+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel and come back if I have valid status but finish the school?

DarkMann

Jan 27, 2014
Hey guys,

I am a masters student, recently I got my new study permit will expire at the end of November. But I will finish my study within one month and I have to travel on August. The question is can I travel and come back using the study permit? Or I have to apply on post graduate work permit.

Thanks a lot .

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Of course open work permit...

If you go out but come back you wont be allowed to enter at the port of entry since the officer will know you have graduated and will make no sense for him you coming back with out a work permit even after completing your degree.

You will be able to travel since you have a valid visa... but wont be able to stay

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello DarkMann,

Consider this:

1. Get a confirmation letter from your university stating that you have successfully graduated.
2. Ensure that you apply to attend your convocation ceremony at your designated university.
3. Pay fees for your regalia (keep receipts).

If you've already done the above, don't assume that you will be allowed to return to Canada. Therefore, to be on a safe side:

4. Apply for a TRV as quickly as possible. Why?

Because if you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (e.g. a valid SP or WP), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if:

1. You are a legally admitted student or foreign worker

2. You are in Canada with a Canadian residential address, and that
a) your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing visa counterfoil is expired or was valid for only one entry, and
b) you need a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.

The question is; is it worth it to leave Canada before your convocation?

DarkMann

Jan 27, 2014
Thanks a lot Jubear.

I am sorry I confused a little bit.

Now I am doing master and my defence will be within one month. And i have to travel on August (before the convocation). My study permit valid till the end of Novmber,and I will apply on TRV next week. As you know the postgraduate work permit take at least 2 months in these days this is a problem.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I am assuming you programs thesis based one for what I read...

Therefore if you haven't defended your thesis there should not be any problem since you haven't completed your program and haven't got your degree yet right

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

DarkMann said:
Hey guys,

I am a masters student, recently I got my new study permit will expire at the end of November. But I will finish my study within one month and I have to travel on August. The question is can I travel and come back using the study permit? Or I have to apply on post graduate work permit.

Thanks a lot .

1. It doesn't matter how long your permit is valid. Your study permit will automatically expire after 90 days of receiving the passing letter/final transcripts (not convocation, degree).
2. You need TRV to return & you won't get it beyond permit validity.
3. If you apply for PGWP, likely you will have an implied status and if you leave Canada when in implied status, you will lose it.

Jaiveer Singh

Aug 22, 2013
Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take me for an example.

I went to India in January 2015 after completed my course in December 2014. When i came back they have just asked me when you will gonna apply your pgwp? i already had my job offer and i showed to them and gave them a reason that i went to country for vacations.

There is no problem in visiting your country within 90 days time frame as long as you have valid study permit and visa.

abhi292000

Feb 24, 2010
Canada
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
20.June.2022
Doc's Request.
not yet
hi Members,

one of my friend is in india and he wants to come back canada problem is he has completed his two years studies in canada on Dec 2016 ..his TRV is expired when he was in India but has student visa Valid till March 2017.
Now when he tried to apply for TRV from India they said since you are no more student they cant issue him TRV
He wants to come back canada can he re enter with Student Visa ??
will immigration officer will ask him on what basis he is entering since his TRV is expired ??

Please give your expertise advise on above

Thanks
Abhishek

gurinderjit kaur

Jan 10, 2018
hi Members,

one of my friend is in india and he wants to come back canada problem is he has completed his two years studies in canada on Dec 2016 ..his TRV is expired when he was in India but has student visa Valid till March 2017.
Now when he tried to apply for TRV from India they said since you are no more student they cant issue him TRV
He wants to come back canada can he re enter with Student Visa ??
will immigration officer will ask him on what basis he is entering since his TRV is expired ??

Please give your expertise advise on above

Thanks
Abhishek

Hi
Then how your friend handle the situation?

Reactions: Neha@p

ishathakur916

Dec 28, 2020
Hello Members,

I have completed my masters and have applied for PGWP.My student visa is valid till November 2021 and my study permit is expiring on 23rd March 2021 (As i have got my final grades on 23 December 2020). So now my question is, can i travel back to canada if my Student visa is still valid and Work permit is in implied status.

Also, what happens if i get my work permit application approved while i am in India. Do i need to apply for TRV in that case or I can come back on my student visa?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Isha

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Members,

I have completed my masters and have applied for PGWP.My student visa is valid till November 2021 and my study permit is expiring on 23rd March 2021 (As i have got my final grades on 23 December 2020). So now my question is, can i travel back to canada if my Student visa is still valid and Work permit is in implied status.

Also, what happens if i get my work permit application approved while i am in India. Do i need to apply for TRV in that case or I can come back on my student visa?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Isha
When do you plan to return to Canada?