+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

Anju95

Mar 17, 2020
Hi, Congrats on receiving the approval for 3 years. I am also planning to apply for reconsideration. Can you please let me know the duration given on your completion letter from university. Does it say "program duration is 12 to 24 months" or "program duration is 16 to 24 months". Can you please confirm this. Thanks.
Hii, I have done two seperated one year programs and my college have mentione duration of one year on both the completion letter..

Snagra

Jan 7, 2021
Hlo everyone,
I did two programs each of one year but from different colleges. In October , i got one year work permit instead of three years. I called rcic twice, they advised me to reapply, so I did and yesterday got refusal stating that you can get work permit only one time which is already issued to you . Actually I asked them to extend my work permit for another two years. I don’t know what to do now. I don’t know now what to do .Should i ask them for reconsideration of my first application.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hlo everyone,
I did two programs each of one year but from different colleges. In October , i got one year work permit instead of three years. I called rcic twice, they advised me to reapply, so I did and yesterday got refusal stating that you can get work permit only one time which is already issued to you . Actually I asked them to extend my work permit for another two years. I don’t know what to do now. I don’t know now what to do .Should i ask them for reconsideration of my first application.
Yeah that was bad advice, did you I clude both programs docs in first application? Should have asked reconsideration can try now but it a lot of time passed.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Yes i have submitted all the documents.does time matters? Is there any time limit?
Reconsideration is not an official process so not much can be said about it. Did you include all docs in bery first application? At least then its their mistake.

Raj_01

Oct 8, 2018
Hi guys, I completed MEng from uOttawa in 16 months including 4 months of scheduled summer break and 3 academic terms. On my completion letter, my program length is mentioned as 2 years but on my transcript I have only 3 terms. I have received only 1 year pgwp while my classmated got 3 years pgwp with same documents. I tried to call ircc and talked to 2 different agents, they denied to out my file for reconsideration and asked me to raise a web form instead.

one of my friend is in same situation but when she called ircc, they send her file for reconsideration.

I am feeling so confused right now. Do you guys have any idea what are the chances of my pgwp extension if I send a web form?

Wed_Ca123

Feb 26, 2021
Hi everybody,

Last year I graduated from a 2-year- program with 1 summer break, the last semester was for co-op. I didn't have school drop. However, CIC just gave me 1 year PGWP instead of 3 years, while all my classmates who graduated with me got 3 years. I asked a lawyer to call for CIC, but no updates came to me after many months, so I had to I ask the lawyer to call CIC again. This time, the lawyer explained she talked to an agent and the agent admitted my program was eligible for 3 years and he would bring my case for a consideration, but no guarantee that my WP would be extended. 14 days was gone but I haven't gotten any update from CIC, which makes me so anxious because as I saw from similar cases, people got new approval within 7-10 days. I just have 90 days before my old WP is expired.

I am so upset now. If you guys have advice, please tell me. Thank you.

Feb 17, 2021
:( I did have the date. My passport expires 2022. I got the PGWP for one year which will end this year. I really don't understand how they choose candidates and why they give some people three years and others one - even if the program was two years.
Hey, can you let me know if you tried to extend your work permit or what is your current status?

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
I got 3 years work permit after applying for reconsideration. I just called CIC support and informed them that I'm eligible for 3 years work permit rather than 1 year. The reconsidered my case and I got updated work permit in 7 days.
I am in the same situation. Brother. What should I do? Should I hire experienced immigration consultant for this matter? I am literally eligible for three year pgwp. I completed two one year programme from two different DLI colleges.

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
I am in the same situation. I did a Master of Engineering program in 4 semesters -16 months, no breaks. That's a 2 year equivalent course. I got PGWP 1 year instead of 3 years. Called CIC, they put a reconsideration request and I got a correspondence mail saying the request is sent to the office.
Did you get your three work permit then ?

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
Hi guys, I completed MEng from uOttawa in 16 months including 4 months of scheduled summer break and 3 academic terms. On my completion letter, my program length is mentioned as 2 years but on my transcript I have only 3 terms. I have received only 1 year pgwp while my classmated got 3 years pgwp with same documents. I tried to call ircc and talked to 2 different agents, they denied to out my file for reconsideration and asked me to raise a web form instead.

one of my friend is in same situation but when she called ircc, they send her file for reconsideration.

I am feeling so confused right now. Do you guys have any idea what are the chances of my pgwp extension if I send a web form?
Did get your three year work permit later?