+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

sniper2

Jun 2, 2014
Hi Everyone,
For Q8, "Is someone helping you fill this form?" YES
and "Are you paying someone to help you fill this form?" NO

Can I put the relationship of the person that helped me fill this form? Spouse (in Company column)
Hi Finally what did you put? you got AOR?
Thanks,

arise

Star Member
Feb 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC, Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2011
Doc's Request.
15-12-2011
Nomination.....
02-02-2012
AOR Received.
13-04-2012
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
26-07-2013, Received on 15-08-2013, in process 30/10/2013
Passport Req..
(new born medical + RPRF + Passport request) all received on 5-11-2013, Decision made on 25/11/2013
VISA ISSUED...
04/12/2013
LANDED..........
14/1/2014
@spyfy
Thanks for all the valueable inputs.

What i understood from your very first post is that the length does not matter. now here is my wife situation. my wife was out of canada for 10 months (initially family visit but stayed for extended period due to her mom health), and again for another 4 months (in a different year) due to her mom sickness- so in total she was out for about 14 months during her elegibility period (5 years). the purpose was not to stay there but family visit. How I would go for Q10(a)?

Thank you,

Arise

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
@spyfy
Thanks for all the valueable inputs.

What i understood from your very first post is that the length does not matter. now here is my wife situation. my wife was out of canada for 10 months (initially family visit but stayed for extended period due to her mom health), and again for another 4 months (in a different year) due to her mom sickness- so in total she was out for about 14 months during her elegibility period (5 years). the purpose was not to stay there but family visit. How I would go for Q10(a)?

Thank you,

Arise
There is no golden rule. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't always one single right way to fill the forms. Most importantly, make sure that it is consistent. I would say if I go somewhere for 10 months, it's not just a visit, I actually live there. 10 months would be a reeeeaaally long visit. :) Also, think beyond length, as I earlier said. Instead think of how she stayed there: Was she there as a visitor, visiting sights, traveling around, staying in hotels? Or did she stay at a house, received mail, went to the local grocery store.

Most importantly, I cannot emphasize this enough: There is NOT one single right way to do this. Just be consistent with your application. This application is not a game where you have to hit the right buttons to win. What they actually want from you is that you give them a consistent and believable background story. There is often more than one right way to do this, as in this example.

If you want to be extra sure, attach a short explanation to the application form.

Reactions: arise

arise

Star Member
Feb 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC, Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2011
Doc's Request.
15-12-2011
Nomination.....
02-02-2012
AOR Received.
13-04-2012
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
(new born medical + RPRF + Passport request) all received on 5-11-2013, Decision made on 25/11/2013
VISA ISSUED...
04/12/2013
LANDED..........
14/1/2014
What is the difference between a homemaker and a caregiver?
my wife was unemployed but i do have kids- she was taking care of the kids during her eligibility period. Under Q11 for occupation, field of employment, what needs to be written? homemaker or caregiver??

Thank you,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What is the difference between a homemaker and a caregiver?
my wife was unemployed but i do have kids- she was taking care of the kids during her eligibility period. Under Q11 for occupation, field of employment, what needs to be written? homemaker or caregiver??
There is a difference, which I will address below, which probably tips the scales toward "homemaker" as the better response, BUT as @spyfy has oft noted, there is not always a specific right answer for a particular item:

There is no golden rule. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't always one single right way to fill the forms.
Applicants need to use their own best judgment in deciding what is the best, most appropriate, honest and accurate and complete response. There are no fixed formulas or definitive answers for many of the questions.

So either probably is OK.

That said, there is a category of temporary immigration which can lead to permanent residency for an in-home "caregiver," meaning an individual who comes to Canada specifically to be employed as a care-giver for someone in Canada who needs such care. I do not know if this includes nanny employment or not (I suspect not but I am not well acquainted with this aspect of immigration). In any event, this is different from the care-giver role of a parent or family member.

arise

Star Member
Feb 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC, Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2011
Doc's Request.
15-12-2011
Nomination.....
02-02-2012
AOR Received.
13-04-2012
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04/12/2013
LANDED..........
14/1/2014
There is a difference, which I will address below, which probably tips the scales toward "homemaker" as the better response, BUT as @spyfy has oft noted, there is not always a specific right answer for a particular item:

Applicants need to use their own best judgment in deciding what is the best, most appropriate, honest and accurate and complete response. There are no fixed formulas or definitive answers for many of the questions.

So either probably is OK.

That said, there is a category of temporary immigration which can lead to permanent residency for an in-home "caregiver," meaning an individual who comes to Canada specifically to be employed as a care-giver for someone in Canada who needs such care. I do not know if this includes nanny employment or not (I suspect not but I am not well acquainted with this aspect of immigration). In any event, this is different from the care-giver role of a parent or family member.
Thanks @dpenabill
I got your point. Appreciated.
Arise

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
Hello all !

Q.11 - I was on a job , got injury at home and had to apply for medical EI. Employer also terminated me as I was unable to carry out the job.I got medical EI for almost six months. Now should I just say unemployed for this period OR I have to mention that I was on medical EI. Or I should write a note on a separate paper explaining what happened during these six months, and that I was getting EI as well.

Please advise !

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Hi guys, two quick questions:

1) If your residential address is different from your mailing address (different case processing centre), which centre processes your application? My application has been in process for a while but there's no indication as to which processing centre it's at.

2) If you inform CIC that you're moving your residential address to the jurisdiction of another case processing centre, will your file be transferred to the new centre? (But mailing address will remain the same, and it's a different centre than the two others being discussed). And will that result in significant delays in your application? I'm thinking of moving in a few months (<100km) so I don't mind my case being handled at the current centre if it means I'll get my file processed faster.

Thanks

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Hi guys, two quick questions:

1) If your residential address is different from your mailing address (different case processing centre), which centre processes your application? My application has been in process for a while but there's no indication as to which processing centre it's at.

2) If you inform CIC that you're moving your residential address to the jurisdiction of another case processing centre, will your file be transferred to the new centre? (But mailing address will remain the same, and it's a different centre than the two others being discussed). And will that result in significant delays in your application? I'm thinking of moving in a few months (<100km) so I don't mind my case being handled at the current centre if it means I'll get my file processed faster.

Thanks
For (1.): you can phone IRCC to ask which processing office your application's either been slated for or has already been referred/forwarded/sent to. IRCC can then give you the phone/fax/mailing address of that office if you want to make a change. For (2.): you can use the WebForm to advise IRCC of changes to your address(es).

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
For (1.): you can phone IRCC to ask which processing office your application's either been slated for or has already been referred/forwarded/sent to. IRCC can then give you the phone/fax/mailing address of that office if you want to make a change. For (2.): you can use the WebForm to advise IRCC of changes to your address(es).
Thanks for your reply, but regarding #2, I know I'm supposed to inform IRCC of change in address, but I'm worried that it would be at the expense of me delaying my application and I wonder whether it's worth it if I move after I've completed my test and possibly had DM

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Hello all !

Q.11 - I was on a job , got injury at home and had to apply for medical EI. Employer also terminated me as I was unable to carry out the job.I got medical EI for almost six months. Now should I just say unemployed for this period OR I have to mention that I was on medical EI. Or I should write a note on a separate paper explaining what happened during these six months, and that I was getting EI as well.

Please advise !
In my case, I have been working for my current employer since July 2013 but at the end of November 2017 I stopped work for parental leave as my wife and I had our second baby in early December 2017. As far as I'm concerned I'm still employed by my employer so I'll write 07/2017-Present for that and 12/2017-Present for my EI Parental Leave.
I think IRCC can easily see if you've been receiving benefits so I'd document it in the employment section. If you've been laid off by your company, did they give you a Record of Employment (ROE)? If so, use the date you last worked for them as your end date and list your EI from the date you applied for that, they should match with no gaps.

Last edited:

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Sorry if this has been asked already with regards which ID to copy and send in with the application. It looks like the PR card is fine to send but it has been known to have been refused earlier when the rules changed. As for driving licences, my licence will expire within the expected time frame of my application and have to be renewed, would this be an issue? I can't remember if New Brunswick lets you keep your old one or not, and if not I obviously wouldn't have the original to present to them at any interview etc. Anyone had any experience with this?

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks. Yes I do have ROE and I will insert those dates, its simple. But the question remains...should i just reflect "unemployed" OR I write unemployed and also mention that was under EI as well. Because I was under EI during the whole period till I got my next job.

In my case, I have been working for my current employer since July 2013 but at the end of November 2017 I stopped work for parental leave as my wife and I had our second baby in early December 2017. As far as I'm concerned I'm still employed by my employer so I'll write 07/2017-Present for that and 12/2017-Present for my EI Parental Leave.
I think IRCC can easily see if you've been receiving benefits so I'd document it in the employment section. If you've been laid off by your company, did they give you a Record of Employment (ROE)? If so, use the date you last worked for them as your end date and list your EI from the date you applied for that, they should match with no gaps.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Another quick question... for my wife's proof of English language,... she did B.Com from back home and degree is in English. Does she need to get any letter from the uni that verifies that the medium of language used for B.Com degree was English OR she can simply attaché a degree copy. Please advise

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Thanks. Yes I do have ROE and I will insert those dates, its simple. But the question remains...should i just reflect "unemployed" OR I write unemployed and also mention that was under EI as well. Because I was under EI during the whole period till I got my next job.
If you were receiving EI then put that as its a source of income and will show on your tax information. Perhaps something like "Unemployed / EI - Work related injury" with dates etc.