+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP and spousal open work permit TOGETHER?

Imranhumayun

May 7, 2018
Canada
Visa Office......
Lahore
App. Filed.......
27-06-2018
Hi,
My situation is same, spouse and kid are with me in Canada, iam on study permit which would expire on nov 30.
What will happen to spouse who is working in noc C if i only apply for my pgwp and approval does not come in time? What are my options?
And kid .

Thank you.
hey, I was already working in NOC B when i applied my PGWP. I just submitted 2 pay stubs and company letter. I used to work with them part time during studies. The requirement is to show you are working in skill trade.If you worked part time with any employer and still kn the same job which falls under NOC O A or B then you should apply for PGWP. And as soon as your work permit approves then you can apply for Spouse and dependants visas.
I red many ppl applied together with family and got visa for whole family.
but i would recommend to follow book. Apply urz. If in case your decision doesn’t came in time you will have to extend your spouse or dependant visas to temporary residence permit (visit). Later you can apply for their work permit.

Reactions: arvindman

arvindman

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
India
Category........
PNP
hey, I was already working in NOC B when i applied my PGWP. I just submitted 2 pay stubs and company letter. I used to work with them part time during studies. The requirement is to show you are working in skill trade.If you worked part time with any employer and still kn the same job which falls under NOC O A or B then you should apply for PGWP. And as soon as your work permit approves then you can apply for Spouse and dependants visas.
I red many ppl applied together with family and got visa for whole family.
but i would recommend to follow book. Apply urz. If in case your decision doesn’t came in time you will have to extend your spouse or dependant visas to temporary residence permit (visit). Later you can apply for their work permit.
Thank you for your reply @Imran Humayun
But my concern is I don't have 0,a,b job yet so fearing if that will restrict me to apply for spouse later.

Imranhumayun

May 7, 2018
Canada
Visa Office......
Lahore
App. Filed.......
27-06-2018
Thank you for your reply @Imran Humayun
But my concern is I don't have 0,a,b job yet so fearing if that will restrict me to apply for spouse later.
Well your main concern should be now to apply for your work permit only successfully. Even Later if you have to convert your spouse to visitor visa, you shouldn’t hesitate. Think about to keep your spouse here legally, until unless you find NOC O A B job. Then you can apply for them.
i would encourage you to apply for your work permit then try to find job. Your spouse should have couple of months on her visa for now. Plan ahead

Farmir

Jun 6, 2020
Hi,
My situation is same, spouse and kid are with me in Canada, iam on study permit which would expire on nov 30.
What will happen to spouse who is working in noc C if i only apply for my pgwp and approval does not come in time? What are my options?
And kid .

Thank you.
Hi, after you graduate, you can instantly apply for your PGWP, and regardless of receiving the physical permit you can start working after you applied. Your spouse can legally continue working until their permit expires. On the other hand, as soon as you got a job, which has to be in Noc A,B,0 you can apply for your spouse open work permit with an employment letter from your work place along with your 3 recent payslips as the supporting documents. In the worst case if you are not able to find a job in noc a,b, and your spouse permit is going to be expired, she has to apply for visitor visa or leave Canada. 1- you can not apply for their permit at the same time of yours. 2- her work does not help you to extend her permit. 3- I dont have any kid but I believe the same- above conditions apply for your kid as well

May 11, 2022
Hi all,
I hope someone can advise me on my situation!

I came to Canada with an SP and my wife with an OWP, issued for one year, the same length of the program. Then I enrolled in a second program and applied for an extension of my SP, and my wife's OWP. We submitted the application—before the initial SP expiration date, which was March 2022—in December 2021 and haven't received a response yet (More than 4 months later).

I finished the second program three weeks ago, and have a job offer to work full-time in a Noc A type of job, to start working next Monday 5/16. So I have two issues:

1. I need to apply for my PGWP, but my original SP is expired and I am on implied status, so from what I have seen it's not the same as having an approved SP extension, and I don't know if I should apply without having a formal approval on the SP extension.
2. I also want to apply for my wife's OWP, but she is also on implied status since they haven't responded to her application either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Imranhumayun

May 7, 2018
Canada
Visa Office......
Lahore
App. Filed.......
27-06-2018
Hi all,

I came to Canada with an SP and my wife with an OWP, issued for one year, the same length of the program. Then I enrolled in a second program and applied for an extension of my SP, and my wife's OWP. We submitted the application—before the initial SP expiration date, which was March 2022—in December 2021 and haven't received a response yet (More than 4 months later).

I finished the second program three weeks ago, and have a job offer to work full-time in a Noc A type of job, to start working next Monday 5/16. So I have two issues:

1. I need to apply for my PGWP, but my original SP is expired and I am on implied status, so from what I have seen it's not the same as having an approved SP extension, and I don't know if I should apply without having a formal approval on the SP extension.
2. I also want to apply for my wife's OWP, but she is also on implied status since they haven't responded to her application either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi,

I would say Apply for PGWP and OWP for spouse. And attach an explanation letter along with previously applied applications submission confirmation letters for both of you. Either way your application will be processed. Most probably they will approve your new application for PGWP along with previous extension of SP.

Farmir

Jun 6, 2020
Hi all,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I believe you wont have any problem if you apply for your pgwp, since the ircc backlog caused too many issues to you and others. The thing I am 100 percent sure in Canada is, as long as you are doing everything legally and following the deadlines and instructions, you will be fine. That being said, if you have found a job in noc a,b,0 so you will be able to apply for your spouse work permit too, after you have 3 payslips from your work place though.

May 11, 2022
Hi,

I would say Apply for PGWP and OWP for spouse. And attach an explanation letter along with previously applied applications submission confirmation letters for both of you. Either way your application will be processed. Most probably they will approve your new application for PGWP along with previous extension of SP.
Thank you, Imranhumayun! that is exactly what I have in mind.

May 11, 2022
I believe you wont have any problem if you apply for your pgwp, since the ircc backlog caused too many issues to you and others. The thing I am 100 percent sure in Canada is, as long as you are doing everything legally and following the deadlines and instructions, you will be fine. That being said, if you have found a job in noc a,b,0 so you will be able to apply for your spouse work permit too, after you have 3 payslips from your work place though.
Thank you Farmir, well I am thinking about submitting including the contract, and then submitting the payslips via contact form. The reason is because I understand that my wife's OPW will not be valid once I apply to the PGWP, is that the case? she has a great job and we wouldn't want her to lose it.

Berryiz

Oct 28, 2022
Hello, I hope I can get answers here as this issue has been bothering me

My spouse applied for his PGWP last month but he's yet to receive the approved permit from IRCC.
My SOWP expires on the 30th of November and I'm thinking of leaving Canada to attend to personal issues back home and apply for Visit Visa afterwards from my home country to enable me return to Canada.

My questions are:
1.Will the OWP extension take longer if I apply for it from outside Canada?
2. Will it be a good idea to leave the country without a valid work permit

Dipak2636

Feb 26, 2023
I have heard that after 30 jan 2023 rule is changed and now any Noc or Teer category job will be eligible to apply for spouse work permit with PGWP. is it correct? and is it required to provide 3 paystubs of job?

Flaky30

Apr 13, 2022
Good day,
We applied for Postgraduate work permit spouse open work permit, then my husband pqwp was approved and transferred my file to Nairobi, now got a letter asking for my hubby employment letter and pay slips, his last job was in May please advise

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good day,
We applied for Postgraduate work permit spouse open work permit, then my husband pqwp was approved and transferred my file to Nairobi, now got a letter asking for my hubby employment letter and pay slips, his last job was in May please advise
So he is not employed? He needs to be employed.