+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BVL received, How long for ppr?

ashishsuiya

Jul 3, 2021
Thanks for that @ashishsuiya , do you have any numbers on Indian students in Japan ? Couldn’t find anything as such

@sqfit- totally agree, I did admit that the system was being abused, and I did critique these diploma mills and their MO.
but Canada is in a fundamentally different situation than America or Britain. As such, most Indian students who apply to study in America or Britain attend public universities, there are not many of these diploma mills, and if a student does apply there their visa is rejected

in the 2000s , Britain had a number of these sham colleges which even offered you degrees and diplomas in exchange for a fee payment, while the student worked full-time on their student visa. The government cracked down on it aggressively and by 2013 the situation was control.

The high rejection rates for Canadian study permits tell me that the system is filtering out those who aren’t ‘deserving’ - some offices , for instance Japan, have incredibly high approval rates for Canadian study permits ( as you’d expect ) .. likewise others have lower acceptance rates , because students try to get around the system
I also agree that some bonafide students are refused visas , but I think the practical solution to that is a little power decentralisation away from one particular VO who handles a file, and tempering the discretionary powers they have, through a secondary review
Interviews in themselves are not a panacea; they will still check your file, they will still assess whether or not your application as a whole is coherent and links to your overall goals- and they will still refuse you a visa if you have a high IELTS score but are not a genuine student
Ummm Sorry buddy I don't know the exact number. But came across this information couple of months back.

sqfit

Jan 16, 2020
So students with average academics don’t deserve to study abroad, is that what you are trying to communicate ?
No, that’s not my point! Everyone does. My point is students with average academics are more deserving sometimes in the eyes of VO whereas those with merit ones aren’t and in a study permit, I guess the most important requisite should be a student’s academia (because everyone shows home ties + funds).

Homie20

Jun 23, 2021
I guess the person means imitating the US’s immigration filtering system which IMO Canada needs badly. Genuine students (even though intention is to migrate eventually) are getting rejected but applicants with average academics + barely there communication skills + zero knowledge of the programs their agent has signed them up for are breezing through. It’s very scammy if you think about it. The current PPRs and refusals in comparison to them makes it evident that Canada needs an interview step in the immigration process. Unfortunately it’s my own countrymen but a lot of “Just anybodies” are getting it too easily. People like us have researched about the place, the housing, the job market etc etc before even getting approvals but those who got “lucky” don’t even know what OPR means in an application.
Well unlike the US and the UK... The Canadian government is actively working with colleges to help students immigrate to Canada. Not to mention the amount of money international students inject into the economy. If canada decided to give every international student PR it still wouldn't meet the yearly immigration demand of the country. My point is when the Canadian embassy processes a study permit application it takes into consideration the fact that you are a potential immigrant eventhough your SOP says otherwise. Thats why they'd rather spend their time and resources doing background checks instead of quickly processing your visa after an interview like numerous other countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aesopzai

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
Well unlike the US and the UK... The Canadian government is actively working with colleges to help students immigrate to Canada. Not to mention the amount of money international students inject into the economy. If canada decided to give every international student PR it still wouldn't meet the yearly immigration demand of the country. My point is when the Canadian embassy process a study permit application it takes into consideration the fact that you are a potential immigrant eventhough your SOP says otherwise. Thats why they'd rather spend their time and resources doing background checks instead of quickly processing your visa after an interview like numerous other countries.
That is somewhat true but there is a question of letting quality immigrants in vs letting anyone in just for the sake of filling numbers. And what makes Canada what it is now (an attractive destination with strong currency, managed populace and infra etc etc) is the end product of this cherry-picking. They know everyone might be a potential immigrant but any sort of irregularity - like previous course not in line with proposed studies, no convincing motivation except just migration to study some courses etc etc is a red flag. They know that some people might become parasites on the economy (getting unemployment and other benefits etc.) and not the tax-payers that they actually want the immigrants to be.

Also, there is a group of 5 countries called Migration 5 (US, Canada, UK, NZ, Aus.) which share data for background checks etc. so they all do background checks not just Canada. But yes, due to high demand, Canada should engage more people to arrange for interviews instead of relying solely on SOP. These days this can also happen over a video call.

Bottom line is - it is the duty of IRCC to maintain the quality of people it is allowing even if it hurts the immigration targets. That's what a quality country would do to maintain that quality.

Last edited:

Homie20

Jun 23, 2021
That is somewhat true but there is a question of letting quality immigrants in vs letting anyone in just for the sake of filling numbers. And what makes Canada what it is now (an attractive destination with strong currency, managed populace and infra etc etc) is the end product of this cherry-picking. They know everyone might be a potential immigrant but any sort of irregularity - like previous course not in line with proposed studies, no convincing motivation except just migration to study some courses etc etc. They know that some people might become parasites on the economy (getting unemployment and other benefits etc.) and not the tax-payers that they actually want the immigrants to be.

Also, there is a group of 5 countries called Migration 5 (US, Canada, UK, NZ, Aus.) which share data for background checks etc. so they all do background checks not just Canada. But yes, due to high demand, Canada should engage more people to arrange for interviews instead of relying solely on SOP. These days this can also happen over a video call.

Bottom line is - it is the duty of IRCC to maintain the quality of people it is allowing even if it hurts the immigration targets. That's what a quality country would do to maintain that quality.
I kinda agree with the cherry picking part but, you have to understand cheery picking millions of applications per year isn't an easy task. After all the visa officers are just humans they do make mistakes of letting unqualified people in from time to time . So considering the number of applications they process every year they're actually they're doing a great job. Plus most of the unqualified people end up not meeting the requirements for PR at the end of their studies and some end up doing labour jobs with their PGWP. All in all i get what you are trying to say and i agree for the most part.

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
I kinda agree with the cherry picking part but, you have to understand cheery picking millions of applications per year isn't an easy task. After all the visa officers are just humans they do make mistakes of letting unqualified people in from time to time . So considering the number of applications they process every year they're actually they're doing a great job. Plus most of the unqualified people end up not meeting the requirements for PR at the end of their studies and some end up doing labour jobs with their PGWP. All in all i get what you are trying to say and i agree for the most part.
Yeah that is a minor collateral that is inevitable given the stakes here!

Reactions: Homie20

sqfit

Jan 16, 2020
THIS!!!!!A lot of people disagree to this but if you are immigrating to another country the least you can do is know their language. Inclusivity matters and this is the social media era where people are fighting for asserting their identity and I GET THAT, but unfortunately not knowing even the language of a country you want to migrate to and the urge to ghettoize somebody else’s country is what the immigration of a country should try to filter. A fair share of approvals I am seeing are of people for example wanting to just get there and they are all prepared to abandon the study route and start working on the permit they will get to work along with their study permit. To combat this they should get a better filtering system because when people go to a country where living expenses are high and when they don’t have means to pay for it, that’s when crime increases. Canada needs to maintain the standard of the country we all aspire to go to, better filter is so badly needed.
There are a lot of cases where PGWP holders are still doing security jobs, why is that? Because unfortunately their adaptability is low to a first world country & hence the struggle of never getting jobs in Canada whereas you’ll rarely see this happening in the US because the filter is so stringent that the students who go there always make it.

Neha.karnad

Star Member
May 29, 2019
THIS!!!!!A lot of people disagree to this but if you are immigrating to another country the least you can do is know their language. Inclusivity matters and this is the social media era where people are fighting for asserting their identity and I GET THAT, but unfortunately not knowing even the language of a country you want to migrate to and the urge to ghettoize somebody else’s country is what the immigration of a country should try to filter. A fair share of approvals I am seeing are of people for example wanting to just get there and they are all prepared to abandon the study route and start working on the permit they will get to work along with their study permit. To combat this they should get a better filtering system because when people go to a country where living expenses are high and when they don’t have means to pay for it, that’s when crime increases. Canada needs to maintain the standard of the country we all aspire to go to, better filter is so badly needed.
There are a lot of cases where PGWP holders are still doing security jobs, why is that? Because unfortunately their adaptability is low to a first world country & hence the struggle of never getting jobs in Canada whereas you’ll rarely see this happening in the US because the filter is so stringent that the students who go there always make it.
Something as simple as an interview like the US would add another layer of filtration. The number of people outsourcing or copying SOPs itself is a big red flag.

Having lived in Canada for the last 7 years, the trend of immigration almost scares me as the number of people looking for work is unreal, most come as students at some of the lesser known colleges (some are definitely capable and worthy of going to betterr colleges and universities), usually due to the recommendation of an educational counsellor (the better schools do not pay them a commission, so there is a direct conflict of interest). Most of the well paying jobs, and the ones that come with stability, are usually hiring from target universities and colleges, so it does get difficult for most of these students resulting in them leaving a much better life back home to come here to see the struggle.

sourabh0397

Star Member
May 15, 2021
No, that’s not my point! Everyone does. My point is students with average academics are more deserving sometimes in the eyes of VO whereas those with merit ones aren’t and in a study permit, I guess the most important requisite should be a student’s academia (because everyone shows home ties + funds).
Lol to be honest academics mean nothing, especially based on how indian education works. Thats exactly why countries do not accept an indian degree for majority of the jobs. The us approach which is gre is the way to go, not cgpa from an Indian institute. As long as a student with 50% is able to cope with western edu, he/she is fine.

sqfit

Jan 16, 2020
Lol to be honest academics mean nothing, especially based on how indian education works. Thats exactly why countries do not accept an indian degree for majority of the jobs. The us approach which is gre is the way to go, not cgpa from an Indian institute. As long as a student with 50% is able to cope with western edu, he/she is fine.
Absolutely true! Unfortunately we have a lot of mugging up that happens. Very less emphasis on intellectuality and very much on “who answers word to word perfectly from the guide” lol
Guide : If you are from Mumbai or Maharashtra board, you would know :D

sqfit

Jan 16, 2020
Something as simple as an interview like the US would add another layer of filtration. The number of people outsourcing or copying SOPs itself is a big red flag.

Having lived in Canada for the last 7 years, the trend of immigration almost scares me as the number of people looking for work is unreal, most come as students at some of the lesser known colleges (some are definitely capable and worthy of going to betterr colleges and universities), usually due to the recommendation of an educational counsellor (the better schools do not pay them a commission, so there is a direct conflict of interest). Most of the well paying jobs, and the ones that come with stability, are usually hiring from target universities and colleges, so it does get difficult for most of these students resulting in them leaving a much better life back home to come here to see the struggle.
It’s heartbreaking but it is the truth.

ashishsuiya

Jul 3, 2021

Let alone colleges there are people who don't even choose their own courses, consultants do it on their behalf. I have seen people opting for courses that are totally irrelevant to their profile. It's sad to see this sort of career suicide. :confused:

sqfit

Jan 16, 2020
Let alone colleges there are people who don't even choose their own courses, consultants do it on their behalf. I have seen people opting for courses that are totally irrelevant to their profile. It's sad to see this sort of career suicide. :confused:
I have seen cases where they don’t know how many hours of classes they are going to have and they are traveling in august for the fall intake. Canadian immigration system made me realize the phrase “God works in mysterious ways” on another level.

hey13apple

Apr 10, 2021
I called IRCC and after digging for 20 mins, the lady told me that my eligibility is failed. I am in mid of my semester. Has anyone received such reply and then got positive result? Should I keep any hope of getting any positive reply or should I rely on what the lady told of my failed eligibility and should just wait for refusal?
Application filed on 3rd may(after 2 refusals?
Medical updated-11th May
BVL updated-15th May