+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP while I am waiting an extension study permit?

Manndep

Jan 29, 2024
So i have same issue as yours....when did you finally received your Study extension or your PGWP? Please reply

Manndep

Jan 29, 2024
So i have same issue as yours....when did you finally received your Study extension or your PGWP? Please reply

hannacerise

Jul 29, 2022

STUDY PERMIT EXTENSION
  • I waited 5 months. I submitted the application on March 2022 and got the approval on August 2022.
POST GRAD WORK PERMIT
  • I waited 4 1/2 months. I submitted the PGWP application on late July 2022, received approval on December 2022.

Manndep

Jan 29, 2024
STUDY PERMIT EXTENSION
  • I waited 5 months. I submitted the application on March 2022 and got the approval on August 2022.
POST GRAD WORK PERMIT
  • I waited 4 1/2 months. I submitted the PGWP application on late July 2022, received approval on December 2022.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Just one more concern. Did you work while you were waiting for your Study extension or PGWP or were you free at that time. Because in my case I am also waiting for my Study extension and yet not applied for PGWP. Maybe i will apply today. And I am not working since January 1. :(... i am extremely worried.
After applying for PGWP today,, should i start working or what should I do?

hannacerise

Jul 29, 2022
Thank you so much for your reply.
Just one more concern. Did you work while you were waiting for your Study extension or PGWP or were you free at that time. Because in my case I am also waiting for my Study extension and yet not applied for PGWP. Maybe i will apply today. And I am not working since January 1. :(... i am extremely worried.
After applying for PGWP today,, should i start working or what should I do?
It depends whether when you submitted your study permit extension application. If you submitted it before your study permit expires, then you have a ‘maintained status’ meaning you can keep studying and working.

However, if you see the tweet i put on my post here, IRCC responded that:

“2/2 If you had implied status as a student when you applied for your PGWP, you won’t be able to work until we approve your PGWP.”

I took the safest yet hardest route— I opted not to work during waiting time to avoid problems in the future. My suggestion is call IRCC no matter what before you start working to ensure that you are following their rules.

Manndep

Jan 29, 2024
It depends whether when you submitted your study permit extension application. If you submitted it before your study permit expires, then you have a ‘maintained status’ meaning you can keep studying and working.

“2/2 If you had implied status as a student when you applied for your PGWP, you won’t be able to work until we approve your PGWP.”

I took the safest yet hardest route— I opted not to work during waiting time to avoid problems in the future. My suggestion is call IRCC no matter what before you start working to ensure that you are following their rules.
Thank you so so much for your replies. I appreciate your time and efforts to help me

Manndep

Jan 29, 2024

Hi Actually I was just applying for my PGWP now, while I am on "Implied status". There is a question number 7. "What is your current country of residence" in which we have to put Date as well. "Date of our study permit validity "FROM" & "TO". When I enter the expiry date which is 30 December 2023, it says it should be greater than the present date and states it as INVALID. Due to this, I am unable to VALIDATE my IMM 5710e form. Please reply what date did you put in that? and what should I Do now :(

rutub1704

Feb 3, 2024
Hi All,

I am in the same boat, I have applied for the Study Permit Ext and SOWP Ext on Oct 15, 2023 as my original study permit was about to expire in Dec 31, 2023. In the meantime my studies got finished in Dec 2023. I have received my official completion letter and while I am on implied status I submitted my PGWP and SOWP ext together. I haven't received implied status letter after submitting PGWP application. Can My spouse and I work while we waiting for the decision on both my application?

Please help!

Manndep

Jan 29, 2024
Hi All,

I am in the same boat, I have applied for the Study Permit Ext and SOWP Ext on Oct 15, 2023 as my original study permit was about to expire in Dec 31, 2023. In the meantime my studies got finished in Dec 2023. I have received my official completion letter and while I am on implied status I submitted my PGWP and SOWP ext together. I haven't received implied status letter after submitting PGWP application. Can My spouse and I work while we waiting for the decision on both my application?

Please help!
Hi, As per your situation you need to have that letter from IRCC which states that you can work but while on Implied status only spouse can work and not the main applicant "student''. I am in the same situation. However, I have not applied for PGWP. Can you please help me with that? Did you applied for your PGWP by yourself?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

Please help!
When does your spouse’s SOWP expire?

azazel_x0

Mar 22, 2024
Hi, As per your situation you need to have that letter from IRCC which states that you can work but while on Implied status only spouse can work and not the main applicant "student''. I am in the same situation. However, I have not applied for PGWP. Can you please help me with that? Did you applied for your PGWP by yourself?
Hello im in the same boat
Can i know if you got a result ?
What happened with your process ?