+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS-----Canadian Government Slashes Backlog

N

Nohope

The Government of Canada announced on 29 March 2012 a plan to reduce the backlog of Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) applications by returning all applications and government fees submitted prior to 27 February 2008. This will amount to a total of almost 300,000 returned applications, as well as approximately $130 million in refunded government processing fees.

Approximately 160,000 FSW applications, submitted after 28 February 2008, will remain in queue for processing.

The Announcement

This statement has been issued as part of the larger Federal Budget for 2012, which was released on 29 March. The budget includes information for reducing national deficit and creating more fiscally efficient government infrastructure, an integral part of which is tied to immigration policy and processing times. As part of this plan, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), is expected to reduce its operating costs by $179 million over the next three years.

The budget mentions that “Canada risks losing the global talent competition for the world’s best and brightest as potential immigrants choose to take their skills to other countries with more responsive immigration systems rather than remain in the queue to have their applications process in Canada”.

With this in mind, the decision was reached to not only return the approximately 300,000 applications, but to focus on creating a system that would streamline processing and “reduce duplication and overlap” in the overall structure.

Government Rationale

The applications being returned are currently only from the FSW program. No additional plans have yet been announced to address backlogs in other immigration categories.

CIC hopes that reducing application numbers will allow it to streamline its programs in a way that will eliminate overhead costs currently incurred by dealing with the backlog. For instance, some visa offices devote significant amounts of time and money to processing pre-2008 applications. With these out of the way, visa officers will be free to devote time and energy to processing applications that have a higher likelihood of approval under current government standards.

The decision is also part of a larger effort by CIC to “transition to a faster and more flexible economic immigration system”. This new system will be aimed at more accurately addressing Canadian labour market needs as well as better serving those applicants still in line to be processed. Currently, Canada is facing severe labour shortages, specifically in Western provinces where skilled tradespeople are in great demand.

It is important to note that, despite widespread austerity measures being imposed on most government departments, CIC is one of only five that are being asked to reduce operating costs by less than six percent. In fact, proposed upgrades to the Canadian immigration system are likely to cost over $25 million in upcoming years.

powpow-411

Star Member
Jun 13, 2009
Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/9/2007
Doc's Request.
16/2/2009
AOR Received.
23/03/2008
Med's Request
Still waiting
Passport Req..
Still waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Still waiting
LANDED..........
Still waiting
I just need some more clarification one this. I am a 2007 applicant from Jamaica. I have done my Police Record and submitted my documents in 2009. Does this new rule applies to me. Wil i be getting my application,documents and fees. My status shows in process.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
powpow-411 said:
I just need some more clarification one this. I am a 2007 applicant from Jamaica. I have done my Police Record and submitted my documents in 2009. Does this new rule applies to me. Wil i be getting my application,documents and fees. My status shows in process.
I'm sorry but I think your application and fees will be returned.

khans

May 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 march 2008
Doc's Request.
march 2009
IELTS Request
oct 2009
Med's Request
30 mar2010/16mar 2011(remed)
Med's Done....
same
Interview........
02 feb 2012
Passport Req..
13 April with remedical form
VISA ISSUED...
19th July 2012
LANDED..........
waiting
Dear Nohope

What about those applications (pre2008)who have undergone their medicals????

Will those applicants be saved?????

Regards

Khan's

msaleem216

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2007
Doc's Request.
10-03-2009
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
Passport Req..
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2014
LANDED..........
3rd December,2014 INSHA ALLAH
dear i think this backlog is between oct 2007 ----- feb2008 that cases r pending and i hope will remain continue in processing

punjabi

Apr 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got the nomination for PNP Pilot Program , Is this effect on me also .

ellaineherath

Jan 16, 2011
hi,

i am just new in this forum..i was very upset about the breaking news...what about the FSW applications for 2012? will it be more delayed? i just got our second file number in Manila VO...i am currently working here in alberta, canada but i choose to send our applications to Manila instead of Bufalo...i hope we made a good decision... :)

Neyo

Star Member
May 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2006
AOR Received.
10-02-2007
Med's Request
03-03-2012
Med's Done....
15-03-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-20012
msaleem216 said:
dear i think this backlog is between oct 2007 ----- feb2008 that cases r pending and i hope will remain continue in processing
How do you mean? It says pre 2008

mehulca

Oct 9, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2010
Doc's Request.
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
27-07-2010
IELTS Request
Result submitted with other documents
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
08-11-2012
Med's Done....
20-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
18-02-2013 received on 25-02-2013
LANDED..........
April 2013
punjabi said:
I got the nomination for PNP Pilot Program , Is this effect on me also .
This will affect applications in FSW program only, so you are not affected by the decision.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
ellaineherath said:
hi,

i am just new in this forum..i was very upset about the breaking news...what about the FSW applications for 2012? will it be more delayed? i just got our second file number in Manila VO...i am currently working here in alberta, canada but i choose to send our applications to Manila instead of Bufalo...i hope we made a good decision... :)
Hi, don't be worried. 2012 applications are no way affected by this. What is more, this will speed up future applications. It is sad though that CIC will return applications of those who have been waiting patiently for years :(
*Mandie*

saimahuz

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2011
AOR Received.
12-04-2011
File Transfer...
IP-03-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Notice – Questions and answers: Changes that affect Federal Skilled Worker applications

Q1. Why do you propose removing the FSW backlog?

Canada needs to select immigrants who are ready, willing and able to fully integrate into Canada's labour market and fill gaps in our economy, particularly where we have existing skills shortages.

The large backlog of applications that has accumulated under the Federal Skilled Worker Program is impeding the responsiveness of Canada's immigration system.

Canada risks losing the global talent competition for the world's best and brightest as potential immigrants choose to take their skills to other countries with more responsive immigration systems rather than remain in the queue to have their application processed in Canada.

Economic Action Plan 2012 therefore proposes to return applications and refund fees paid by certain federal skilled worker applicants who applied under previous criteria established prior to February 27, 2008.

Removing the backlog of FSW applications will allow CIC to focus on bringing in skilled immigrants who apply under the current eligibility criteria and are more suited for shortages in Canada's economy today.

Q2. Would I be affected if CIC removes the FSW backlog?

Under the proposed changes, CIC would close Federal Skilled Worker applicants' files if they:

applied before February 27, 2008, and
have not had a decision made by an immigration officer based on selection criteria by March 29, 2012. (information on selection criteria is below)

We expect this would affect around 280,000 people including dependents.

If the proposed law is passed, CIC would begin to return the full amount of fees paid by affected FSW applicants.

Q3. Is there any reason I would not get my refund?

The proposed changes are intended to be retroactive to March 29, 2012. If an immigration officer had refused your application based on selection criteria before that date, you will not get a refund.

Q4. What does a "decision based on selection criteria" mean?

A "decision based on selection criteria" means that an immigration officer:

has assessed your FSW application against the points grid, and
has made a decision on whether or not you meet the selection criteria of the program.

Currently, the pass mark is 67 points out of a grid worth 100 points. The grid considers the person's:

ability in English and/or French
education
work experience
whether they have a job already arranged in Canada (arranged employment), and
how well they might adapt to living in Canada (which awards points for things like previous work or study in Canada, spouse's education and relatives in Canada).

If your application is successful, you would move to the next phase (i.e. admissibility). At that point you would be checked against health, security and criminality requirements before being allowed to enter Canada.

If you do not score at least 67 on the FSW points grid, your application would be refused and CIC would inform you of the decision.

Q5. How would I get my refund?

More details on the proposed change will be announced soon. Once the proposal is approved through Parliament, CIC will begin to return the fees.

Details will be available on the CIC website.

Q6. What options would I have if my application is removed from the backlog?

If your file is closed by CIC, you may re-apply under the current FSW criteria. If you have the skills Canada needs now, your application would likely be processed much faster – new FSW applications are processed within 6-12 months.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/notice-qa.asp

czarjohn14

Nov 7, 2011
I share the sentiments of majority of applicants falling under this category. It is unjust for letting us hope for years and years only to be rejected at the end.

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
can anyone send a link to this new news?

Dr.Hasib

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Toronto,ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21 Jan 2012
muscattocanada said:
can anyone send a link to this new news?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-03-30a.asp

News Release – Government of Canada transforms economic immigration program

Ottawa, March 30, 2012 — To create a fast and flexible immigration system that creates jobs and promotes Canada's long term prosperity, the Government of Canada will eliminate the backlog in the main federal economic immigration program.

“The Federal Skilled Worker Program backlog is a major roadblock to Canada's ability to respond to rapidly changing labour market needs,” said Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney. “Having to process applications that are as many as eight years out of date reduces our ability to focus on new applicants with skills and talents that our economy needs today.”

As announced in Economic Action Plan 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada is planning to refund fees and return stale applications from nearly all those applicants who applied under the dated criteria in existence before February 27, 2008.

CIC is transforming its suite of economic immigration programs to create a just-in-time system that recruits people with the right skills to meet Canada's labour market needs, fast tracks their immigration, and gets them working in a period of months, not years. Eliminating the longstanding backlog of FSW applications will allow the Department to focus resources on facilitating the arrival of skilled immigrants who apply under the current eligibility criteria.

Under proposed legislation, CIC will close the files of FSW applicants who applied before February 27, 2008, and for whom an immigration officer has not made a decision based on selection criteria by March 29, 2012. This is expected to affect around 280,000 applicants, including their dependants. CIC will begin the process of returning the full amount of fees paid to the Department by these affected FSW applicants. For those who have passed the selection criteria stage – approximately 20,000 people – CIC will continue processing their applications until they are approved for entry into Canada or not.

Please note that, it's a proposal and yet to be approved by Parliament. Once the proposal is approved through Parliament, CIC will begin to return the application & fees.