+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing your Car into Canada - for 'landing' >>>

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
qorax said:
Usually U.S. insurance is valid in Canada for temp. visitors, unless otherwise specified in your ins. docs. However, for a permanent move things could be different. In such a scenario most U.S. insurers could offer u a 'limited time/coverage' as a Temp. Travel Insurance. It's wise to Xcheck with your insurance provider to know about their policies, terms & conditions.

Qorax

Thank you sir... Will try my luck with Allstate.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
canada_dream100 said:
Thank you sir... Will try my luck with Allstate.
I used State Farm insurance when I imported my car from US to Canada. State Farm has branches in Canada so they know what to do.

rslcanada

Jan 7, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2010
Doc's Request.
06-04-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010 (2nd) Ecas In Process 28-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-04-2010
Med's Request
04-10-2010 received in mail
Med's Done....
09-10(Oct)-2010 @ CT,USA
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 30'11; PP sent June 9/ rcvd by CIC June 14,2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 20 & DM/received PP June 28, 2011
LANDED..........
August 7, 2011 via Winnipeg, MB stayed for 2wks & be back on July 2012
Will Toyota Financing allow us to continue the mortgage in Canada?

Thanks for the input.

RSL

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
rslcanada said:
Will Toyota Financing allow us to continue the mortgage in Canada?

Thanks for the input.

RSL
I agree with Qorax. I don't think Toyota Financing will allow you. SunTrust Bank allowed me but I had to comply with certain conditions (i.e., at least one year of payment history, no past due experience, insurance coverage in Canada, automatic debit arrangement for loan payments).

rslcanada

Jan 7, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2010
Doc's Request.
06-04-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010 (2nd) Ecas In Process 28-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-04-2010
Med's Request
04-10-2010 received in mail
Med's Done....
09-10(Oct)-2010 @ CT,USA
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 30'11; PP sent June 9/ rcvd by CIC June 14,2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 20 & DM/received PP June 28, 2011
LANDED..........
August 7, 2011 via Winnipeg, MB stayed for 2wks & be back on July 2012
I'll try asking Toyota Financial...theres possibility since your bank allowed you & I already met those conditions too.

Thanks for the replies...

RSLCanada

leng

May 1, 2012
rslcanada said:
To Qorax...thanks for this thread.

I will do my landing next month & stay for just 2 wks. I will list my 2 cars in b4A Goods to follow form since I will export them fr US after a year when I return to Canada. Question.... no dues & tax for the 2 cars to be exported next yr, my only expense is the shipping fee, is this true?!? (actually i have just one car here & ill buy another one before I land so I can list it in B4A). I already checked the financing co that its ok to continue the financing in Canada & let them sign the lien satisfied/title holder release form.

any advise will be higly appreciated.

thanks!
Hi rslcanada, thanks a lot for your sharing. I am planning to landing Canada in near future by my own car and will be back to US after two weeks. Could you pls let me know whether I can landing in Canada, have trip in canada and back to US by my own car (with US plate) without troubles? Or whether I need add this car to the list of goods to follow? Or just tell them I do not want to import this car? Thank you very much for you kind help. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

swatipatel

Jun 12, 2012
BZ Mom said:
I used State Farm insurance when I imported my car from US to Canada. State Farm has branches in Canada so they know what to do.
Hi BZ Mom, were you able to register the car in Canada with US statefarm insurance?

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
swatipatel said:
Hi Experts, anyone able to register car in Canada with US statefarm insurance?
No, you need to get insurance from Canada.

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
I have been Canadian PR for the last few years. Recently I went to my home country, got married and plan to bring my new wife to Canada ASAP. It is my understanding that as a new immigrant (once she gets her PR documents) she is allowed to bring her possessions to Canada tax- and duty-free. That includes a car.

I have been thinking of using this occasion (her coming to Canada) for buying a new car in the US, where vehicles tend to cost at least a few thousand dollars cheaper than in Canada (not to mention GST and PST). So, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a minimum time ownership requirement (say, 3 or 6 months) before the newcomer could bring the car to Canada tax-free? I mean, can she fly from her home country to the US, buy a vehicle there and do the landing next day through the "land" border in a brand-new car?

2. Is there a requirement that the vehicle must have been registered (license plates and etc.) in the new immigrant's name in the country of her previous residence before it could be brought to Canada? In other words, could the vehicle be driven into Canada with temporary (US dealer) license plates or those would have to be permanent ones, possibly from her home country?

3. US dealer's plates tend to expire in a few weeks. From what I remember (I brought my car to Canada from the US a few years ago when I landed myself) the "importation" process (getting recall letter, exchanging the paperwork with the RIV, doing modifications and etc.) might take a bit longer. How can I/we drive the car around during that period? I mean, what shall I do during the time when dealer's plates expire and permanent plates are not yet available? Is there any way to get temporary plates from Canadian customs or at the local DMV office? Is there any way to get some sort of insurance while driving on temporary plates?

4. Once the car gets registered in my wife's name in Canada is there some time limit during which she can't sell it (because it was brought to the country tax-free)? Not that we plan to do that, but we plan to transfer the formal ownership of the car from her name to mine for insurance purposes.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Aug 21, 2012
I have a question for you all and I hope you can help. I'm American and my wife is Canadian. We were just married and applied for I land sponsorship. My parents have decided to give us their 2003 Dodge Durango as a wedding gift. I know all about the RIV process but am trying to avoid paying too much in taxes. The car is American so duty won't be a problem. If I have a notarized letter and notarized vehicle gift form from Connecticut can I avoid paying gst? The cars not worth much but I'd still rather not pay. Now since I am not a legal resident yet, is it better my parents give my wife the vehicle? And what about avoiding pst in Quebec? I know new residents are exempt but technically I'm not a resident. Any insight? Past experiences?

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
JtbreenMtldodgerj, I don't think you should bring that Dodge to Canada. It is simply not worth it. I do not know what you financial situation is, but vehicles in the US in general cost at least a few thousand dollars less than in Canada. Plus when you bring one as a new resident you're exempt for any taxes, including GST and PST. Why use this opportunity on a 10 year old car, which is, probably, worth almost the same in Canada as in the US? You'd better off trying to save some money while waiting for your residency papers. Then, when the time comes, sell that Dodge, buy something better and bring that vehicle to Canada.
You're given that opportunity (to import your car to Canada completely tax-free) only once. Don't waste it.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Hi Captain,
Is the steps for bringing the Car from U.A.E also the same? becos even in the RIV site it mentions only USA.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mats said:
Hi Captain,
Is the steps for bringing the Car from U.A.E also the same? becos even in the RIV site it mentions only USA.
Beware: Cars in the MENA r made differently vis-a-vis the cars here (in N/Americas).

Basically cars there r modded to withstand extreme heat, while cars here r done so towards extreme 'cold'.