+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a Canadian Sponsor his son to immigrate to Canada

JalalTabbal

Mar 11, 2014
Hi, I am a Naturalized Canadian and I know that if I pass my Canadian Citizenship to my foreign-born son (was born last year), he will not be able to pass on his Canadian Citizenship to his children. Therefore, I am thinking of arranging for him to immigrate to Canada thru “Family Sponsorship” category. I know that this process is very lengthy but at the end of it my son will get a Naturalized Citizenship which will allow him to pass it on to his children. My question is: Is that possible? Will CiC allow me to sponsor my son to immigrate to Canada although I can pass on my Canadian Citizenship to him without immigrating to Canada? Appreciate your valuable responses. Amar.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
JalalTabbal said:
Hi, I am a Naturalized Canadian and I know that if I pass my Canadian Citizenship to my foreign-born son (was born last year), he will not be able to pass on his Canadian Citizenship to his children. Therefore, I am thinking of arranging for him to immigrate to Canada thru “Family Sponsorship” category. I know that this process is very lengthy but at the end of it my son will get a Naturalized Citizenship which will allow him to pass it on to his children. My question is: Is that possible? Will CiC allow me to sponsor my son to immigrate to Canada although I can pass on my Canadian Citizenship to him without immigrating to Canada? Appreciate your valuable responses. Amar.
Were you a naturalized citizen before your son was born? I don't think you can "opt out" of passing along the citizenship, but I might be wrong.

JalalTabbal

Mar 11, 2014
So many thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I am a naturalised Citizen since over 20 years. And I can pass on my Canadian Citizenship to my foreign-born son (was born last year), but I need him to be able to pass it on to his kids, and that's why I am thinking of sponsoring him. Do you know if CiC will allow me to sponsor him although I can pass on my Canadian Citizenship to him without immigrating to Canada? Thanks.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
JalalTabbal said:
So many thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I am a naturalised Citizen since over 20 years. And I can pass on my Canadian Citizenship to my foreign-born son (was born last year), but I need him to be able to pass it on to his kids, and that's why I am thinking of sponsoring him. Do you know if CiC will allow me to sponsor him although I can pass on my Canadian Citizenship to him without immigrating to Canada? Thanks.
I think they will send you a letter telling you that your son is likely a Canadian citizen already and you can not sponsor a citizen to come live in Canada. Again, this is a version of 'opting out' of being a citizen and you can not do that. If you want your son to have Canadian children, ensure he knows they should be born of a Canadian mother (who was born in Canada) or born on Canadian soil. Then your future grandchildren will be Canadian.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
JalalTabbal said:
CIC will not let you sponsor him because he is already a Canadian citizen.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
JalalTabbal said:
You will not be able to sponsor your son as he is Canadian citizen by law even though he is born outside Canada. If you tried to "sponsor" him, CIC will simply reply back saying the son is not qualified to be sponsored as he is already Canadian citizen.

If you want your grandkids to be Canadian, the son would have to marry a naturalized Canadian or a Canadian born wife if your son wants to stay and live outside Canada without ever stepping foot in Canada. Otherwise he has no choice but to move to Canada and have children inside Canada.

What you are wanting to do is what you called "eternal generational citizenship passing of the torch without stepping in Canada". The new rules were made to prevent this from happening.

Screech339