sexual nature,
a violent crime,
an offence against a relative that resulted in bodily harm or
an attempt or threat to commit any such offences, depending on the details of the case, such as
the type of offence,
how long ago it occurred and
whether a record suspension was issued (see Sponsorship bar for violent crime below),
were sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner in the past and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago (see Five-year sponsorship bar below)
did not pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments,
are in prison or
have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
keesio said:
Actually bankruptcy is a big no-no as well for sponsor qualifying.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp
You may not be able to sponsor a relative if you:
-sponsored another relative in the past and did not meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement,
-are in default of alimony or child support payments,
-got government financial help for reasons other than being disabled,
-were convicted of a violent crime, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence, depending on details of the case
-did not pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments,
-are in prison, or
-have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Though if a sponsor is approved and app is sent on to outland visa office, and then the sponsor declares bankruptcy, I'm not sure what would happen in this case. Most likely the sponsor is expected to not declare bankruptcy until the applicant has been approved and landed as a PR.

OP, I would have your spouse look into a "consumer proposal" instead. Its a way to have all your debts resolved using the bankruptcy laws of Canada, but isn't declared as a bankruptcy.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
screech339 said:
That's not true. You dont qualify to sponsor if you have been in bankruptcy and have not been released yet.
oh... oops.

thanks screech and Rob for correcting my mistake!

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hannahmay said:
I am currently living in Canada on a student visa, married to a Canadian Citizen, about to apply for Spousal sponsorship. Unfortunately we have run into some money issues, and he may *possibly* have to declare bankruptcy. If so, from my current understanding that stops my husband from being able to sponsor me. His parents have offered to sponsor me instead, but is this possible? If so, through what form?

Thank you for any help given.
you holds study permit, then you will apply for PGWP sooner or later.

Then you might be eligible for another stream :EE, skilled work, CEC or PNP.

Good luck.

ullah6600

Aug 24, 2020
hello there
I have a query regarding student visa sponsor. Does My father in law sponsor for me in Canadian student visa from outside of Canada? It will be really appreciate if you reply me on the regarding issue.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
hello there
I have a query regarding student visa sponsor. Does My father in law sponsor for me in Canadian student visa from outside of Canada? It will be really appreciate if you reply me on the regarding issue.
This section is for Canadian PR or citizen to sponsor their family to become PR.

It's better to post your question at the international students section.

I do not know the terminology used for student visa application. But I think you mean that he will pay for your study?
You need to proof that you are a genuine student and will return to your home country after your study in Canada.