+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business Visit status to Work Permit

CunnyLFC1971

Nov 17, 2013
HI

Before I go and spend $2500 on an Agent, does anyone have any advice/tips on how I could change my "Business Visitor" Status to a Work Permit? I have opened 2 offices here in Canada - Toronto and Calgary - and I am visiting them for 6 months to staff them up and visit clients etc. I now want to extend my stay and Work from Canada for at least another year. Any tips? Or anybody know any cheaper Agencies?!

Thanks

spyro02

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
If you are a US citizen, then you can change to worker status from inside Canada by filing an application to change conditions.
Otherwise you need to leave and re-enter Canada in worker status. If you are non-US visa-exempt, you can get a work permit at the port of entry. If you are a non-exempt national need to apply directly or online to a foreign mission. You can find many useful information at cic.gc.ca.

Important:
You will need some documents which are listed in the Foreign Workers Manual FW-01. Look under "C12 intra-company transferee" (pages 60&61). This is assuming you have offices abroad as well. If not, the only other option is C11 entrepreneur, which would require more extensive documentation. It is easier to convince a CIC or CBSA officer that you qualify under C11 if the criteria of both apply. If you can have an employee sign off on an employment offer letter, which explains why you need to work at the Canadian office temporarily, that will help a great deal.

If you are from a visa-exempt nation, I can recommend that you contact the Temporary Foreign Workers Unit for an opinion on whether you are exempt from an LMO. That is technically not required but it will help you get all the documentation in order as well as the CBSA officer who can rely on the opinion if in doubt.
Email: TFWU-Toronto-UTET@cic.gc.ca
Phone: 416-954-7954
Fax: 416-973-9768

I can provide further information if you tell me how want to apply. No need to pay an agent.