+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

Mbaka

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hello All,

I am a bit worried about Police Cert. Landed from Saudi in Sept 2014, went back after 3 weeks and returned again June 2015. Am I stock? How do I go about a police cert in Saudi Arabia? no longer a resident there. No iqama. who will listen to me? Please anyone with this challenge or has crossed this bridge. Help please

dawn_canada

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Nomination.....
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-12-2014
File Transfer...
31-10-2015
Med's Request
24-02-2015
Med's Done....
06-03-2015 - 3rd Line updated on 17-03-2015, RPRF and PCC received to VO on 23-03-2015
Interview........
Seems waived.
Passport Req..
30-07-2015 and submitted on 31-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-08-2015
Visited home country for few weeks - does this visit require police clearance certificate?

I know, this number is not bigger than 183 days - but some were suggesting that this visit of few weeks + older visits, number can go more than 183 days hence require police clearance certificate.

This seems to be very unlikely but just want to know - how others think?

frange

May 25, 2018
Visited home country for few weeks - does this visit require police clearance certificate?

I know, this number is not bigger than 183 days - but some were suggesting that this visit of few weeks + older visits, number can go more than 183 days hence require police clearance certificate.

This seems to be very unlikely but just want to know - how others think?
Calculate all you trips that you did during the last 4 years in a particular country, such as your home country. If the total is equivalent to 183 days or more, police certificate is required

dawn_canada

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
Nomination.....
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-12-2014
File Transfer...
31-10-2015
Med's Request
24-02-2015
Med's Done....
06-03-2015 - 3rd Line updated on 17-03-2015, RPRF and PCC received to VO on 23-03-2015
Interview........
Seems waived.
Passport Req..
30-07-2015 and submitted on 31-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-08-2015
Calculate all you trips that you did during the last 4 years in a particular country, such as your home country. If the total is equivalent to 183 days or more, police certificate is required
I am in agreement too with this answer - Thank you!

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@spyfy I had followed this thread (and the Bill C6 Progress threads) keenly, and benefited hugely from your experience and research. Your OP summary (FAQ) had helped me navigate those tricky questions in the new application form.

I had my oath yesterday, and just wanted to thank you for your contributions in this forum.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
@spyfy I had followed this thread (and the Bill C6 Progress threads) keenly, and benefited hugely from your experience and research. Your OP summary (FAQ) had helped me navigate those tricky questions in the new application form.

I had my oath yesterday, and just wanted to thank you for your contributions in this forum.
Thanks, I appreciate it your feedback! Looking forward to joining you "on the other side" myself soon :)

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, I appreciate it your feedback! Looking forward to joining you "on the other side" myself soon :)
Hang in there...It's all about being patient and holding it together...Good luck, and for sure you would be "on the other side" really soon!

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I absolutely love this forum and I managed to get my PR with the help of all the members here and that was 3 years ago and I think it’s time to apply for my citizenship.

So, I feel like I know everything I know according to the CIC website but let me summarize here and check with you guys as well. Now sadly I’ve had to travel a lot outside the country due to work (head office of the company is in the US and I’ve done over 20 trips around 60/70 days outside the country)

Here is what I think I need:

- Inside the country for 1095 days = 3yrs
- English language = I can use the same one that I used for my PR 3yrs ago
- Filled taxes = I’ve filled them for 2016,2017 awaiting to file for 2018 but how do I show this? Do they just type my SIN and I don’t have to give them any document?
- and of course pay them money $$$ (application fees)

Next steps...

- I get an invite for the test
- pass it then wait for the oath
- apply for a passport if you want one ?

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Now sadly because of work I really need to have a valid passport and my current country allows me to have dual citizenship so I’m planning to keep my current passport and get a Canadian passport. Do you guys know the average time line of the complete process ? 3-6months? Or less ?

Thank you for all your help

sloboswede

Jul 30, 2013
Hi,
I have taken online classes (Coursera) as well as studied and sat for certifications (Microsoft) when not employed. Does this count as "school"or should I put "unemployed" in the activity history list?
Also, I can't find a direct email to either Coursera or Microsoft, will a link to a contact form or similar do?
Thanks,

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Hello everyone,

I absolutely love this forum and I managed to get my PR with the help of all the members here and that was 3 years ago and I think it’s time to apply for my citizenship.

So, I feel like I know everything I know according to the CIC website but let me summarize here and check with you guys as well. Now sadly I’ve had to travel a lot outside the country due to work (head office of the company is in the US and I’ve done over 20 trips around 60/70 days outside the country)

Here is what I think I need:

- Inside the country for 1095 days = 3yrs
- English language = I can use the same one that I used for my PR 3yrs ago
- Filled taxes = I’ve filled them for 2016,2017 awaiting to file for 2018 but how do I show this? Do they just type my SIN and I don’t have to give them any document?
- and of course pay them money $$$ (application fees)

Next steps...

- I get an invite for the test
- pass it then wait for the oath
- apply for a passport if you want one ?

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Now sadly because of work I really need to have a valid passport and my current country allows me to have dual citizenship so I’m planning to keep my current passport and get a Canadian passport. Do you guys know the average time line of the complete process ? 3-6months? Or less ?

Thank you for all your help
To answer 2 questions -

Passport - Once you take your oath and become a citizen you must get a Canadian passport if you want to travel outside of Canada. You cannot re-enter Canada without one. After you take the oath and you apply for your passport it takes a few weeks to process the application. You can of course request and pay for expedited processing if you have a trip coming up and you need to get it quickly but you'll need to prove that to them. Actually going to a passport office and applying in person is the quickest way of doing it. Don't send by mail or go through a Service Canada location.

Taxes - You don't necessarily have to file a tax return every year during your eligibility period. You only have to prove that you complied with the tax laws. So for example if you weren't required to file a return and you didn't file one you are ok as you followed the rules.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Passport - Once you take your oath and become a citizen you must get a Canadian passport if you want to travel outside of Canada. You cannot re-enter Canada without one.
I do not mean to take away from your otherwise informative post, but this particular statement needs clarification. And the import of your observation is indeed a valid one: naturalized citizens should obtain a Canadian passport if they intend to travel outside Canada.

And in a general sense, both the naturalized Canadian citizen and any other Canadian citizen need a Canadian passport to TRAVEL back to Canada. Albeit a Canadian citizen abroad without a Canadian passport can obtain a special travel document from a visa office in order to facilitate traveling to Canada.

BUT Canadian citizens do NOT need a Canadian passport to enter Canada.

A Canadian citizen has a CHARTER right to enter Canada. No particular documents are necessary. (PRs have a statutory entitlement to enter Canada.)

The Canadian passport, like a PR card for PRs, is necessary when traveling to Canada using COMMERCIAL TRANSPORTATION. It is required, for example, to obtain permission to board an airline headed to Canada.

Canadian citizens with the status and means to travel via the U.S., for a different example, can enter Canada at a U.S./Canadian PoE without a Canadian passport.

Reactions: carl321

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
I do not mean to take away from your otherwise informative post, but this particular statement needs clarification. And the import of your observation is indeed a valid one: naturalized citizens should obtain a Canadian passport if they intend to travel outside Canada.

And in a general sense, both the naturalized Canadian citizen and any other Canadian citizen need a Canadian passport to TRAVEL back to Canada. Albeit a Canadian citizen abroad without a Canadian passport can obtain a special travel document from a visa office in order to facilitate traveling to Canada.

BUT Canadian citizens do NOT need a Canadian passport to enter Canada.

A Canadian citizen has a CHARTER right to enter Canada. No particular documents are necessary. (PRs have a statutory entitlement to enter Canada.)

The Canadian passport, like a PR card for PRs, is necessary when traveling to Canada using COMMERCIAL TRANSPORTATION. It is required, for example, to obtain permission to board an airline headed to Canada.

Canadian citizens with the status and means to travel via the U.S., for a different example, can enter Canada at a U.S./Canadian PoE without a Canadian passport.
Thank you for an excellent clarification.

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-08-2014
Nomination.....
27-11-2014
Med's Request
24 jan 2015
Med's Done....
4th Feb 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22 june 2015
VISA ISSUED...
30 june 2015
Hi All,

My application package is ready to send. I would like to take your advise on below:

1) Is it ok If I put 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 in tax column, But in 2018 i marked "yes" required to file and "No" did not filed ( as I have still not received tax docs for year 2018). will it be ok?
2) Do I have to give PR and COPR and health card copies as well with passport copy?
3) Do I have to mention my name on back of photo?

Please advise.
Thanks

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi All,

My application package is ready to send. I would like to take your advise on below:

1) Is it ok If I put 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 in tax column, But in 2018 i marked "yes" required to file and "No" did not filed ( as I have still not received tax docs for year 2018). will it be ok?
2) Do I have to give PR and COPR and health card copies as well with passport copy?
3) Do I have to mention my name on back of photo?

Please advise.
Thanks
1) Yeah it's OK. They know you can't file it this early.
2) PR and COPR copies are not required for the application package. Health card, as an ID, sure...
3) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-application-photograph-specifications.html

Reactions: avatar111

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-08-2014
Nomination.....
27-11-2014
Med's Request
24 jan 2015
Med's Done....
4th Feb 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22 june 2015
VISA ISSUED...
30 june 2015
Thank you for the Response Seym

I have another query. Can anyone help me understand when do we need to surrender our home country passport? Is it before oath ceremony or after?
If we take the oath, are we considered as Citizen right there or until we get passport?

The reason I am asking this is I need to travel around the time of oath ceremony to my home country. I am wondering if I can travel on my home country passport if I already took the oath.

Please advise.

Thank you