+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculating 1 year of experience

Saifil Momin

Oct 20, 2019
Hey guys,
I will soon be graduating in Dec 2020 and my study permit will be expiring in March 2021. My question is that if I get a job between dec 2020 i.e. my graduation date and March 31 which is the date when my study permit ends, will this count as an experience in CEC as it is something obtained under study permit? Also, I am going to apply for my WP later and continue with the job.
Thanks for answering.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hey guys,
I will soon be graduating in Dec 2020 and my study permit will be expiring in March 2021. My question is that if I get a job between dec 2020 i.e. my graduation date and March 31 which is the date when my study permit ends, will this count as an experience in CEC as it is something obtained under study permit? Also, I am going to apply for my WP later and continue with the job.
Thanks for answering.
Only experienced earned while holding a valid work permit counts. If you graduate you are still not allowed to work full time unless it's a scheduled break. Graduating is not considered a break.

If you are planning on working after you should apply for the PGWP right away. You will be able to start working then even before the work permit is approved because you'll earn implied status.

Just apply for the work permit after graduating no need to try to play the system just to have your work permit expire a few months later. That will kick you in the butt later.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I will soon be graduating in Dec 2020 and my study permit will be expiring in March 2021. My question is that if I get a job between dec 2020 i.e. my graduation date and March 31 which is the date when my study permit ends, will this count as an experience in CEC as it is something obtained under study permit?

No, it will count as violating the terms of your study permit and working illegally if you work after graduation without first applying for the BOWP. As soon as you are informed by your university that you have completed your program (or actually graduate, whichever comes first), you are no longer authorized to work under your study permit.

Also, I am going to apply for my WP later and continue with the job.
As Wolfpmd3 states, you need to apply for your BOWP as soon as you are eligible, if you want to continue working. It still takes 3-4 months to process, giving you extra time to gain eligible experience while you wait for the permit.

hustler751

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Only experienced earned while holding a valid work permit counts. If you graduate you are still not allowed to work full time unless it's a scheduled break. Graduating is not considered a break.

If you are planning on working after you should apply for the PGWP right away. You will be able to start working then even before the work permit is approved because you'll earn implied status.

Just apply for the work permit after graduating no need to try to play the system just to have your work permit expire a few months later. That will kick you in the butt later.
Hey, does the work done under implied status calculate towards CEC work experience? I mean, work done after applying PGWP and before getting PGWP ?

patelyogesh2

Star Member
Oct 24, 2017
I have a similar question. I completed my master's in August 2019 and applied for a post-graduation work permit in September 2020. I got a full-time NOC B job in October 2019. but I got my work permit in December 2019. So that 2-months experience will count for CEC or I have work more two months to cover that two months?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hey, does the work done under implied status calculate towards CEC work experience? I mean, work done after applying PGWP and before getting PGWP ?
Yes, it's permitted.

Refer to the section "Work authorization after submitting a post-graduation work permit application" in this LINK

I have a similar question. I completed my master's in August 2019 and applied for a post-graduation work permit in September 2020. I got a full-time NOC B job in October 2019. but I got my work permit in December 2019. So that 2-months experience will count for CEC or I have work more two months to cover that two months?
Same as above.

The bottom line, yes it will count, and is it explicitly allowed by IRCC.

hustler751

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Yes, it's permitted.

Refer to the section "Work authorization after submitting a post-graduation work permit application" in this LINK

Same as above.

The bottom line, yes it will count, and is it explicitly allowed by IRCC.
And what documents do we need to show for work experience ? Offer letter, experience letter, paystubs ,,,right ?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
And what documents do we need to show for work experience ? Offer letter, experience letter, paystubs ,,,right ?
Source: IRCC (see link)

"The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
If the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe [e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years])."