+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) under express entry - connect here

ak0023

Apr 7, 2016
Hey Thankyou. @Manidhatt, Have you applied for BOWP or do you know anyone who has done this?

Just to re-ask my question:-

I have a question. I want to apply for BOWP. I have applied for EE under CEC in Feb. My visa expires in June 2016. But, I would have to travel to my country in April. Should I apply for BOWP before I leave for my country or after I come back from my country which is 1st week of May. Because, it takes 3 months to process I am not sure if I will get PR or BOWP in time. My work place HR has started asking me if i have applied for BOWP. Please help. I Really need your expertise in this regard. Asking because I know you need to be in the country but because of the timing of my travel outside canada, I am tensed. Your help is much appreciated.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scottygirl said:
My husbands WP expires July 27, we have an AOR of Dec 15, CEC inland with LMIA - should we apply for a BOWP or is there a good chance we'll get PR before then?
Hi Scottygirl, I say apply for BOWP. Don't take any chances. You may get PR before then but IRCC is always unpredictable. I'm also applying for BOWP. My WP expires 26 June. Don't leave your fate to chance.

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
JoacRy said:
Hi Scottygirl, I say apply for BOWP. Don't take any chances. You may get PR before then but IRCC is always unpredictable. I'm also applying for BOWP. My WP expires 26 June. Don't leave your fate to chance.
Thanks JoacRY! Think I'll apply for it, don't fancy losing our OHIP status, especially when we have kids.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scottygirl said:
Thanks JoacRY! Think I'll apply for it, don't fancy losing our OHIP status, especially when we have kids.
Your most welcome. As I understand it all you need is AOR and you can apply from myCIC account. If you need any help let me know.

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
ak0023 said:
Hey Thankyou. @Manidhatt, Have you applied for BOWP or do you know anyone who has done this?

Just to re-ask my question:-

I have a question. I want to apply for BOWP. I have applied for EE under CEC in Feb. My visa expires in June 2016. But, I would have to travel to my country in April. Should I apply for BOWP before I leave for my country or after I come back from my country which is 1st week of May. Because, it takes 3 months to process I am not sure if I will get PR or BOWP in time. My work place HR has started asking me if i have applied for BOWP. Please help. I Really need your expertise in this regard. Asking because I know you need to be in the country but because of the timing of my travel outside canada, I am tensed. Your help is much appreciated.
Hey

Yes I applied for BOWP and it got approved and is valid for a year. If I was you I would keep the BOWP application and documents ready but not apply until 2 weeks prior to the expiry of the work permit. This is just in case you receive PPR by that time.

As long as you have a valid work permit and TRV (if required) you can travel to your country.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, quick question I am completing the BOWP application and I come to the question as to whether I am 'Fee Exempt'. I am unsure on this question, and would appreciate any clarification if possible. If there is a fee so be it and I am happy to pay it. Also what documents do I need to have ready besides the AOR?

Thank you for your replies.

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
JoacRy said:
Hi guys, quick question I am completing the BOWP application and I come to the question as to whether I am 'Fee Exempt'. I am unsure on this question, and would appreciate any clarification if possible. If there is a fee so be it and I am happy to pay it. Also what documents do I need to have ready besides the AOR?

Thank you for your replies.
Did you apply thro MyCIC? I've just tried (assumed you just click on the 'apply for study, work permit' bar) and it took me through the series if questions re eligibility then crashed! When I logout and go back in, the bar to apply for a work permit has gone!

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi scottygirl, yes I'm applying through 'MYCIC'. So far it comes and says that I have to upload the following:

1) IMM5710 - the link to the form does not even work
2) Proof of Medical Exam (will use the one I used for PR application)
3) Passport (will use the one I used for PR application)
4) Digital Photo (Will use the one I used for PR application)

Optional Documents listed as:
1) Schedule 1 (IMM5257) - the link to the Form does not even work
2) LOE

Fees:
1) Work Permit ($155)
2) Open Work Permit Holder Fee ($100)

Can anyone please tell me if my Application Checklist is correct?

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
Anybody tried to apply for BOWP recently? Have just tried again today and it comes up with the same error message once I've completed the profile questions and press continue!! Soooo frustrating as really wanted to get this done this weekend.

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
Scottygirl said:
Anybody tried to apply for BOWP recently? Have just tried again today and it comes up with the same error message once I've completed the profile questions and press continue!! Soooo frustrating as really wanted to get this done this weekend.
So have managed to get into the system and update all the necessary areas thus getting to the document upload checklist and fee info - which is a whopping $555 (work permit, open permit fee and 3 visitor permit fees!!!). Luckily my husbands work is paying for it but grudge forking out more money for something that, hopefully, we may not need in the end!

TECC_Seneca

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm doing this right now too. So we just submit the AOR and write a letter of explanation that we have applied for PR? Do we have to submit any other documents? Like the docs we uploaded for our PR? Also I am assuming the Schedule 1 (IMM5257) thing is optional?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TECC_Seneca said:
I'm doing this right now too. So we just submit the AOR and write a letter of explanation that we have applied for PR? Do we have to submit any other documents? Like the docs we uploaded for our PR? Also I am assuming the Schedule 1 (IMM5257) thing is optional?
Hi @TECC_Seneca, for me it lists form IMM5257 as optional. I downloaded the form but don't think I need to apply for the TRV.

I'm running through my LOE for my PR application to everything is consistent. I think this is a good starting point.

Let me know how you go.

TECC_Seneca

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, So are you saying you are using the same LOE you used for the PR application?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not word for word. But ensure all details in this LOE is the same as the LOE for your PR application. Any inconsistencies in this LOE versus the LOE for your PR application is likely to be questioned and may result in application delays.

TECC_Seneca

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry! My understanding is the LOE for BOWP is just to provide any additional explanation for your BOWP and not your initial PR. Don't you think they will cross reference anyway because we will provide the AOR? I mean if my give the LOE same as the that for my PR, I will have to attach all the other documents too and I am thinking this is redundant. What do you think?