+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridge Visa. PR application. HELP!

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
I have recently submitted my application for permanent residence to Canada via the CEC programme. In December it was announced that a new Bridge Open Work Permit would apply to people currently awaiting a final decision on their permanent residence applications, and who have less than four months left on their current work visa. SInce the programme is quite new and the requirements of just one year of professional work experience have come into effect, I have been able to apply under this programme. However, I now run into a dilemma. I have less than one month on my current working visa under the IEC and as I have worked in Canada beyond 12 months, fail to qualify for this programme again. As previously stated, I have applied for permanent residency but I am still waiting to receive my reference number that is required in order to apply for the new Bridging visa. I would like to know if I apply for the bridging visa while my current work visa is still valid, and send on the reference number to CIC as soon as I get it, would this qualify me for the bridging work visa. Would I be in implied status until a final decision is made and by being in implied status, does this mean I can work until a final decision on my application is made?

I have just been offered a new job that I really want to take but an LMO is probably out of the question. What's my best option?

caissaca

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
Applying for the open work permit automatically puts u in implied status, until a decision has been informed to you. When this has been done and you have not received your AOR from CEC application, you'll be out of status.

So if you can (not entirely sure if you can), try to apply both for an open work permit and a visitor visa/permit, to keep your status active. That is if you want to stay in the country without working. Because when your implied status is over and you have not been able to renew your work permit, working without status will make things worse (if they find out).

IMMI_123

Star Member
Jun 11, 2012
Hello IrishgirlTO,

Unfortunately you need AOR to apply BOWP. Once you apply BOWP ( before your current WP expiry), you will be in 'Implied Status' anc you can continue your current working conditions.

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
caissaca said:
Applying for the open work permit automatically puts u in implied status, until a decision has been informed to you. When this has been done and you have not received your AOR from CEC application, you'll be out of status.

So if you can (not entirely sure if you can), try to apply both for an open work permit and a visitor visa/permit, to keep your status active. That is if you want to stay in the country without working. Because when your implied status is over and you have not been able to renew your work permit, working without status will make things worse (if they find out).
Ok, I knew applying for the work permit puts me in implied status straight away. Does implied status only last for a certain length of time or until a decision has been made?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
irishgirlTO said:
Ok, I knew applying for the work permit puts me in implied status straight away. Does implied status only last for a certain length of time or until a decision has been made?
Until a decision is made.

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
IMMI_123 said:
Hello IrishgirlTO,

Unfortunately you need AOR to apply BOWP. Once you apply BOWP ( before your current WP expiry), you will be in 'Implied Status' anc you can continue your current working conditions.
Hi, I know that AOR is technically required to apply, however, I read somewhere on this forum that someone applied after they had implied/visitor status and still got approved for the BOWP.

I'm wondering if I apply for the BOWP without AOR, knowing I'll get rejected without it, but while I have implied status receive my AOR and then apply for the BOWP again, would that work?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
irishgirlTO said:
Hi, I know that AOR is technically required to apply, however, I read somewhere on this forum that someone applied after they had implied/visitor status and still got approved for the BOWP.

I'm wondering if I apply for the BOWP without AOR, knowing I'll get rejected without it, but while I have implied status receive my AOR and then apply for the BOWP again, would that work?
When did you submit your application and when does your visa expire?

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
jsm0085 said:
When did you submit your application and when does your visa expire?
My application for Permanent Residency was submitted last week and it was received at the CIO, Sydney March 11th and current work visa expires April 10th.

I know, I know.....I'm cutting it fine, but it took me this length to get documents together and especially since they changed the programme requirements to having just 12 months of work experience.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay...

So the CEC application doesn't give you implied status.

Your work permit expires on April 10th. I would put the BOWP application in around the 5th/6th with a detailed explanation letter... I.e. you expect to receive the AOR any day... the PR application has been submitted. Like you say, having the BOWP app in process will give you implied status and buy you some time... Hopefully you will get the AOR in time or they may be able to check and see the status of your application on the system...

Good luck - I hope it works out! The AOR requirement is a complete *bitch* and fails a large number of people who are in the same position as you.

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
jsm0085 said:
Okay...

So the CEC application doesn't give you implied status.

Your work permit expires on April 10th. I would put the BOWP application in around the 5th/6th with a detailed explanation letter... I.e. you expect to receive the AOR any day... the PR application has been submitted. Like you say, having the BOWP app in process will give you implied status and buy you some time... Hopefully you will get the AOR in time or they may be able to check and see the status of your application on the system...

Good luck - I hope it works out! The AOR requirement is a complete **censored word** and fails a large number of people who are in the same position as you.
Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I've been told to do by a few people. Submit for the BOWP anyways and hope for the best. I know the CEC doesn't give implied status but the BOWP does (well the application process anyways). I think they should be able to look up your file and see if it's been approved or in the process of being..and be able to approve you for BOWP. I hope it all works out...I'm in a dilemma now. It's awful when you've built a new life in a new country for almost two years and may have to leave it all because of timelines and paperwork! sigh.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel the same. The level of uncertainty is a nightmare... I bet you don't wanna go back to Ireland anymore than I wanna go back to England/Scotland! :)

chia_88

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
Med's Request
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
17-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
LANDED..........
15-02-2014
Im also from England! And I REFUSE to go back! lol

I just wanted to point out some information I recently read regarding a CEC applicant who applied for Open Work Permit and was refused, even though she had recieevd her AOR!!!!

This was very concerning to me! Becuase I am also waiting for my AOR in order to apply for an open work permit.

You might want to take a look at it!
Please also give your thoughts/suggestions about it, as it could happen to anyone of us! (God forbid!!)

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chia_88 said:
Im also from England! And I REFUSE to go back! lol

I just wanted to point out some information I recently read regarding a CEC applicant who applied for Open Work Permit and was refused, even though she had recieevd her AOR!!!!

This was very concerning to me! Becuase I am also waiting for my AOR in order to apply for an open work permit.

You might want to take a look at it!
Please also give your thoughts/suggestions about it, as it could happen to anyone of us! (God forbid!!)
Take a look at what - no link? ;)

chia_88

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-05-2013
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
Med's Request
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
17-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
LANDED..........
15-02-2014
jsm0085 said:
Take a look at what - no link? ;)
I meant go to the CEC homepage and look for it! The thread was started by IOANAG.

Since you want to be spoon fed: here's the link :p

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/need-advice-bridging-open-work-permit-and-extension-t131900.0.html

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chia_88 said:
I meant go to the CEC homepage and look for it! The thread was started by IOANAG.

Since you want to be spoon fed: here's the link :p

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/need-advice-bridging-open-work-permit-and-extension-t131900.0.html
wow... Huge error! Assuming she filled out the correct paperwork...