+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a suprevisor provide a job reference letter?

aimeemel

Sep 14, 2018
Hello all,

Quick question...

I was a Housekeeping supervisor and when I left, I didn't have the best relationship with my Manager. I did however have a very good relationship with my Assistant Manager. Am I able to have her sign off on the reference letter?

Also, she does not have her own individual email address. All mail for the department is sent to the actual manager so I do not want to provide her address. Also, the email addresses are simply for internal mail. Can I simply leave the email address off or can the Assistant Manager provide her own personal email and I can provide a LOE in addition to this?

Thank you for any help!

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hello all,

Quick question...

I was a Housekeeping supervisor and when I left, I didn't have the best relationship with my Manager. I did however have a very good relationship with my Assistant Manager. Am I able to have her sign off on the reference letter?

Also, she does not have her own individual email address. All mail for the department is sent to the actual manager so I do not want to provide her address. Also, the email addresses are simply for internal mail. Can I simply leave the email address off or can the Assistant Manager provide her own personal email and I can provide a LOE in addition to this?

Thank you for any help!
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;
If you can meet the above mentioned requirements and your assistant manger is authorized to sign documents in Official Letterhead then yes your assistant manager can sign it, no problem. But if you cannot get this letter in Company letterhead then you are going to face some problems to claim experience points.

In situation like this the alternative approach would be to get the letter on a plain paper (make sure you include the above mentioned information) from your assistant manger with his/her full contact details along with the company address and contact details. Notarize this letter and submit with as many other proofs as you can provide, such as payslips, salary bank statement, tax documents, appointment letter, contract letter, relieving letter etc. Also write a detail Letter or Explanation regarding the whole situation.

However I must warn you, if you cannot meet the IRCC condition of experience letter in Company letterhead then most probably your eligibility will be tagged as "Review Required" by the Case Analyst, means a Visa Officer must go through the documents again before you pass the eligibility. Currently "Review Required" queue is quite long and it is taking 6 months to a year to complete the review and finalize your file. So be mentally prepared for this unavoidable delay. If you want to avoid it then you must talk to your manager regarding this get an Official Letter meeting the above mentioned requirements. You can check these links about the review required cases-
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/gcms-shows-eligibility-review-required-lets-get-together-here.503779/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/i-am-stuck-at-eligibility-review-required-need-help.572282/

Hope it helps, Good Luck!