15-10-2018
Passport Req..
19-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Hey everyone!

I am a new PR of Canada, landed 23rd February in Toronto.

I have now moved to Collingwood, Ontario and started my full-time salaried job.

Now, my next big challenge is the buying a car:
I hold a valid Italian license with 8+ yrs of experience, I have it with me translated and certified and I have the driving abstract that confirms my driving experience, no tickets, no accidents ever all of it translated and certified like they want.

I am planning to give my G1 next week but I found out that in order to give the G exam I actually need my own car / relatives/ friends car. The issue is that my partner does not have a car nor a driving license (I know right?!) and his brother who lives in town owns a massive pick-up which I am not confident in driving.

So, I have contacted a few Insurance agents and I have been told I can actually buy and Insure a car with a G1 (obv the Insurance would be more expensive) and once I get the full G I would be able to get a relatively cheaper rate.

The dilemma is to buy new or to buy used ?
My brother in law suggests I buy new so that I have less problems mantaining the car, but considering I won’t be able to pay it all at once, and that I started my job last week, would I even be eligible for financing ?

Is it better to buy used ?

Private or Dealership? I know with dealeriships they take car of most paperworks which would be a relief right now, but would they charge me an extortionate price ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the very long post :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many driving schools rent out their cars for driving tests so that may be an option. Your partner and their credit rating could help you buy a new car. Not sure if you are married/common law. A used car is a good option. A decent used car is still not inexpensive so you need to look at your savings and whether you can finance at a decent rate. Living in Collingwood you'll so need to look at options that can get you around In the snow especially if you do a lot of driving. Winter tires will also have to be factored in. The cost of insurance is one thing that also may be shocking to you so you'll have to budget for that.

RomeLondonCollingwood

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
13-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-10-2018
Med's Request
05-10-2018
Med's Done....
15-10-2018
Passport Req..
19-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Many driving schools rent out their cars for driving tests so that may be an option. Your partner and their credit rating could help you buy a new car. Not sure if you are married/common law. A used car is a good option. A decent used car is still not inexpensive so you need to look at your savings and whether you can finance at a decent rate. Living in Collingwood you'll so need to look at options that can get you around In the snow especially if you do a lot of driving. Winter tires will also have to be factored in. The cost of insurance is one thing that also may be shocking to you so you'll have to budget for that.

Thank you for your answer :)
We are common law, and we would share the cost of the car/insurance , but he does not have a license as he left for the UK (where we met) when he was 18 so never bothered unfortunately so now while he is basically having to do everything from the start, I can go from G1 to G in little time.

Yes I did look at driving schools and wow for 5 driving lessons is 339$ + Taxes ! But I do believe this will be my best option.

Luckily my job is 1.7km away from me so when is nice outside I just walk, the other days my co-worker picks me up (I know I am a very lucky one).

We do have some savings for a down payment and both have a decent full-time job so financing would be fine, my worry is more because I am brand new to Canada they won’t finance me.

For Insurance the CHEAPEST that I have been quoted at is about $266 a month! It is shocking but I guess it is what it is so I came kind of prepared in my mind.

That’s the problem: looking at new cars for example the bew totota yaris hatchback is 17,000$ and a used car from 2014-2013 with average 100km in it is 13,000$ so I really don’t know what to do!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your answer :)
We are common law, and we would share the cost of the car/insurance , but he does not have a license as he left for the UK (where we met) when he was 18 so never bothered unfortunately so now while he is basically having to do everything from the start, I can go from G1 to G in little time.

Yes I did look at driving schools and wow for 5 driving lessons is 339$ + Taxes ! But I do believe this will be my best option.

Luckily my job is 1.7km away from me so when is nice outside I just walk, the other days my co-worker picks me up (I know I am a very lucky one).

We do have some savings for a down payment and both have a decent full-time job so financing would be fine, my worry is more because I am brand new to Canada they won’t finance me.

For Insurance the CHEAPEST that I have been quoted at is about $266 a month! It is shocking but I guess it is what it is so I came kind of prepared in my mind.

That’s the problem: looking at new cars for example the bew totota yaris hatchback is 17,000$ and a used car from 2014-2013 with average 100km in it is 13,000$ so I really don’t know what to do!
Sorry guess I wasn't clear. I am concerned about your ability to qualify for financing given your lack of credit history or what type of interest rate you might qualify for. 17K seems very inexpensive for a Yaris. For such a small difference I would go new. You need to look at the various cars and any special pricing available plus warranties. Some offer 3 years but some offer 5. Driving schools seem to rent out their car for just the test. I would look into this.

eriasr

Star Member
Jan 14, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2017
Doc's Request.
05-03-2017
AOR Received.
05-03-2017
File Transfer...
14-03-2017
Med's Request
21-03-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
24-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Hopefully for 2 weeks
LANDED..........
SOON
Hi there.I dont live in Ontario but I'll give you my opinion based when I first came in Canada.
So based in my experience is better for you to buy a cheap car from private sellers(but you really need a little bit of knowledge about cars if you want to buy from private seller).
Some of the best cars in Canada that won't give you a lot of problems are
(Honda civic,Chevrolet cruze,Toyota Corolla,Ford Fusion,Mazda 3,Mitsubishi Lancer)
This cars are mostly cheap and very good in Gas and even if ever gives a problem are cheap to fix.
If you are not experts of cars go in a dealership and you might pay 1k or 2k more but that wont guarantee you that will be a good car.
I always think that dealerships are money grabber only.
That's my opinion.Hope it helps.
I'm Italian too by the way.
Arrivederci :)

RomeLondonCollingwood

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
13-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-10-2018
Med's Request
05-10-2018
Med's Done....
15-10-2018
Passport Req..
19-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Yes you are right about the financing issue.
I just got a new credit card so since I am actually in no big rush to buy a car (I just want to get the license), I can wait a bit to build up at least a bare minimum of credit history and start investigate on my best options to see what kind of financing I can get!

Thank you for your help :)

RomeLondonCollingwood

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
13-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-10-2018
Med's Request
05-10-2018
Med's Done....
15-10-2018
Passport Req..
19-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Hi there.I dont live in Ontario but I'll give you my opinion based when I first came in Canada.
So based in my experience is better for you to buy a cheap car from private sellers(but you really need a little bit of knowledge about cars if you want to buy from private seller).
(Honda civic,Chevrolet cruze,Toyota Corolla,Ford Fusion,Mazda 3,Mitsubishi Lancer)
This cars are mostly cheap and very good in Gas and even if ever gives a problem are cheap to fix.
If you are not experts of cars go in a dealership and you might pay 1k or 2k more but that wont guarantee you that will be a good car.
Hey!

Yeah see I asked around at work and everyone gave me different opinions.
I understand nothing about cars and neither does my partner so that was why we were looking at dealerships, because they would also handle most of the paperworks, but I am pretty sure they will overcharge us with some crazy price !

Honestly, I’m just brain storming, Most important bit now is to get Full G license.
Then I can start looking for cars, my dad is coming to visit in August and he is expert in cars, so could definetely wait for him to get here and help me look :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Be very careful with private sellers. There are aa lot of scammers. Would encourage anyone buying a used car to get an inspection done with an independent garage that you trust before paying anything.

eriasr

Star Member
Jan 14, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2017
Doc's Request.
05-03-2017
AOR Received.
05-03-2017
File Transfer...
14-03-2017
Med's Request
21-03-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
24-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Hopefully for 2 weeks
LANDED..........
SOON
Be very careful with private sellers. There are aa lot of scammers. Would encourage anyone buying a used car to get an inspection done with an independent garage that you trust before paying anything.
Agree with you but no one is inside the engine ;)...Sometimes is just the car that is good and if you do understand a lot about cars you know what are you choosing.But ur right there is a lot of scammers so be aware.

RomeLondonCollingwood

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
13-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-10-2018
Med's Request
05-10-2018
Med's Done....
15-10-2018
Passport Req..
19-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Can I ask sings to recognise scammers ?

(I really have no knowledge on cars)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey!

Yeah see I asked around at work and everyone gave me different opinions.
I understand nothing about cars and neither does my partner so that was why we were looking at dealerships, because they would also handle most of the paperworks, but I am pretty sure they will overcharge us with some crazy price !

Honestly, I’m just brain storming, Most important bit now is to get Full G license.
Then I can start looking for cars, my dad is coming to visit in August and he is expert in cars, so could definetely wait for him to get here and help me look :)
A dealership is a business and they have overhead versus someone buying and selling cars one by one or a few at a time so you may pay more. Private sellers will look to share you as much as possible so they aren't necessarily cheap. You can negotiate a bit. Watch a show on CP24 called car help Canada. You may want to sign up for a similar service. For a pretty minimal fee they have already negotiated the best price for you and could also recommend a reputable garage. Something to consider.'

https://www.carhelpcanada.com