+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brand new Canadian chiming in

BTrix

Sep 16, 2009
I had my oath in Scarborough today, yay!

I haven't posted much here but I've read a lot of stories and timelines in the last few years which have been very helpful, so I thought I'd give something back. So here's my complete timeline:

- I came to Canada in August 2002 for a grad program at Univ. Toronto. This gave me the first glimpse of immigration hassles: my studies were fully funded by UofT through research and teaching assistantships so I needed a letter from them confirming this. This came in May, so that's when I applied for a student permit, and I only got it in early August when I was already panicking since I had bought the airplane ticket quite a bit before and school was starting in early September.

- In 2004. I had to go back to my home country since my passport expired and I also needed a new student permit. This went smoothly - in person visit to the Vienna office and I got it the same day.

- In 2005 I applied for a postgrad work permit. I originally wanted to do Ph.D., but not being from a wealthy family, the prospect of another 4-5 years on an effective ~20K income (30K, but tuition was 10K) in Toronto wasn't appealing, so I took my M.Sc. and left. I think they still have this program, I could work for 1 year without LMO.

- In 2006. my company used an immigration lawyer to get me a TFW permit. I just provided documents and they took care of the rest.

- In 2008. TFW was extended for another 2 years.

In 2007. I started thinking about the PR process because I heard rumors of a new program for Canadian graduates and/or people with Canadian work experience which was supposed to be faster than FSW, so I waited. And waited, because it took a while before what is now known as CEC was implemented. And I also didn't apply immediately.

- I think it was Oct 2009 when I applied. This was indeed much faster than some people who I know went through FSW, so I became PR in May 2010.

- Because of 2 vacations I met the requirements for citizenship around end of July 2012.

Citizenship (no RQ):
- App received on August 27, 2012
- Processing started on Feb 15, 2013
- Test in Scarborough Dec 2, 2013
- Oath ceremony Jan 29, 2014

And so the journey ends. Still need to apply for the passport, but I'm in no hurry, and my home country is a EU member, so my existing passport isn't much worse than a Canadian when it comes to travelling.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations and thanks for a report. Your timeline and story is similar to mine in many parts.

Though, I think, back then with an EU passport I would have probably preferred to stay in Europe, e.g. in UK or Germany and later possible move from there directly to the US. What appeal did you find in Toronto compared to, say, London, UK?

BTrix said:
And so the journey ends. Still need to apply for the passport, but I'm in no hurry, and my home country is a EU member, so my existing passport isn't much worse than a Canadian when it comes to travelling.
I'm under impression that for a Canadian it's better to enter Canada using a Canadian passport when returning back, even if you can theoretically enter on other visa free passport, PLUS Canada will be implementing electronic authorization scheme (similar to the US program), so everybody except the US passport holders will have to get electronic authorization before traveling to Canada. Not sure how this will work for Canadians who would want to enter using some other passport.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
If a person has a Canadian citizenship and other citizenships, it is advised to enter on Canadian passport to Canada even if he or she has another passport that is visa exempt.

My son is dual Canadian and US citizen. US requires all US citizens (including those who have dual or multiple citizenships) to present themselves as US citizens before border officers. Therefore we got a US passport for our son before we traveled to US. On the way back, Canadian border officer asked us to present a Canadian passport for our son not his US.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
To use the new kiosks, you need have a Canadian passport or PR card. They are pretty efficient to use.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Congrats Btrix!

Easyrider,

If the goal is to enter US and work/stay there, one of the best ways to do it is to get into a top grad school in the US and then upon graduation finding a job in the US and then have a company sponsor for a green card thru H1B visa. Upon graduation from a program, most foreign students have 1 year work permit in the US called optional practical training, OPT.

It is easier for Canadian citizens to work in the US than EU/UK/other citizens because Canadians can qualify for a TN visa.

I worked for a company in the US and I needed H1B visa support and it was very difficult because there was a quota. I had a colleague who is from Canada. It was very easy for our employer to get him a TN status. My other colleagues from EU countries had the same problem like me.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Dejaavu said:
If a person has a Canadian citizenship and other citizenships, it is advised to enter on Canadian passport to Canada even if he or she has another passport that is visa exempt.

My son is dual Canadian and US citizen. US requires all US citizens (including those who have dual or multiple citizenships) to present themselves as US citizens before border officers. Therefore we got a US passport for our son before we traveled to US. On the way back, Canadian border officer asked us to present a Canadian passport for our son not his US.
He should enter the US as an American and enter Canada as a Canadian. Just beware that if he earns any money, he is legally obligated to file a US tax return regardless of where he lives.

BTrix

Sep 16, 2009
EasyRider said:
Congratulations and thanks for a report. Your timeline and story is similar to mine in many parts.

Though, I think, back then with an EU passport I would have probably preferred to stay in Europe, e.g. in UK or Germany and later possible move from there directly to the US. What appeal did you find in Toronto compared to, say, London, UK?
Back then I think Canada was actually easier to immigrate to than UK. My home country isn't one of the rich western European kind :)
I applied to half a dozen universities in USA and Canada, it's quite common for top students from where I come. UofT was the best for my field (Comp. Sci.) among the ones that accepted my application, probably top 10-20 in the world, so I went there.
Another reason for Toronto is that I had some family friends who helped me in the beginning.

BTrix

Sep 16, 2009
Dejaavu said:
I agree, and I will apply for a passport in a couple weeks and use it exclusively, since I do in fact live here for >11 months in a year. I'm not expecting any trips in the next few months, but if there's some emergency case, it shouldn't be a problem, my original country is visa exempt for Canada.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTrix said:
Back then I think Canada was actually easier to immigrate to than UK. My home country isn't one of the rich western European kind :)
I applied to half a dozen universities in USA and Canada, it's quite common for top students from where I come. UofT was the best for my field (Comp. Sci.) among the ones that accepted my application, probably top 10-20 in the world, so I went there.
Another reason for Toronto is that I had some family friends who helped me in the beginning.
I see, so you couldn't work or study in the UK without visa back then with your nationality? Now, I think, citizens of Czech Rep., Slovakia, Slovenia etc. can work freely in the UK and almost everywhere else in the EU. I was just interested what especially attractive did you find in Toronto/Canada back then, when you could live everywhere in EU. You had a plan?

Anyway, with a degree in CS you should probably go to the US anyway because there are much more interesting opportunities in IT there and it easily pays twice compared to Canada. It's easier to do with a TN visa, but if you're going to do this, it would make you a proverbial "Canadian on convenience", who leverages TN status to make money and career in the US. :)

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
Easyrider,

If the goal is to enter US and work/stay there, one of the best ways to do it is to get into a top grad school in the US and then upon graduation finding a job in the US and then have a company sponsor for a green card thru H1B visa. Upon graduation from a program, most foreign students have 1 year work permit in the US called optional practical training, OPT.

It is easier for Canadian citizens to work in the US than EU/UK/other citizens because Canadians can qualify for a TN visa.

I worked for a company in the US and I needed H1B visa support and it was very difficult because there was a quota. I had a colleague who is from Canada. It was very easy for our employer to get him a TN status. My other colleagues from EU countries had the same problem like me.
I agree it's easier to get job on TN status, though it's only for select occupations and definitely not everybody would be able to use this path, but, for instance, a plan to get Canadian citizenship primary to get access to TN status and the US job market, and spend around 10 years to get it seems a bit too far fetched for me.

That's why I was interested why someone would choose Toronto/Canada and invest time in it over any place of choice in the EU with whole European market and ability to transfer and work everywhere, i.e. what would be the obvious pros.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
European market is not as integrated as a US market. People do not move as much there from what I know and heard as they do in the US even less so than Canada. Also, if you do not speak know local languages it is very hard to get a job and most professions are protected/licenced. I worked in Finland and if you do not know Finnish it is almost impossible to work in Finland and it is similar in other countries of EU. London, UK would be a good place to work since it is a global city like NYC but other places I would think one would need to know a local language to be eligible for most jobs although one might be eligible to work as a EU citizen.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Also, given the recession, unemployment rate in EU countries esp among youth is very high. It is about 60% in Spain, Greece and about 25% in France. It is lower in Northern European countries but still much higher than in the US and Canada.

BTrix

Sep 16, 2009
EasyRider said:
I see, so you couldn't work or study in the UK without visa back then with your nationality? Now, I think, citizens of Czech Rep., Slovakia, Slovenia etc. can work freely in the UK and almost everywhere else in the EU. I was just interested what especially attractive did you find in Toronto/Canada back then, when you could live everywhere in EU. You had a plan?
None of those countries was even in EU in 2002.
I didn't really have a plan, except to get a Ph.D. and then either stay in academia or go to industry.

EasyRider said:
Anyway, with a degree in CS you should probably go to the US anyway because there are much more interesting opportunities in IT there and it easily pays twice compared to Canada. It's easier to do with a TN visa, but if you're going to do this, it would make you a proverbial "Canadian on convenience", who leverages TN status to make money and career in the US. :)
The company I work for pays pretty well, there are few in GTA that pay more for the same type of job. The only meaningful move would be to Silicon Valley to a company like Google or Apple. Some of my colleagues did that for about 30-50% more pay (one went to Google shortly after getting Cdn citizenship). Nothing to sneeze at, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to me. But it's definitely not "easily twice the pay".

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats BTrix,

Oh EasyRider! If only I could turn back time.
I actually had family in the States and my main goal was to go to the States and enter a program that was very appealing to me. After extensive research about universities...
However, for monetary reasons, I chose Canada. Canadian Universities are cheaper really than the US.

EasyRider said:

I'm under impression that for a Canadian it's better to enter Canada using a Canadian passport when returning back, even if you can theoretically enter on other visa free passport, PLUS Canada will be implementing electronic authorization scheme (similar to the US program), so everybody except the US passport holders will have to get electronic authorization before traveling to Canada. Not sure how this will work for Canadians who would want to enter using some other passport.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Links18,

That is true. That is what we do.
As for the IRS, yes all US citizens and greencard holders have to report their worldwide income and have to file no matter where they are. There is a price to pay to be a global power :)