+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP and spousal open work permit TOGETHER?

Ankush joshi

Jun 8, 2020
Hello i have one query, my wife study permit is going to expire on 1st of august and my spousal open work permit is also expiring on the same day. As i am travelling from india to canada in the month of june and i have only 40 days left to extend my open work permit visa. Can I apply my spousal open work permit simultaneously with my wife post graduation work permit as she recently got graduated. Please suggest
Please suggest

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Please suggest
Yes, you can apply as long as your wife has a NOC A, B or 0 job, has already started working in that job and can provide three pay slips from her job with your SOWP application.

Ankush joshi

Jun 8, 2020
Yes, you can apply as long as your wife has a NOC A, B or 0 job, has already started working in that job and can provide three pay slips from her job with your SOWP application.
Heyy!!
As we all know due to covid 19 pandemic restaurants are closed and she has laid off from work at a moment. In this condition, what we can do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Heyy!!
As we all know due to covid 19 pandemic restaurants are closed and she has laid off from work at a moment. In this condition, what we can do?
In that case you don't qualify to extend your SOWP. She must be working in a NOC A, B or 0 job in order for you to qualify for an extension. In that case you need to apply to change your status to visitor in Canada before your SOWP expires. Once your SOWP expires, you'll have to stop working but you will be able to stay in Canada as a tourist. Once your wife has a NOC A, B or 0 job again, you can reapply for a SOWP.

Ankush joshi

Jun 8, 2020
In that case you don't qualify to extend your SOWP. She must be working in a NOC A, B or 0 job in order for you to qualify for an extension. In that case you need to apply to change your status to visitor in Canada before your SOWP expires. Once your SOWP expires, you'll have to stop working but you will be able to stay in Canada as a tourist. Once your wife has a NOC A, B or 0 job again, you can reapply for a SOWP.
Ok thank you for responding

Ankush joshi

Jun 8, 2020
Ok thank you for responding
Heyy!!
If my wife already applied for PGWP application and she has an application number then can employer will give NOC B level employment letter on the basis of application or she has to wait until she got post graduation work permit approval.
Please help

Ankush joshi

Jun 8, 2020
Heyy!!
If my wife already applied for PGWP application and she has an application number then can employer will give NOC B level employment letter on the basis of application or she has to wait until she got post graduation work permit approval.
Please help
Please suggest
Your solution would be appreciated

Farmir

Jun 6, 2020
Hello. I am applying for my PGWP, and I have already hired in a full time job in NOC B. Since my wife's SOWP is valid until the end of August, which option do you think in more logic and of course legal:
1-I apply for PGWP and SOWP extension together( however I guess I need 3 payslips,which I dont have them obviously at this time because I cant start the job until I apply for PGWP)
2_ I apply for PGWP and visitor visa for my wife at the same time and after I attend the job and receive payslips, I apply for SOWP
3- I apply for PGWP and do nothing for my wife status(since her work permit is valid until August)and since I guess I can receive the approved PGWP in short time and before her work permit expiry date( because of current situation they issue PGWP faster), and then I apply for her work permit extension along with my payslips. About the last scenario, I am not sure that she can continue working or not.
I appreciate any suggestions that I can make a decision.

Nimer1986

Aug 28, 2020
Hi all.
I hope that someone answers my question.
I have been in Canada for about 2 years on a study permit. I have graduated 3 days ago and i want to apply for PGWP. I came to Canada alone and my family still in Jordan. I want to apply for an open work permit for my wife to come to Canada and for my children i found something called: visitor- all others.
I want to apply for them at the same time when i apply for my PGWP. So it's all new here, new pgwp,new owp, and visitors for my children.
I don't have a job yet but am looking.
Is this gonna be a problem?
Thank you for your time and support.

vubq123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2018
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
09-05-2020
Hi all.
I hope that someone answers my question.
I have been in Canada for about 2 years on a study permit. I have graduated 3 days ago and i want to apply for PGWP. I came to Canada alone and my family still in Jordan. I want to apply for an open work permit for my wife to come to Canada and for my children i found something called: visitor- all others.
I want to apply for them at the same time when i apply for my PGWP. So it's all new here, new pgwp,new owp, and visitors for my children.
I don't have a job yet but am looking.
Is this gonna be a problem?
Thank you for your time and support.
You must have a job in NOC 0, A or B and 3 paystubs to apply for your wife spousal open work permit.
"If your spouse has an open work permit (e.g. post-graduation work permit), you must attach a copy of your spouse’s work permit to your application for an open work permit, along with:

• a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
  • a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips."
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d

Reactions: Nimer1986

Nimer1986

Aug 28, 2020
You must have a job in NOC 0, A or B and 3 paystubs to apply for your wife spousal open work permit.
"If your spouse has an open work permit (e.g. post-graduation work permit), you must attach a copy of your spouse’s work permit to your application for an open work permit, along with:

• a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
  • a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips."
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d
Thank you so much for clarification.

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
If you are looking to ultimately apply for PR look for a province that will help you while serving your 3 years PGWP. As your family is not in Canada yet, take the time to plan the next 3 years and how you can get a PR quicker and easier.
Alot of us just focus on how to get a job quickly and sometimes we are in big cities where the pathways are limited.
I moved to nova scotia after being in Toronto for a year and I already qualify for PR with no issue of meeting required points or being in a pool.
Its just advise no one gave me when I came with my family.

Nimer1986

Aug 28, 2020
If you are looking to ultimately apply for PR look for a province that will help you while serving your 3 years PGWP. As your family is not in Canada yet, take the time to plan the next 3 years and how you can get a PR quicker and easier.
Alot of us just focus on how to get a job quickly and sometimes we are in big cities where the pathways are limited.
I moved to nova scotia after being in Toronto for a year and I already qualify for PR with no issue of meeting required points or being in a pool.
Its just advise no one gave me when I came with my family.
You know what,,,,,, I am thinking the same thing at this very moment. but the only thing am worry about is finding a job in the new province ( no matter what it is). to be clear, right know am working on my car with Skip the Dishes ( delivery) just to support my self these days until i find a job.
but my question is: did you move to a new province after securing a job or did u move then started to search for jobs in the new province?

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
I was working in fast food for 8 months cos I could not find a job in my line in Toronto.

My apartment lease was ending in July so I boarded a plane to halifax, stayed at airbnb for 1 month, found a house for the family(paying less rent compared to Toronto). All this while applying for all kinds of jobs. I got a job after 3 weeks being in halifax. And it is a type B.

My wife works from home and we had 3000 dollars with us so we managed to move and pay our daily expenses.

So in a nut shell, you really dont know what is the best option but its best to only keep 2 to 3 key factors to choose your options.
For me i needed a qualifying job and a pathway that did not put me in a pool as there are so many applicants with better points than me. So I had to move out of the ontario rat race and go to a place that is smaller and more surety in getting PR.

You are without your family so your struggle is not so stressful as mine. Covid, kids school, job to survive and PR pathway were all my problems.

Make your decision, plan for PR in 18 months max. Get your family when you have decided which program you are aiming for and you have secured the required job.

Nimer1986

Aug 28, 2020
I was working in fast food for 8 months cos I could not find a job in my line in Toronto.

My apartment lease was ending in July so I boarded a plane to halifax, stayed at airbnb for 1 month, found a house for the family(paying less rent compared to Toronto). All this while applying for all kinds of jobs. I got a job after 3 weeks being in halifax. And it is a type B.

My wife works from home and we had 3000 dollars with us so we managed to move and pay our daily expenses.

So in a nut shell, you really dont know what is the best option but its best to only keep 2 to 3 key factors to choose your options.
For me i needed a qualifying job and a pathway that did not put me in a pool as there are so many applicants with better points than me. So I had to move out of the ontario rat race and go to a place that is smaller and more surety in getting PR.

You are without your family so your struggle is not so stressful as mine. Covid, kids school, job to survive and PR pathway were all my problems.

Make your decision, plan for PR in 18 months max. Get your family when you have decided which program you are aiming for and you have secured the required job.
Amazing.... I can't thank you enough for your help.