+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

Monkeybar

Oct 12, 2017
Here is my situation.

I was on a maternity leave from 01 June 2015 to 31 may 2016 and during this period, i went to India and stayed there for 5 months.

Below are my questions.

1. What should I mention in Physical Presence Calculator for this duration - Should i need to mention as visited family members or vacation?
2. In CIT0002E, for 10a do i need to call out the Indian address for 5 months
3. For 10b, it is more than 183 days during my eligibility period (since i made couple of trips to India apart from these 5 months). i have selected Yes but it is asking for explanation what should i put?
4. For 11, since i was on Maternity leave do i need to select employed or unemployed (i was getting EI for that duration). And i am working in the same company from 2012 to present.

Please suggest?
Hi, I have the same situation :)
I was on mat leave and went to US to see my family for 4 months ( and just to be clear I am not US resident)
So I ended up putting "Family Matter" in physical presence form

For 10a i did not indicate my vacation address because I do not permanently reside there and it's just vacation address (although I did mention it #11)

For 10b I checked NO because In the past 4 years preceding the date of my application I have only 170 days cumulative
For 11 I put "Unemployed (1 year maternity leave)" ((although my employer kept my job for me for that 1 year so I do not agree to label this period as "unemployment" but who cares what I think , right?? :))

and as for the physical address during my maternity leave I put my regular home address and in brackets I added that I was physically present at my US family address during the family visit {dates}).

Not sure if it helps but this is what I did on my app :)

thisisalagar

Aug 13, 2013
I was on mat leave and went to US to see my family for 4 months ( and just to be clear I am not US resident)

For 10a i did not indicate my vacation address because I do not permanently reside there and it's just vacation address (although I did mention it #11)

For 10b I checked NO because In the past 4 years preceding the date of my application I have only 170 days cumulative
For 11 I put "Unemployed (1 year maternity leave)" ((although my employer kept my job for me for that 1 year so I do not agree to label this period as "unemployment" but who cares what I think , right?? :))

and as for the physical address during my maternity leave I put my regular home address and in brackets I added that I was physically present at my US family address during the family visit {dates}).

Thanks for your reply,
just wanted to know what exactly you mentioned in #11

Last edited:

Monkeybar

Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for your reply,

just wanted to know what exactly you mentioned in #11
from {2014-01}, to {2015-01}, name of employer {unemployed (1 year maternity leave)},occupation I put the same {unemployed(1 year maternity leave)}, where were you physically located {canadian residential address (please note: from 2014-04-01 to 2014-08-01 I was visiting family in US so my physical location was ..full foreign address .....), city {Markham}, country {Canada}, name of contact, phone, email {i left building superintendent contacts, who can confirm my residential address)

I am not entirely sure if I need to mention my vacation address at all...but 4 months is kinda a lot so I'd rather be upfront about it.... and this box of the chart looks disproportionally big because of all the text...
but again, if this info is not relevant -it's ok, they will just disregard it, but I have my piece of mind :)

if you have any other ideas - let me know. I havent sent my app yet and I can make corrections

thisisalagar

Aug 13, 2013
from {2014-01}, to {2015-01}, name of employer {unemployed (1 year maternity leave)},occupation I put the same {unemployed(1 year maternity leave)}, where were you physically located {canadian residential address (please note: from 2014-04-01 to 2014-08-01 I was visiting family in US so my physical location was ..full foreign address .....), city {Markham}, country {Canada}, name of contact, phone, email {i left building superintendent contacts, who can confirm my residential address)

I am not entirely sure if I need to mention my vacation address at all...but 4 months is kinda a lot so I'd rather be upfront about it.... and this box of the chart looks disproportionally big because of all the text...
but again, if this info is not relevant -it's ok, they will just disregard it, but I have my piece of mind :)

if you have any other ideas - let me know. I havent sent my app yet and I can make corrections
I believe experts in this forum can advise us.

@spyfy - Can you please provide your suggestions.

Reactions: Monkeybar

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Here is my situation.

I was on a maternity leave from 01 June 2015 to 31 may 2016 and during this period, i went to India and stayed there for 5 months.

Below are my questions.

1. What should I mention in Physical Presence Calculator for this duration - Should i need to mention as visited family members or vacation?
2. In CIT0002E, for 10a do i need to call out the Indian address for 5 months
3. For 10b, it is more than 183 days during my eligibility period (since i made couple of trips to India apart from these 5 months). i have selected Yes but it is asking for explanation what should i put?
4. For 11, since i was on Maternity leave do i need to select employed or unemployed (i was getting EI for that duration). And i am working in the same company from 2012 to present.

Please suggest?
1. You are assuming there is some "perfect wording" or "magic wording". No worries, simply explain it in your words. Just give an understandable reason why you left the country. Any reason is fine (as long as it's not "selling drugs to finance a money laundering business" :) ). Use your own words, don't overthink it, really. Personally I wouldn't call it a vacation. I mean it's not like you were chilling at a beach or something.
2. There is no clear line of what is "residing in a country". I would say being out of the country for five months and living back at your country of origin is more residing than just visiting. I would add that address.
3. Read the question carefully. You only need to provide an explanation if you can't provide a police certificate. So simply list "India" as a country and for the explanation just write nothing or "Police certificate attached".
4. Again there is no ultimate truth. It's not that you can only pick the word "unemployed" or "employed". Why don't you just write "maternity leave"? They will understand.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

The most important thing is that it is clear what you did. There is no "ideal wording". If you are unsure if you should provide your American address or not simply attach a short explanation on a separate sheet listing the address and explaining just that: You were visiting family for an extended amount of time during maternity leave so you weren't sure if you should list it as an address or not. I say that often but just keep in mind that these are humans reading your forms. Don't be too concerned with "gaming" the perfect answer. Just make sure there is no misunderstanding. And an extra explanation sheet can make sure about exactly that.

For 11 just write something that makes sense. "Unemployment (1 year maternity leave)" is totally fine. There is no misunderstanding there. And that is what matters. They don't care if you consider yourself employed or unemployed during maternity leave. They just want to know what you did.

Reactions: Monkeybar

sivabalan

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013
@spyfy

Hi Spyfy,

Need your guidance, please.

My application got returned after 3 weeks, saying it is incomplete. I sent the whole package along with my family's application but, only mine was mentioned as in-complete and they have provided two options: 1. To resubmit within 90 days time or apply for a refund of fees.

I missed to fill my SIN and that's the blunder mistake I made.

In the the return package, they have clearly mentioned that my family's application are all complete. They have stapled the photos on the application too with CIC seal on it, and returned that along. On my application, they have highlighted the portion that is incomplete. Now, I have a doubt whether I need to refill all my family's applications and re-submit or re-fill-up only my application and send it again along with the other, already returned family application. Could you please help me, if you know about the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
@spyfy

Hi Spyfy,

Need your guidance, please.

My application got returned after 3 weeks, saying it is incomplete. I sent the whole package along with my family's application but, only mine was mentioned as in-complete and they have provided two options: 1. To resubmit within 90 days time or apply for a refund of fees.

I missed to fill my SIN and that's the blunder mistake I made.

In the the return package, they have clearly mentioned that my family's application are all complete. They have stapled the photos on the application too with CIC seal on it, and returned that along. On my application, they have highlighted the portion that is incomplete. Now, I have a doubt whether I need to refill all my family's applications and re-submit or re-fill-up only my application and send it again along with the other, already returned family application. Could you please help me, if you know about the procedure.

Thanks in advance.
So sorry to hear about your issue. To me it makes sense you just send your application as they have not sent back the other applications. But wait for spyfy confirmation.

I have a question for you: have they told you to re-do your days calculation for yourself for cit0002 and presence calculator or you can re-send the same application according to the days (prescribed period) that you originally sent your application? (By just adding you SIN number)

sivabalan

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2013
LANDED..........
20-09-2013
So sorry to hear about your issue. To me it makes sense you just send your application as they have not sent back the other applications. But wait for spyfy confirmation.

I have a question for you: have they told you to re-do your days calculation for yourself for cit0002 and presence calculator or you can re-send the same application according to the days (prescribed period) that you originally sent your application? (By just adding you SIN number)
No they did not say anything like that. Below is the exact text on the letter:

========================================================

Your application for Canadian Citizenship was considered incomplete and was not processed and fees were not taken. Your application and proof of payment are therefore returned to you for the following reasons:

* Your application is incomplete or missing information. Incomplete sections have been highlighted on your application. See section "Step 4 - Complete the application" in the instruction guide.

Please see the following page (Annex A) for options available to you. Choose one of the two options.

===========Annex A=======================================

1. Submitting a complete application Please check (Tick) on the statement below, sign, date and return this Annex A and your application to the mailing address indicated below.

If you choose Option 1, your application package will first be reviewed to ensure it is complete. If your application package is still incomplete, it will not be processed and be returned to you with the proof of payment.

I wish to resubmit an application for a grant of citizenship. I have included:

-> The completed application form submitted in October 2017 or a later version of the application form (as indicated in the lower left corner of the form)
-> All the required documents based on the Document checklist of the form for a grant of citizenship (CIT-0002)
-> the proof of payment

Note: If your application was returned for not having the required physical presence in Canada, you must complete a new application form with a new physical presence calculator printout.

2. Requesting a refund: If you are requesting a refund, please see the following website for further instrution: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/refund.asp

==========================================================

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
No they did not say anything like that. Below is the exact text on the letter:

========================================================

Your application for Canadian Citizenship was considered incomplete and was not processed and fees were not taken. Your application and proof of payment are therefore returned to you for the following reasons:

* Your application is incomplete or missing information. Incomplete sections have been highlighted on your application. See section "Step 4 - Complete the application" in the instruction guide.

Please see the following page (Annex A) for options available to you. Choose one of the two options.

===========Annex A=======================================

1. Submitting a complete application Please check (Tick) on the statement below, sign, date and return this Annex A and your application to the mailing address indicated below.

If you choose Option 1, your application package will first be reviewed to ensure it is complete. If your application package is still incomplete, it will not be processed and be returned to you with the proof of payment.

I wish to resubmit an application for a grant of citizenship. I have included:

-> The completed application form submitted in October 2017 or a later version of the application form (as indicated in the lower left corner of the form)
-> All the required documents based on the Document checklist of the form for a grant of citizenship (CIT-0002)
-> the proof of payment

Note: If your application was returned for not having the required physical presence in Canada, you must complete a new application form with a new physical presence calculator printout.

2. Requesting a refund: If you are requesting a refund, please see the following website for further instrution: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/refund.asp

==========================================================
It seems that they are not telling you which of the options you have (to re-submit a brand new one with new dates or to use the old dates you had used). Spyfy what are your thoughts here? Does he have to renew the dates with current dates?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It seems that they are not telling you which of the options you have (to re-submit a brand new one with new dates or to use the old dates you had used). Spyfy what are your thoughts here? Does he have to renew the dates with current dates?
Disclaimer: I don't have any further factual insight based on other people's stories or official IRCC sources. The following is exclusively based on my intuition and how I would handle this.

That said, I would say you should have no problem if you resubmit your family's applications exactly the way you got them back. No need to refill their applications. After all, IRCC confirmed that they are complete.

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Disclaimer: I don't have any further factual insight based on other people's stories or official IRCC sources. The following is exclusively based on my intuition and how I would handle this.

That said, I would say you should have no problem if you resubmit your family's applications exactly the way you got them back. No need to refill their applications. After all, IRCC confirmed that they are complete.
I just want to add 2 more points here: 1) it is strange that IRCC would accept applications up to 90 days pas the signing date if one of the reasons was not for returned apps like this one

2) having said this above in point 1, it is a gray area and I wish someone could get a confirmation on how IRCC likes the returned applications to be handled by the applicants. A lawyer told me that he thinks the returned apps must have a new date and recalculated presence day. Again these are only speculations.

ASMIA

Star Member
Jun 29, 2014
App. Filed.......
May 8, 2014
Nomination.....
Aug 11, 2014 (PER)
IELTS Request
Submitted 6.5
File Transfer...
Sept. 2, 204
Med's Request
Sept. 23, 2014
Med's Done....
Oct. 1, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 26, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 20, 2015
If there is overlap, then it is fine. Some people do multiple jobs at the same time. It's better to disclose. Just make sure your tax papers show the same.

Another example is for addresses. For example, if you live in one address is 2 years, say March 2013 to March 2015. The second address is April 2015 to present. The way you write the first address is 2013/03 to 2015/03. The second address is 2015/03 to PRESENT.

There has to be absolutely NO GAPS in your timeline. Thankfully we only have to mention Month and year and not the actual dates.

Good luck with your application :)
First address is 2013/03 to 2015/03. Why the second address is 2015/03 to PRESENT? Isn't it correct to write 2015/04 to PRESENT? Bcz one did not live 2015/03 in the second address. Correct me please if I am wrong.

Niko Neman

Oct 15, 2017
Hello guys. My application been delivered in Sydney on October 23, still no reply.
Do i have to do something or just wait?

ASMIA

Star Member
Jun 29, 2014
App. Filed.......
May 8, 2014
Nomination.....
Aug 11, 2014 (PER)
IELTS Request
Submitted 6.5
File Transfer...
Sept. 2, 204
Med's Request
Sept. 23, 2014
Med's Done....
Oct. 1, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 26, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 20, 2015
Hello guys. My application been delivered in Sydney on October 23, still no reply.
Do i have to do something or just wait?
Wait one more week or so.