+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP while I am waiting an extension study permit?

progga

May 11, 2022
Hello,
Just made an account to stay updated if anyone has any info regarding this.
I'm in the same boat as everyone here.

From what I know, all we can do is wait for approval on our study permit and then apply for pgwp

Let me know if someone knows otherwise!
Thanks
did you get your study permit yet? what was ur next step?

progga

May 11, 2022
Hi there,
Did you resolve this issue?
Unfortunately, I have the same question.
My study permit has been in process for 145 days (since No21, Expiry date: Dec31,2019).
I don't know what to do.
Appreciate your input/suggestions.
did you resolve the issue? what did you do next?

midahu

Jun 3, 2022
Hi there,
I am in the same situation, has applied for sp extension been 60 days but no response, also I just got done with my studies. Just wondering do u guys know if they going to give me a study permit extension even though i am done with studies? Also can I work if i apply for my pgwp while cic is processing my sp extension?
I am in the same situation.

Applied to extend my study permit on Feb 04 (my study permit expired on March 31). Received the confirmation letter from my school on May 19. Still waiting for the extension of my study permit as of today June 03. I have a job offer that requires me to start working on June 21, if I do not get my extension, I will lose that job offer. I'm desperate :(

progga

May 11, 2022
I have received my study permit extension may 20th then apply for pgwp with valid study permit so I can work now. I Have applied for sp extension march 13th.

midahu

Jun 3, 2022
I have received my study permit extension may 20th then apply for pgwp with valid study permit so I can work now. I Have applied for sp extension march 13th.
Congratulations! It seems that yours was issued between the standard processing time ( 2 months ). I am waiting for almost 4 months :(

hannacerise

Jul 29, 2022
Hello,

I, too am in the same situation but I applied PGWP on implied status (or now called maintained status). For those who are still experiencing the same situation, I’ll try to share what IRCC told me.

• March 22, 2022 - I applied for a study permit extension.
  • April 27, 2022 - My study is completed.
  • April 30, 2022 - Study permit expired.
  • May 1 to present - I am on implied status.
  • July 19, 2022 - I called IRCC to inquire about my application since it’s way passed their processing time.
  • July 26, 2022 - I officially submit my PGWP application while on implied status. And yes, My study permit extension application is still pending up to date.
    • We can apply for PGWP while on implied status.
    • We do not have to cancel the first application which in this situation is the study permit extension after submitting an application for PGWP.
    • However, you cannot work because during the PGWP application, you currently do not hold a “valid” study permit, you’re on implied status. See this IRCC tweet response: for confirmation.
    • It is important to remember that you only have 180 days after you receive your graduate confirmation letter to submit your PGWP application.
You can confirm all these information by calling IRCC. You need patience when reaching out to them. I called around 9AM and I waited 35 minutes for their call back.

taran974

May 12, 2023
Hi all,
I have applied an extension study permit on Oct 29, 2019 and my study permit has been expired on Dec 6, 2019. And I still waiting to get an extension study permit.

I finished my full time study in the college on Dec 13, 2019 and I received an official transcript and a letter of graduate.

I got a job offer which I stat to work on Jan 6, 2020 it means that I have to get a valid permit or status before Jan 6, 2020.

My question is that as an implied status, can I apply PGWP while cic is processing my extend study permit?

according to CIC,
Held a valid study permit for the entirety of your program and have valid immigration status in Canada at the time of applying for the PGWP (eg. study permit or visitor status)

I am wondering my status is cover held a valid study.

I so serious and please help me.

Bro I am in the same boat…. Please tell me did you got your work permit? Did u work on implied status or not ?

taran974

May 12, 2023
I am in the same situation.

Applied to extend my study permit on Feb 04 (my study permit expired on March 31). Received the confirmation letter from my school on May 19. Still waiting for the extension of my study permit as of today June 03. I have a job offer that requires me to start working on June 21, if I do not get my extension, I will lose that job offer. I'm desperate :(
Hi dear,
Did u get the solution?
I have the same situation. Please reply

TomCassidy

Star Member
Jun 5, 2023
I am on the same boat
- Applied for Study Permit Extension on September 20, 2023 >> Still under processing
- Study permit expired on November 30, 2023
- became on a maintained status as a student
- Received Completion letter on December 21, 2023
- Submitted my Post-Graduate Work Permit on December 22, 2023

If I had a maintained status as a student when I applied for my Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), would I be able to work until the IRCC approves my PGWP?

Manndep

Jan 29, 2024
Hello,

I, too am in the same situation but I applied PGWP on implied status (or now called maintained status). For those who are still experiencing the same situation, I’ll try to share what IRCC told me.

• March 22, 2022 - I applied for a study permit extension.
  • April 27, 2022 - My study is completed.
  • April 30, 2022 - Study permit expired.
  • May 1 to present - I am on implied status.
  • July 19, 2022 - I called IRCC to inquire about my application since it’s way passed their processing time.
  • July 26, 2022 - I officially submit my PGWP application while on implied status. And yes, My study permit extension application is still pending up to date.
    • We can apply for PGWP while on implied status.
    • We do not have to cancel the first application which in this situation is the study permit extension after submitting an application for PGWP.
    • However, you cannot work because during the PGWP application, you currently do not hold a “valid” study permit, you’re on implied status. See this IRCC tweet response: for confirmation.
    • It is important to remember that you only have 180 days after you receive your graduate confirmation letter to submit your PGWP application.
You can confirm all these information by calling IRCC. You need patience when reaching out to them. I called around 9AM and I waited 35 minutes for their call back.