+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business Visit during COVID

sumitamatya

Jul 27, 2017
Hello folks,

I want to make a business visit to Canada. This business I have been in talks for long time now and finally we came down where we can cut a deal but I have not physically seen the business yet. I want to see the business before paying any amount. However, the seller does not want to wait for long time to sell his business. My question is,
1. Can I do a business visit in Canada during Covid-19? I have a valid visitor visa.
2. The trip will be not more than 2 weeks. Do I have to take separate visa or can I travel in visitor visa from USA?
3. Can business visit is considered as an essential travel during COVID-19?

Thank you .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello folks,

I want to make a business visit to Canada. This business I have been in talks for long time now and finally we came down where we can cut a deal but I have not physically seen the business yet. I want to see the business before paying any amount. However, the seller does not want to wait for long time to sell his business. My question is,
1. Can I do a business visit in Canada during Covid-19? I have a valid visitor visa.
2. The trip will be not more than 2 weeks. Do I have to take separate visa or can I travel in visitor visa from USA?

Thank you .
This will be classified as non-essential travel. You will need to wait until travel restrictions have been lifted. Right now travel restrictions are in place until the end of October - however quite possible they may be extended.

Canada and the USA are two separate countries. If you want to enter the USA, then you need a USA visa.

Reactions: sumitamatya

sumitamatya

Jul 27, 2017
This will be classified as non-essential travel. You will need to wait until travel restrictions have been lifted. Right now travel restrictions are in place until the end of October - however quite possible they may be extended.

Canada and the USA are two separate countries. If you want to enter the USA, then you need a USA visa.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I understand this is non-essential travel, is there any way to convince Canada border patrol that this is essential>

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I understand this is non-essential travel, is there any way to convince Canada border patrol that this is essential>
You can try requesing written authorization using the process the below. This is for reuniting immediate family members and there's a high chance they will simply tell you that you do not qualify. But you can certainly try. It will likely take several weeks before you have an answer.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#authorization

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello folks,

Thank you .
Just to add that even though you say a visit not longer than 2 weeks you need to be in quarantine for 14 days on arrival so you could not conduct any business or meet anyone until day 15 onwards. It is likely the quarantine requirement may be in place through end of the year and maybe beyond should infection rates continue up.

sumitamatya

Jul 27, 2017
Just to add that even though you say a visit not longer than 2 weeks you need to be in quarantine for 14 days on arrival so you could not conduct any business or meet anyone until day 15 onwards. It is likely the quarantine requirement may be in place through end of the year and maybe beyond should infection rates continue up.
Thanks a lot for the information. Appreciate it!

Ajit1975

Star Member
May 15, 2016
Hi members
good information but what about non Canadians having business incorporation, are they allowed?

simwas

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
Hello folks,

Thank you .
hi i have a similar query .i am from india.i have a visitor visa for canada..and have a business meeting to attend in canada.i also have visitor visa for usa..i have been advised to book flight for canada from usa..can someone please tell whether i will be allowed from usa..??

simwas

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019

simwas

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019

hi i have a similar query .i am from india.i have a visitor visa for canada..and have a business meeting to attend in canada.i also have visitor visa for usa..i have been advised to book flight for canada from usa..can someone please tell whether i will be allowed from usa..??

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A business meeting would be considered non essential travel so not allowed at this time. Even if it were you would need to spend 14 days in mandatory quarantine on arrival so not available during that time for any face to face meetings

simwas

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
A business meeting would be considered non essential travel so not allowed at this time. Even if it were you would need to spend 14 days in mandatory quarantine on arrival so not available during that time for any face to face meetings
thank you for ur response..i am ready to take 14 day quarantine for that meeting..its really important..just not sure whdr i can enter from usa for that..bcoz on the govt site..its mentioned that for "all other foreign nationals" you shud be either travelling directly from the usa or you should be exempt..its not cleary mentioned whdr business trip is considered essential or non essential

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Agree that the definition of essential or not is not clear other than if classified simply as a visit and not immediate or extended family visit then it would likely be classified as not essential at this time . Essential maybe to you but not meeting the governments definition of essential.

Then again this is just a public forum and you do not need to convince anyone here but you do need to convince during a pandemic that travel is essential to both US CBP to transit the US and CBSA to let you into Canada. In addition of course you may need to convince the airline checkin that travel meets the essential criteria.

Unless you reach out to CBSA directly for clarification you are faced with a decision whether to chance travelling although you could start with the airline.

simwas

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
thank you for ur response..i am ready to take 14 day quarantine for that meeting..its really important..just not sure whdr i can enter from usa for that..bcoz on the govt site..its mentioned that for "all other foreign nationals" you shud be either travelling directly from the usa or you should be exempt..its not cleary mentioned whdr business trip is considered essential or non essential
and do you have any idea about copr extensions..when they will be coming..its bee
Agree that the definition of essential or not is not clear other than if classified simply as a visit and not immediate or extended family visit then it would likely be classified as not essential at this time . Essential maybe to you but not meeting the governments definition of essential.

Then again this is just a public forum and you do not need to convince anyone here but you do need to convince during a pandemic that travel is essential to both US CBP to transit the US and CBSA to let you into Canada. In addition of course you may need to convince the airline checkin that travel meets the essential criteria.

Unless you reach out to CBSA directly for clarification you are faced with a decision whether to chance travelling although you could start with the airline.
thank you so much for your advice..i will collect proofs for the urgency n importance of this trip so that both cbsa n cbp can be convinced..coz one of my known just travelled to canada n they asked the immigration personnel whrdr one can travel for business on visitor visa n he said ' maybe' .