+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a permanent resident sponsor spouse?

aapak

May 28, 2009
Hello all!!

I am a pakistani student studying in a university in canada on a study permit. I am doing an MENG degree. I am engaged to a permanent resident who is also studying with me. She is doing her bachelors. Can she sponsor me for PR?

If yes, then what are the chances that i'll get the PR and also how to go about it?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes, she can sponsor you, if you and her are married.
Just read some post on this forum. I suggest you spend a little time doing some research on spouse sponsoring before asking questions.
And check this website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp for more detail.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, she can sponsor you. Either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident can sponsor their spouse. Unlike a Canadian citizen, a PR MUST be living in Canada to do this, so that is good news for you!

You will need to read the information about the sponsorship process here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp There are 3 steps to the process: 1. your (future) spouse's sponsorship application, 2. your PR application and 3. specific guidelines for your country. You will need to read and follow the instructions in the country-specific guidelines for Pakistan.

Note that she will only be eligible to sponsor you once you are actually married. She cannot sponsor you while you are engaged. Unlike some other countries, Canada does not have a "fiancee visa". However, if you have been living together for at least 12 months continuously, you may be able to apply as common-law partners. Good luck.

aapak

May 28, 2009
Hey!
Thank you for the links. I have a few more questions:

1. Is it possible for her to apply for me while i am still studying in canada,i.e if we get married?
2. Would they require my police certificates as I am already in canada and i have submitted one already at the time of my study permit.
3. Where will I be interviewed? Will I have to go back to my home country for all that or everything can be done staying here?

Thank you for the help again. My questions will keep on coming!!

Best regards to all!!

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
1. Yes, you can apply as soon as you're married.
2. Yes, you will need to provide fresh police certificates - at the time of submitting the application, they should not be more than 3 months old
3. You have two choices for sponsorship: inland and outland. Inland is processed in Canada and assumes you already have a legal status in Canada. Outland is processed in your home country. There are other differences, I suggest you look around the forum a bit.
In any case, if you do an outland app, then if an interview was required, it would be held at the visa offices that processed your file. If you file an inland app, then any interview would be held at the local CIC office.

Keep 'em coming ;)

aapak

May 28, 2009
how much time does it usually take in the process? Is inland preferred or outland and which usually takes less time?

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Depends what your outland country is.. some are as long as inland.. and some outland countries are so fast!
Outland
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp
Inland
You would look at CPC Vegreville
First step is 6 months if approved.. you can get an open work permit which you apply for at the same time as your application
Than if you are approved another year usually
If you are not approved it gets transferred to a local office pending furthur investigation and some offices have a delay of another 12-24 months.. so it can be long.. and if you are not approved in the first step you can't work.

So depending on your country for your outland process some you can get in as little as 3 months.. but if you are requested for an interview you would have to fly out to that office. There would also be a chance that you wont get accepted back into Canada until your process is finished. But if you don't have an interview it won't be a problem.
Also the main reasons for being called into an interview is to furthur question your relationship with your spouse.. They sometimes believe the marriage to not be genuine. You must supply them with lots of evidence to show it is genuine.
Side note I just noticed you are from Pakistan so Islamabad takes between 6-13 months.
So both sides have pros and cons.. best of luck to you..

aapak

May 28, 2009
Hey all!!

I would also like to know that what chances do I stand of getting PR as my would still be in university and my wife cant show support documents as she lives in dorms and does not work.. does it even matter?? could ne one please guide!

thank you for the help!
really appreciate you all!!
cheers!!

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Well I would think that once you receive PR you wouldn't be living in dorms with your wife so she would need to prove that she has some sort of residence set up or plans to setup with family or a rental or whatever.. and working doesnt matter as she doesnt need to prove her income level.