+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

liacardenaz

Mar 23, 2018
Hi,
My husband was born in Brazil (he is a Brazilian citizen) but he also has an Italian citizenship.
In the Canadian form for the citizenship application, at question 13, it asks if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada and what month and year it happened. The thing is that he was a kid when his mother applied to his Italian citizenship and he doesn't know when he obtained it. I asked around and no one from his family knows it too.
How should we fill the form in this question? Someone with the same issue?
Thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
ALERT REGARDING APPLICATION FORM REVISION:

Two items in the application form which have triggered many many FAQs are items 9.c. (did you live abroad during the eligibility period), and item 10.b. (police certificate required for total of 183 or more days spent in another country during the preceding four years) HAVE BEEN REVISED IN THE NEW CIT 0002 (01-2019) VERSION OF THE APPLICATION.

In particular:

Item 9.c. regarding living abroad during the eligibility period:

A big change for long problematic item 9.c. At last IRCC has revised this item to clearly ask about living outside Canada during the eligibility period "as a crown servant or with your spouse or common law partner or parent who was a crown servant."

There are numerous topics in this forum specifically asking about how to respond to the former version of 9.c. precisely because it was confusing . . . IRCC was looking for responses to the item as it is currently asked in CIT 0002 (01-2019) but in previous versions of the application it asked if the applicant lived outside Canada during the eligibility period, which many applicants did but NOT as crown servants. Good change long overdue.

Item 10.b. regarding police certificate requirements:

This includes a couple big changes.

The first is that the NEW instructions specifically state that "If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."

This is good news for scores of applicants who could not understand why they would need to provide a police certificate when they essentially had full background checks prior to coming to and landing in Canada. Caveat is that the language here is still fuzzy. Easy enough to figure out but any imprecision is bound to cause some confusion for at least some percentage of applicants.

The second change for this item is that it clearly instructs what constitutes a timely issued police certificate: either one issued SINCE the last time the applicant was in that country, or no more than six months before the application date. Conventional wisdom and many forum participants had expressed the view that certificates meeting these criteria would suffice, but now there is an explicit instruction stating this. Good to know.

Thank you for the Response Seym

I have another query. Can anyone help me understand when do we need to surrender our home country passport? Is it before oath ceremony or after?
If we take the oath, are we considered as Citizen right there or until we get passport?

The reason I am asking this is I need to travel around the time of oath ceremony to my home country. I am wondering if I can travel on my home country passport if I already took the oath.

Please advise.

Thank you
Grant of Canadian citizenship does NOT directly affect any other citizenship under Canadian law.

Any effect becoming a Canadian citizen has on other citizenship(s) an individual has depends on the laws of the country in which the new Canadian citizen has citizenship. So the validity of your current passport depends on the country that issued your other citizenship/passport. If that is still valid you can travel using that passport.

That said, Canadian citizens MUST present a Canadian passport in order to obtain permission to board an airline flight headed to Canada. Or apply for and be issued a special travel document. If the individual can travel via the U.S. that is one way to avoid having to apply for a special travel document.

In any event, other than presenting a Canadian passport to board a flight TO CANADA, Canadian law imposes NO restrictions on international travel by Canadian citizens.

maverick11

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO - file transferred to WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
Nomination.....
09-02-2015
AOR Received.
19-03-2015
Med's Request
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
Interview........
DM on 16-06-2015
Passport Req..
19-06-2015, Passport submitted 22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-07-2015
Would appreciate if someone can help answer my question regarding citizenship form question 12b. I moved to Canada in 2015. Do I enter it as below:

2018 -> required to file (yes) -> taxes files (no)
2017 -> required to file (yes) -> taxes files (yes)
2016 -> required to file (yes) -> taxes files (yes)
2015 -> required to file (yes) -> taxes files (yes)
2014 -> required to file (no) -> taxes files (no)

or like this:

meaning no mention of the fifth year since I was not in Canada.

And do I start with 2018 or 2017 ?

truthprev

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
Would appreciate if someone can help answer my question regarding citizenship form question 12b. I moved to Canada in 2015. Do I enter it as below:

2014 -> required to file (no) -> taxes files (no)

or like this:

meaning no mention of the fifth year since I was not in Canada.

And do I start with 2018 or 2017 ?
Start with 2018 and go with option b.

truthprev

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
Hi All,
The question that I am going to ask here, I had already asked in two forums and got two different answers and I am almost aligned with both the answers.. So, I am putting up my question here.
For Question 13 - Do you currently or have you ever held immigration on citizeship status in a country other than Canada..
I lived in an African Country for almost 2 years. I never got a work permit, or PR there for my stay. I could get 1 entry Visa of a month and then an extention Visa of 2 months. Then again a Visa similar to Entry Visa of a month and an extension visa of 2 months.. So like this for 2 years.
As I said above I got two answers in two different forum -
Answer 1 - Mention everything as is, it will save me from misrepresentation - So I made an annexure and listed all those Visas and it comes to like 20+ entries. While I was at it I was like included every single Visa that I got during that time duration for other countries as well where I went for like 1 month or so.
I am more inclined to this. What do you think?
Answer 2 - Consult an immigration lawyer. I am doing my search on whom to contact. But question to the forum is, will it be necessary?

Another thing - What do you think is the purpose of this question. Is it like IRCC just want us to declare the status and that's it or they are going to verify some how? I think this is more so just a declaration that they want from us becuase they are not asking us to provide the photocpies of the PR cards from other countires, or photocopies of the VISA pages for that matter not even the document number. If I am right in my theory here then I think that Annexure with those 20+ entries would suffice and they may even ignore it as over explanation.
I should not have any issues I hope becuase to get my PR in first place I had to give PCC from those countries.
Than you in advance for your response.
@spyfy If you are still around, and could chip in that would be really appericiated. I knew that you had made this forum with the FAQs. I did not save the link and it took me like a day to find this page to see if you have put in something for question number 13. Thank you so much in advance for this forum, can call me your silent admirer:)

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi All,
The question that I am going to ask here, I had already asked in two forums and got two different answers and I am almost aligned with both the answers.. So, I am putting up my question here.
For Question 13 - Do you currently or have you ever held immigration on citizeship status in a country other than Canada..
I lived in an African Country for almost 2 years. I never got a work permit, or PR there for my stay. I could get 1 entry Visa of a month and then an extention Visa of 2 months. Then again a Visa similar to Entry Visa of a month and an extension visa of 2 months.. So like this for 2 years.
As I said above I got two answers in two different forum -
Answer 1 - Mention everything as is, it will save me from misrepresentation - So I made an annexure and listed all those Visas and it comes to like 20+ entries. While I was at it I was like included every single Visa that I got during that time duration for other countries as well where I went for like 1 month or so.
I am more inclined to this. What do you think?
Answer 2 - Consult an immigration lawyer. I am doing my search on whom to contact. But question to the forum is, will it be necessary?

Another thing - What do you think is the purpose of this question. Is it like IRCC just want us to declare the status and that's it or they are going to verify some how? I think this is more so just a declaration that they want from us becuase they are not asking us to provide the photocpies of the PR cards from other countires, or photocopies of the VISA pages for that matter not even the document number. If I am right in my theory here then I think that Annexure with those 20+ entries would suffice and they may even ignore it as over explanation.
I should not have any issues I hope becuase to get my PR in first place I had to give PCC from those countries.
Than you in advance for your response.
@spyfy If you are still around, and could chip in that would be really appericiated. I knew that you had made this forum with the FAQs. I did not save the link and it took me like a day to find this page to see if you have put in something for question number 13. Thank you so much in advance for this forum, can call me your silent admirer:)
First of all: "misrepresentation" is a word tossed around a lot. Just unknowingly making some mistake in a form is NOT misrepresentation. It's just that, an error. So no need to be worried about that unlesss you in fact intentionally withhold information or state wrong facts.

Now about your question: Let's assume you lived in Wakanda (because Black Panther is an awesome movie, but that's a different story :) )

Immigration status is more than "just a visa". If, say, you got a visa to visit a country for five days or something, it's not to be listed here. It is as it is with most things in these forms: There is no clear black and white category (even the definition of "having lived somewhere" which is relevant for many questions on the form is unclear). What I'm saying is: Make sure that the officer has a clear picture of what you have been up to, in whatever way you seem fit.

Since you lived in Wakanda for quite a while, I would list it as a status in question 12. This is the reasonable thing to do since you actually lived there for a while. List your status as "Visitor" since that's what you had according to your details. Then attach a (short!) explantion to the application just clarifying that you were living there on visitor status since you never worked or studied there.

It seems that while you were living in Wakanda you also visited some other countries. It seems that you didn't really live there, just got a visitor visa to say "hello". I would not list those. Just visiting a country for a bit is not relevant for that question.

There is one certain misunderstanding that you are making: The question asks you for status in a country, not for the visas. So if you had, say, ten consecutive visas for a single country (re-re-re-new), you don't have to list them separately. You simply had a specific status in that country for that whole period. Let me give you an analogy: If they asked for your citizenship, would you list every single passport that you ever had? Of course not. You would list the citizenship as a single entry.

So, assuming you lived in Wakanda continuously for 2 years, there should be a single line in your form for Wakanda.

About your section question: Why do they ask this stuff? The same reason why the ask all the other stuff, they want to look at your file and understand if your background story "checks out". Does your address history match your immigration and work history and so on? For example, say you listed that you worked in South Africa for a year in the last five years, but you are neither a SA citizen nor do you list an immigration status in SA, something is weird about your file.

It is a recurring theme for all things immigration: It is hard to make up a consistent story, but it is easy to answer detailed questions about a a true story. It's the same effect when, at the border, an officer asks you seemingly unimportant detailed questions. If you say "I'm visiting a friend" at the border and the officer asks you "how do you know that friend", you should be able to answer immediately. If you need to think for a while, it seems like you are making up a story, if you know what I mean. Detailed questions reveal the liar :)

Also, I really do not think that you need an immigration lawyer. Even for PR, it usually is overkill. But citizenship is such a straightforward process, it would IMHO be a complete waste of money to employ a lawyer unless you have a very peculiar case (e.g. if you got PR as a refugee but then went back to the country you saught refuge from or stuff).

Most importantly, of course, I am not a professional, I'm just someone with a thing for government forms and some decent experience. So in the end, you have to make the call. If you feel more comfortable listing all 20 items on a separate sheet, I don't think there is anything wrong with that either. I just think it's more than what they are asking of you.

truthprev

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
First of all: "misrepresentation" is a word tossed around a lot. Just unknowingly making some mistake in a form is NOT misrepresentation. It's just that, an error. So no need to be worried about that unlesss you in fact intentionally withhold information or state wrong facts.

Now about your question: Let's assume you lived in Wakanda (because Black Panther is an awesome movie, but that's a different story :) )

Immigration status is more than "just a visa". If, say, you got a visa to visit a country for five days or something, it's not to be listed here. It is as it is with most things in these forms: There is no clear black and white category (even the definition of "having lived somewhere" which is relevant for many questions on the form is unclear). What I'm saying is: Make sure that the officer has a clear picture of what you have been up to, in whatever way you seem fit.

Since you lived in Wakanda for quite a while, I would list it as a status in question 12. This is the reasonable thing to do since you actually lived there for a while. List your status as "Visitor" since that's what you had according to your details. Then attach a (short!) explantion to the application just clarifying that you were living there on visitor status since you never worked or studied there.

It seems that while you were living in Wakanda you also visited some other countries. It seems that you didn't really live there, just got a visitor visa to say "hello". I would not list those. Just visiting a country for a bit is not relevant for that question.

There is one certain misunderstanding that you are making: The question asks you for status in a country, not for the visas. So if you had, say, ten consecutive visas for a single country (re-re-re-new), you don't have to list them separately. You simply had a specific status in that country for that whole period. Let me give you an analogy: If they asked for your citizenship, would you list every single passport that you ever had? Of course not. You would list the citizenship as a single entry.

So, assuming you lived in Wakanda continuously for 2 years, there should be a single line in your form for Wakanda.

About your section question: Why do they ask this stuff? The same reason why the ask all the other stuff, they want to look at your file and understand if your background story "checks out". Does your address history match your immigration and work history and so on? For example, say you listed that you worked in South Africa for a year in the last five years, but you are neither a SA citizen nor do you list an immigration status in SA, something is weird about your file.

It is a recurring theme for all things immigration: It is hard to make up a consistent story, but it is easy to answer detailed questions about a a true story. It's the same effect when, at the border, an officer asks you seemingly unimportant detailed questions. If you say "I'm visiting a friend" at the border and the officer asks you "how do you know that friend", you should be able to answer immediately. If you need to think for a while, it seems like you are making up a story, if you know what I mean. Detailed questions reveal the liar :)

Also, I really do not think that you need an immigration lawyer. Even for PR, it usually is overkill. But citizenship is such a straightforward process, it would IMHO be a complete waste of money to employ a lawyer unless you have a very peculiar case (e.g. if you got PR as a refugee but then went back to the country you saught refuge from or stuff).

Most importantly, of course, I am not a professional, I'm just someone with a thing for government forms and some decent experience. So in the end, you have to make the call. If you feel more comfortable listing all 20 items on a separate sheet, I don't think there is anything wrong with that either. I just think it's more than what they are asking of you.
Thank you for such a detalied answer, very overwhelming in good sense:)... Bravo!!!!

If my mind was made up 50% earlier, now it is 98%. One thing that I may not have made that obvious in my question is that I did indeed work in those countries and it was from 2005 to 2010. The catch here is, the company that I was working for did not have an office in these countries and later it had but due to very complicated Work Permit and PR rules, we just used to manage with Visitor Visas and after it's expiry extension visas with reasons of extension, sometimes Business, somtimes Work, sometimes Mission. Like one can say technically it's wrong that I worked on a Vistor Visa but then I think it is ok in the eyes of IRCC becuase I would not have gotten the PR in first place in 2014 and obviously I did produce PCC from these countires at that point in time.

So, this is my elephant in the room(pun unintended), Do you think IRCC would care!?!! In other words, chances of rejection?

Thank you again for your suggestion, based on which I am going to fill the form like this.

1) Country of Birth, fill the form as is no issues there.
2) Country A - status => Refer to Annexure A(which would have an explation as to why the need of an annexure and underneath a table with all the visa types), Start date=> the date I enterd that Country, End date => The date I left that country.
3) Country B status => Refer to Annexure B this was a 3 months visa so I can put a start date and date.
4) Country B again. After the 3 months Visitor Visa I managed to get a Resident Permit of 2 years, so I will mention that as is. No Annexure.

Earlier I was just gonna go with my country of birth and this Country B Resident Permit.. but may be I overhtought, and may be for good, I asked here and going to use as I said above unless you deem otherwise.

A huge thank you again..
Eagerly awaiting your response. For that matter from others too, because not everybody had had a straight forward life!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you for such a detalied answer, very overwhelming in good sense:)... Bravo!!!!

If my mind was made up 50% earlier, now it is 98%. One thing that I may not have made that obvious in my question is that I did indeed work in those countries and it was from 2005 to 2010. The catch here is, the company that I was working for did not have an office in these countries and later it had but due to very complicated Work Permit and PR rules, we just used to manage with Visitor Visas and after it's expiry extension visas with reasons of extension, sometimes Business, somtimes Work, sometimes Mission. Like one can say technically it's wrong that I worked on a Vistor Visa but then I think it is ok in the eyes of IRCC becuase I would not have gotten the PR in first place in 2014 and obviously I did produce PCC from these countires at that point in time.

So, this is my elephant in the room(pun unintended), Do you think IRCC would care!?!! In other words, chances of rejection?

Thank you again for your suggestion, based on which I am going to fill the form like this.

1) Country of Birth, fill the form as is no issues there.
2) Country A - status => Refer to Annexure A(which would have an explation as to why the need of an annexure and underneath a table with all the visa types), Start date=> the date I enterd that Country, End date => The date I left that country.
3) Country B status => Refer to Annexure B this was a 3 months visa so I can put a start date and date.
4) Country B again. After the 3 months Visitor Visa I managed to get a Resident Permit of 2 years, so I will mention that as is. No Annexure.

Earlier I was just gonna go with my country of birth and this Country B Resident Permit.. but may be I overhtought, and may be for good, I asked here and going to use as I said above unless you deem otherwise.

A huge thank you again..
Eagerly awaiting your response. For that matter from others too, because not everybody had had a straight forward life!
Sounds like a good plan. As mentioned, the most important thing is:
  • Explain on a separate sheet if necessary.
  • But be as brief as possible. The case worker doesn't want to have to read through many paragraphs and most likely they won't care that much anyways. So keeping the explanation for ALL the lines 2/3/4 to a total of 4/5 sentences is a good idea in my opinion.

Lost in pr

Jan 21, 2016
Hi I've gone through most of this thread but cant find a definite answer to question 9b .my eligibility period is 2014 -2019 I have had 3 work permits in this period no lapse. before my pr so do I have to put down all there dates obtained and expired or just my landing date and date I received my pr. ? I have read also I can put my eligibility period from my physical presence calculator down here. Thanks for any help.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi there, sorry I can't answer the question above, but I do have one of my own...

when I was landing as a pr (april 2017) the copr had my first/last entry dates wrong but I was told I can land without correcting that mistake, which I did. And I never did correct it. Now soon I will be due to apply for citizenship and I am wondering which dates for my first entry should I put down in the tesidency questionnaire on the IRRC website, the one that is correct (May 2014) or the one that is stated on mu copr (June 2015)? This will not affect my residence requirement (I won't be applying for another little while), but I am at a bit of a loss as to what is now expected.... your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

upandgoing

Star Member
Mar 9, 2018
Hi there, sorry I can't answer the question above, but I do have one of my own...

when I was landing as a pr (april 2017) the copr had my first/last entry dates wrong but I was told I can land without correcting that mistake, which I did. And I never did correct it. Now soon I will be due to apply for citizenship and I am wondering which dates for my first entry should I put down in the tesidency questionnaire on the IRRC website, the one that is correct (May 2014) or the one that is stated on mu copr (June 2015)? This will not affect my residence requirement (I won't be applying for another little while), but I am at a bit of a loss as to what is now expected.... your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
You have to put your real entry date. The date which is correct. And you can get your COPR corrected, that is not a problem.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I will put the correct date then, thanks!

Btw, do I *have to* correct my copr? Do you think I should before I apply for citizenship? (I landed April 2017)... I was told at the time that these dates aren't really important, unless the citizenship residency requirement will hinge on them, which it will not...frankly, I don't feel like going to the trouble if it's not necessary (enough that I will have to apply for a new pr card due to name change;)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

Btw, do I *have to* correct my copr? Do you think I should before I apply for citizenship? (I landed April 2017)... I was told at the time that these dates aren't really important, unless the citizenship residency requirement will hinge on them, which it will not...frankly, I don't feel like going to the trouble if it's not necessary (enough that I will have to apply for a new pr card due to name change;)
You never know if some future government, even in 20 years might all of a sudden care very much about these details (e.g. for social benefits). It will cost you about an hour of work to submit the application to correct your CoPR. I would encourage you to do it.

The CoPR is one of your most important immigration documents, even after receiving Citizenship. Do you really want to have wrong entries just because some random IRCC employee told you that it doesn't matter?

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Hi,
My husband was born in Brazil (he is a Brazilian citizen) but he also has an Italian citizenship.
In the Canadian form for the citizenship application, at question 13, it asks if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada and what month and year it happened. The thing is that he was a kid when his mother applied to his Italian citizenship and he doesn't know when he obtained it. I asked around and no one from his family knows it too.
How should we fill the form in this question? Someone with the same issue?
Thanks.
My 2 cents...
As far as I know, Everybody in the same family that receive the Italian citizenship should have pass to the same process because it was done per family name.. I know it because a Brazilian friend only received his Italian citizenship through a process started by an uncle/aunt.

your husband/relatives could check at the Italian consulate (in Brazil). Probably his mother did it in Sao Paulo or Curitiba...
The Italian citizenship can take 8 or 14 years to receive after the process started (Brazil).

https://www.ferraracidadaniaitaliana.com.br/cidadania-italiana-quanto-tempo-demora
https://www.ferraracidadaniaitaliana.com.br/cidadania-italiana-certidao-nao-renuncia

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016

I requested for my CoPR to be corrected.