+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BRIDGING OPEN WORK PERMIT - DEC 2012 ONWARDS

zaraM

Star Member
Dec 22, 2012
Hi Guys,

I have applied for my bridging work permit online 2 days ago and I did not submit upfront medicals with my application as it is optional. But, I heard from someone that my work permit will be rejected if I did not submit my medicals with the application. Please someone confirm!!!! ???

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Zara...Could you please share with us any document or CIC webpage link where it says that Medical is required (but optional) for Bridging open Work Permit applications? As far as i know medicals are not required for bridging open work permit application.

There is no such indication in the Document Checklist too. Please always double check the instructions given with the application guide or the details provided on the CIC website - which is the official Canadian Immigration website.
BOWP details: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp
Document check list: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5556E.pdf

All the best

zaraM

Star Member
Dec 22, 2012
Infoseeker12, in the document checklist the last option under work permit is (optional) proof of medical examination. Also when i applied online, in the initial questionnaire there was a question asking if i am submitting proof of medical examination with my application and I answered No.

So I am just confirming...if it is true or not?

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
You are actually correct, my bad for missing that line.

But that actually works for applicants applying for the initial Work Permit. In your case, its a Bridging Open Work Permit - extending your current Work Permit and not applying for the Work Permit or entering Canada for the first time.

So you are not required to do medicals for the BOWP applications. I am not aware if anyone else on this forum applied for BOWP and supplied medicals or was asked to take the medical exam for BOWP application.

I hope this clarifies your concern. All the best.

kaytea

Star Member
Jan 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
14-05-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
LANDED..........
19-01-2014
I think you only need medicals if you are planning to work in a health related field (like at hospital) or educational field (like elementary school).

Gapha

May 29, 2013
Hello Seniors,

First of all, I would like to thank each one of you for all the information shared on this Forum. This is a great place to dicuss and clarify our doubts since noone has a straight definate answer to the complicated process.

I'm on process of filling up a BOWP application and have some doubts. I would really appreciate of you could help me clarify or give your inputs on the same.

I'm currently on a Closed Work permit ( processed after LMO) expiring 11 Sept'2013, Working at a Permanent , Full-time position. (I intend to work with the same employer until my PR application is processed completely. )

While filling the form IMM5710E (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker)

A) What should I choose from below?
i. A work permit with the same employer
ii. Restoration of temporary resident status as worker
iii. A work permit with a new employer
iv Initial Temporary Resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit.

( should it be work permit with same Employer or New Employer )

B) Do I have to provide present Employer detail on "Details of Intended Work in Canada", as I plan to work for the same employer since my position is permanent. Through I would like to get an OPEN WORK PERMIT.

( If you recommend YES, Do I attach a Job Reference Letter )

C) Do we fill in the "Duration for Expected Employment" ( 1 yr ) or leave that section Blank?

Also, I recently got my Passport Renewed so have a new passport number but the Visa and Stamps are on the Old passport which is now being cancelled.

Do I just sent the copies of New Passport or Should I also include the copies of the Old Cancelled passport including the VISA and the stamps as needed ( part of supported Documents )

Thank you in Advance..! Appreciate your help.!

Cheers.!

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi Gapha,

Were you able to get your questions answered . I want to apply for bridging work permit and will continue working with same employer. My FSW 2 application is in process (Medicals sent for this PR) .

Question1: What does it mean when they say below in the document checklist (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5556E.pdf)

... Job offer letter or contract from employer ...
Can I give the original offer letter from my employer when I came to canada (in 2009) .

Question2: Where exactly I indicate that I want to apply for a bridging open work permit . There is nothing in the form which states that .

Cruiser55

Apr 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
Doc's Request.
21.02.2014 RPRF and BIODATA requested
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with application.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi,
I am on a closed work permit until September 2014 (I am currently unemployed as I was laid off) and to be able to work again, I applied online for my BOWP on August 29th with a letter of explanation after receiving my AOR.

I know that it takes around 30 - 35 days to get a BOWP, and when I called CIC today they informed that CIC is now currently working on applications received on August 10th and it will be another 2 - 3 weeks before they will be able to start work on my application.

My question is that since my current closed work permit expires on September 2014 and keeping in mind this delay in processing my BOWP, will they only give me the BOWP until September 2014 or will it be given for 1 year (as the CIC website says) from the date of it's issue?

I am just afraid that this delay in processing my BOWP will only result in the eating away from my 1 year (by CIC regulations) BOWP duration time.

Please advice.

canimm123

Dec 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2012
Doc's Request.
22-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-02-2013
Med's Request
16-08-2013(Advanced) and 12-11-2013(Spouse)
Med's Done....
16-08-2013(Advanced) and 08-11-2013(Spouse)
Passport Req..
08-11-2013(Initial) and 28-11-2013(After adding spouse)
Cruiser55 said:
Hi,
I am on a closed work permit until September 2014 (I am currently unemployed as I was laid off) and to be able to work again, I applied online for my BOWP on August 29th with a letter of explanation after receiving my AOR.

I know that it takes around 30 - 35 days to get a BOWP, and when I called CIC today they informed that CIC is now currently working on applications received on August 10th and it will be another 2 - 3 weeks before they will be able to start work on my application.

My question is that since my current closed work permit expires on September 2014 and keeping in mind this delay in processing my BOWP, will they only give me the BOWP until September 2014 or will it be given for 1 year (as the CIC website says) from the date of it's issue?

I am just afraid that this delay in processing my BOWP will only result in the eating away from my 1 year (by CIC regulations) BOWP duration time.

Please advice.
Hi Cruiser55,

The BOWP will be issued for 1 year from the date of its issue. Say if it gets approved on 1st October then your BOWP expiry date will be 1st October 2014.

Sebrina

Star Member
Apr 28, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/08/2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
WAITING
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APP
File Transfer...
DONNO
Med's Request
WAITING
LANDED..........
EAGERLY WAITING
Hi all,

I almost read all the posts in this blog... I am just wondering whether I can apply for my bowp as my post grad work permit is expiring august 2014 and i am applying for my pr under fsw by end of may.. Please help me by ur valuable answers... Thank u very much..